Print Thread
Hop To
B
bufaf Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I'm gonna call it about 85-90%. Ventilated pad added. Any idea on value? This one has me stumped.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ventilated pad kills the value. I'm going to assume you know it is a genuine supergrade. Stamped in all the right areas and has correct supergrade parts. A thread like this needs pics. I wish guys would post appropriate pics in these threads. The barreled action needs to be removed and take some pictures, post them in the thread..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
IIRC barrels in that era may or may not be stamped SUPER.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve got a Transition ‘06 Supergrade that doesn’t have the “S” stamped under the barrel. Everything else is correct. I have no doubt its legit. Value on the OP’s gun is what someone will pay. The Collector value is gone. It’’s still a great gun though.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
As described I'd say $1200-$1400.

IC B2

B
bufaf Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for posting the pics bufaf. Too bad about the stock. Recoil pad added and cut out for a rear peep/aperture sight. An unmolested supergrade cloverleaf tang stock in excellent condition would bring over $1,000.00. Now with the condition of the stock, your rifle is probably only worth about $1,200.00-$1,350.00..... Maybe a bit more in an online auction. Some things have been selling to guys that don't know what they are bidding on, for decent prices. Your rifle looks like it has honest wear on it, nothing that looks concerning to me though... I'd find the filler screws for the rear of the receiver. Does it have the original front ramp, supergrade sight and hood?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
bufaf Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
It does have the front sight and hood. There is a filler in the rear sight slot.

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I

If this was my SG rifle... I'd: Replace the existing pad with a repro red Winchester Super Grade pad. That's generally conceded to be a proper substitution for an ancient, disintegrating factory pad. Purchase a Lyman or Redfield receiver sight matching the proximate area divot indicative of such prior installation, Install the base, scope clearances permitting, & retain the slide to accompany the rifle as a switch/option. If insufficient clearance w/scope; keep the whole receiver sight assembly as accessory to the rifle. Also, acquire an original pattern "transition" safety! If the rifle is indeed a 1947 vintage, 'presumably' all top-mount scope holes are factory original! Super Grade stocks often wore pads in 'medium to heavy' chamberings. Also, commonly factory furnished with optional receiver sights, Lyman or Redfield most commonly.
The addendum, unless I simply missed it, no reference to chambering here. Such, beyond 30-06 & .270 Win,, potentially greatly affecting market value.
I intentionally reserve commentary concerning the presence/absence of the "S" under-barrel marking.
Best & Stay Safe!
John

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by iskra

If this was my SG rifle... I'd: Replace the existing pad with a repro red Winchester Super Grade pad. That's generally conceded to be a proper substitution for an ancient, disintegrating factory pad. Purchase a Lyman or Redfield receiver sight matching the proximate area divot indicative of such prior installation, Install the base, scope clearances permitting, & retain the slide to accompany the rifle as a switch/option. If insufficient clearance w/scope; keep the whole receiver sight assembly as accessory to the rifle. Also, acquire an original pattern "transition" safety! If the rifle is indeed a 1947 vintage, 'presumably' all top-mount scope holes are factory original! Super Grade stocks often wore pads in 'medium to heavy' chamberings. Also, commonly factory furnished with optional receiver sights, Lyman or Redfield most commonly.
The addendum, unless I simply missed it, no reference to chambering here. Such, beyond 30-06 & .270 Win,, potentially greatly affecting market value.
I intentionally reserve commentary concerning the presence/absence of the "S" under-barrel marking.
Best & Stay Safe!
John

It has a transition safety lever. Also, your sprucing it up by replacing the recoil pad does nothing to add value. I'd say, the OP can do what he wants with the rifle, but it would make no difference in collector value if he went with a red pachmayr or left the ventilated unoriginal recoil pad on there or went with your suggestion. The Galazan/repro pad is not nearly as good as the pachmayr at reducing felt recoil. It also looks orange in color and not nearly as good as the red pachmayr. Again, just because your suggestion says "Winchester" on it, doesn't mean it will bring the value up on said rifle. Also, if you read the title of the thread, you'll get your reference to chambering you are wondering about, hence "missed it"...

