Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I think it's funny that anyone would imagine that the student or the parent is somehow beholden to the school system. They have forgotten their place, and everyone else has forgotten as well. Like I said, a bunch of mini-Stalins.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I agree. I’ve been out of high school for 20 years now but when I was going on a hunting trip that’s exactly what my parents told the teachers. I grew up in a tiny rural community but even there a few of the teachers were very liberal looking back at it but I don’t remember ever being treated unfairly by them. I don’t have any kids but if I did you can bet your @$$ that the teachers would know exactly the type of trip they were going on. I will never hide who I am or what my values are based on the fact that a snowflake may not like it. As long as what you are doing is within the confines of the law then I say to hell with them. He will learn more about the real world in a week or two of hunting than he will in a month of indoctrinated BS in a classroom.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks all for the suggestions next year it’s out of state family vacation for sure accurate & all they need to know. Son asked my advice - he had a huge problem with authority made it less than 2 years before being asked to leave (he followed the “screw em” advice to a tee. You might guess dealing with teachers & administrators not his forte. But we seem to be on track so I’m not volunteering for anything yet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just send that kid to school.

He'll be LUCKY if he can squeeze a real education out of public school if he NEVER MISSED A DAY and he can still "learn to hunt" on the weekend. You know, just like most people who have a job.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck on your hunt. The kid is going on a family vacation and they (the teachers) need to deal with it.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 10/30/20.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by specneeds
Thanks all for the suggestions next year it’s out of state family vacation for sure accurate & all they need to know. Son asked my advice - he had a huge problem with authority made it less than 2 years before being asked to leave (he followed the “screw em” advice to a tee. You might guess dealing with teachers & administrators not his forte. But we seem to be on track so I’m not volunteering for anything yet.

You could tell them the kid is going to Mississippi to assist doctors in performing illegal abortions. Or that he is going to burn and loot in (insert random big city) in solidarity with his superior brown-skinned brothers. Or that he is going to go to a battleground state and help to rig the next election. There is zero reason why these "authorities" deserve the respect of being told the truth. Tell your son to have fun with them. That seems to help when dealing with "authorities" who have none.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I haven’t got a problem telling the minimum amount of truth - but still prefer to avoid knowingly lying to anyone - even on a forum. Life is much simpler that way.

Does that mean the wife gets a financial disclosure on the cost of elk hunting particularly paying for kids & grandkids - not that stupid.

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Consult the student handbook and look for the policy on makeup work. Some teachers don't follow policy and make their own rules.

Last edited by RNF; 10/31/20.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by specneeds
I haven’t got a problem telling the minimum amount of truth - but still prefer to avoid knowingly lying to anyone - even on a forum. Life is much simpler that way.

Does that mean the wife gets a financial disclosure on the cost of elk hunting particularly paying for kids & grandkids - not that stupid.

Since I retired my wife and I have been doing some financial planning, including setting up trusts for the kids, etc. She asked what my guns were worth and I replied "$10,000". While that is absolutely true, the full truth is they are worth probably double that. Planning to give most of them to my daughters and grandkids so the value really isn't much concern.

Also since I retired, I'll be hunting elk two rifle seasons this year 3rd and 4th. This is a first. A SIL will be hunting 3rd with me and a daughter and her hubby will join me for 4th. Rented a space at the Craig KOA for a month since it was cheaper than renting by the week for 2-1/2 weeks.

Wife asked what the KOA space cost, so I told her. She hasn't asked about other costs,(although I think she has a good idea), and I'm not volunteering.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
That’s chickencshit!

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
He has been quarantined for 14 days! E mail his home work assignments to xxx email.. Parents name.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
No need to lie to the school. No need to go into details either.

Johnny won't be at school from the 10th till the 20th. We need the makeup work.

When I was in school I believe we had 18 days we could miss without getting into trouble.

I kept my grades high and went hunting.

-Jake

They aren't entitled to any more than this.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Always good to remind them who works for who.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
First off... get the hell out of cal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by okie john
I learned very early not to tell anyone connected with the school district that my son was going hunting. It was always a trip to spend time with family members in another state.

Also, shouldn't this be the kind of things that his parents handle? Sometimes administrators and teachers are restricted in what they can do for anyone who's not a parent or guardian.

Okie John

Wise words above..