BSA MAGA
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Too rushed last night! smile Confirming: 30-06 & correct factory safety. The cost of a receiver sight from such as eBay and I do believe conforming red "Winchester" nomenclature pads are available... An "aesthetically conforming" Super Grade achieved and my estimate of a good investment return. Win - Win for your "Win"! smile
Two 'en route' considerations. Pulling the scope if necessary to confirm correct appearing holes & spacing. There are figures thrown about of around SN 62K as moving to tapping receiver bridge and phase out of clip guides. Not always such neatly packaged stats in reality! Second, niceties of length of pull changes concerning any pad swapping. Should by minimal, but to confirm ergonomics 'fit'.
Thanks BSA for pointing up my "observational deficits"! smile
A handsome rifle there and one where particularly, "originality" counts. The fact of a fresh new Win pad, itself notice of such "restoration".

Best, Happy Thanksgiving, Stay Safe!
John

Addendum: Returning to post few pix. My own "Transition era", SN 69K range SG in .257 Roberts, w/cloverleaf tang. Condition not as nice as the subject rifle. 'Poignant pix' of original 'rock hardened' recoil pad. Retaining, as great for "originality factor", dumb for aesthetics, more so for any practical field use! The collector dilemma and 'generally', replacement considered "ethical" restoration.

Attached Images
Win 70 SG 257 R.jpg (22.77 KB, 129 downloads)
Win 70 SG Pad 257 R.jpg (12.12 KB, 122 downloads)
Last edited by iskra; 11/24/20. Reason: Adding photos/comment
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Iskra: I was born in 1947 and I recall specifically the the Model 70 of that year had the same safety lever as depicted in Bufaf's (OP) pictures.
Naw just funnin there - I do have some transition Model 70's and that is the correct safety lever.
In fact one of the few pre-64 Model 70's I still Hunt with is a July 1947 production custom that I had built in 280 Remington. I chose that month of manufacture as it was my birth month. The safety is the original on this custom Rifle - and in my lengthy experience this is THE safest safety lever of all time!
It is just about impossible to "accidentally" move this safety in any direction!
Shame that this once superb Rifle has been so diminished by "bubba" type changes.
I won't even attempt an appraisal on this one.
Long live the Riflemans Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by iskra
Too rushed last night! smile Confirming: 30-06 & correct factory safety. The cost of a receiver sight from such as eBay and I do believe conforming red "Winchester" nomenclature pads are available... An "aesthetically conforming" Super Grade achieved and my estimate of a good investment return. Win - Win for your "Win"! smile
Two 'en route' considerations. Pulling the scope if necessary to confirm correct appearing holes & spacing. There are figures thrown about of around SN 62K as moving to tapping receiver bridge and phase out of clip guides. Not always such neatly packaged stats in reality! Second, niceties of length of pull changes concerning any pad swapping. Should by minimal, but to confirm ergonomics 'fit'.
Thanks BSA for pointing up my "observational deficits"! smile
A handsome rifle there and one where particularly, "originality" counts. The fact of a fresh new Win pad, itself notice of such "restoration".

Best, Happy Thanksgiving, Stay Safe!
John

Addendum: Returning to post few pix. My own "Transition era", SN 69K range SG in .257 Roberts, w/cloverleaf tang. Condition not as nice as the subject rifle. 'Poignant pix' of original 'rock hardened' recoil pad. Retaining, as great for "originality factor", dumb for aesthetics, more so for any practical field use! The collector dilemma and 'generally', replacement considered "ethical" restoration.

The only "Winchester" pads you are going to find are made by Galazan. They are a repro pad and can be spotted a mile away. Theres no "win win" there at all. Its also an ugly orange color and they are a hard pad. The red pachmayr looks better and absorbs more recoil. Also this rifle didnt originally come with a recoil pad. If it did, as in special order ", that still doesn't matter, without proper proof. Your ideas are great, if it were your rifle. You just might be able to convince someone out there its all original after all your work is done. There are suckers out there that dont know what they are looking at or buying. We've seen that with 2 examples recently in threads I started. Im not one for trying to pull the wool over someones eyes, but others are i guess.

BSA MAGA
B
bufaf Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I just picked up a really nice custom pre war 30/06 that will replace this one, so this one is now available on gunbroker, item #887398845

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 14,714 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,180
Posts18,543,185
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.