I took my 15 year old out of school for a moose hunt, and the attendance lady made him stay in after school detention for a week or two after we got back. I wrote the principal and talked with him but he wasn't going to tangle with that old biddy even though he agreed with me. I always felt bad that the kid got punished for my decision to take him, but he sloughed it off, well worth it to him.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Your first mistake is attempting to treat public school staff with respect. They are scum. End of story.especially administrative staff

You simply tell them that your son will be absent for family reasons, and they will assign him work ahead of time to be completed or they can shove the work up their asses, and should they try and penalize him your next visit withebthem you will have an attorney accompanying you

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Plenty of diverse opinions here................ Semi-random thoughts:

My guess is that each opinion presented here is about in line with that person's experiences when they were a student. Sure is easy to blame the school and The Suits in the Office.

Interesting that I saw [unless I missed it] any mention of the fact that the School Boards make these absence policies. Your bitch is with whoever makes the policies.... not just the people you talk to. And these policies may have been in place for a long time.

I did a LONG time teaching in a small public school in rural Minnesota. With any of those absence squabbles... been there done that.

I agree that the teen should be elk hunting. Without a doubt. There should be a way to arrange that. Unless he is one of those who rarely makes up the work missed. Had quite a few of those. Not all student's situations are alike. One size does not fit all.

Not all work can be assigned to be done out of the classroom. My 9th grade students did labs every week. Couldnt assign that ahead or out of the classroom.

Well into my years teaching, some of us on our faculty decided to keep a master list of all the reasons students provided for their absences... The list grew to about 40 reasons. Students WORK at finding ways to get out class. Anything to get out of class. Such as; miss all day friday to get hair done for the saturday night prom; Christmas shopping; 'have to take my car to get the oil changed' 'I was tired.' absent all day for a dentist appt 4 blocks away. on and on ad nauseum. sometimes 'hunting' was an acceptable excuse... and we arranged parent conferences to be during the week of deer hunting.... Students were off for 3 days.

Our Suits in the Office faced that crap daily so it was not surprising when they wrote absence guidelines for people to refer to. And you cant please everyone.

The key as said above is COMMUNICATION. With The Suits, not just the teachers. See the rules in the student handbook. Since the schools are responsible for the education process it follows that the students are responsible for being there to benefit from it. The case above should have been smoother to work out.

As for elk hunting...... Back in the day i got an offer i didnt want to refuse: elk hunting in Montana. So WAY AHEAD i read the rules for faculty absences. Planned way ahead. Sweet talked some people. Arranged a substitute. Worked really hard getting in shape for the steep slopes and the thin air. Spent a week in the Montana mountains with 3 good guys. Wonderful. The bull with my name on it didnt come around MY side of that brush patch. I could hear him..................... Did get a nice mule deer. My bride told me that after i came home 2 weeks or more passed before i got back to normal...

Probably the teen should have been able to go hunting................ depending on some details. We cant always do what we want. no easy answer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by szihn
Home school

Yup ....... I can take the grandkids hunting or to the range any time I want.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Originally Posted by okie john
I learned very early not to tell anyone connected with the school district that my son was going hunting. It was always a trip to spend time with family members in another state.

Also, shouldn't this be the kind of things that his parents handle? Sometimes administrators and teachers are restricted in what they can do for anyone who's not a parent or guardian.

Okie John

Wise words above..

I took my 15 year old out of school for a moose hunt, and the attendance lady made him stay in after school detention for a week or two after we got back. I wrote the principal and talked with him but he wasn't going to tangle with that old biddy even though he agreed with me. I always felt bad that the kid got punished for my decision to take him, but he sloughed it off, well worth it to him.

The next person that old bitch would be talking to would by my lawyer!

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Call in sick and tell them he lost his sense of taste and smell. That should get him a week of scouting plus the hunt. The best part is he can do this over and over because supposedly there is no immunity.

No way; I wouldn’t teach my kid it’s ok to lie when “you’re right”. That can flip around and burn ya real fast.

Originally Posted by Sevens
Echoing the comments to say he is going on a family vacation and I would emphasize to the kid to say the same in front of his teacher. Don't need to provide anymore details than that. Keep it simple, believable, and vague.

Something I was taught as a kid, you need to know your audience.

Yep. None of their business the details.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 65 invisible), 3,013 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,620
Posts18,533,042
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.