Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Northwest MO, family farm straddles the Worth/Harrison county line. Now live just north of the border in Iowa.

3 greats grandfather and pregnant wife left Indiana in 1839 headed for Kansas to homestead. They were on foot, traveled on their own, everything they had was loaded on one horse that they led. Had to stop for winter and built a cabin in Harrison county.. Stayed a while.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
North of the "Show Me State", in NW Iowa here.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Born and bred, and yes it is getting crowded.

CK
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My brothers..............

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MJones
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I'm from several places, one of them where I'm at right now. Another is from Little Dixie...Salisbury, Missouri.

I always figured you were one of the Fires good guys .
I am probably undeserving of that compliment, but thank you anyway, sir.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

How many dimes did you see on Coles headstone ?

What is the meaning of the dimes?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Raised in central MO. Now living just south of KC.

He went over yonder way
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
When I moved to KC I thought Missouri was odd about their politics...

Then I noticed their DNR / Department of wildlife is about 500 times better than the one in Kansas.

After which I saw some of the Cass County polictical crazy ness... and now years later - I get it...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by carden1
I’m from the Burnt District also. Pleasant Hill in Cass County.
Live SW of St Louis now but have lots of family still there.

My wife is from P -Hill.

PM incoming

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
Born and bred, and yes it is getting crowded.

Especially where you are.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Missouri River makes up a couple miles of the southern border of our little dirt farm.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
When I moved to KC I thought Missouri was odd about their politics...

Then I noticed their DNR / Department of wildlife is about 500 times better than the one in Kansas.

After which I saw some of the Cass County polictical crazy ness... and now years later - I get it...

I agree with you about the DNR. I lived in Anderson county Ks from 3rd grade all through high school. Have a lifetime license for Kansas,but haven't hunted there for a few years. Used to spend a ton of time on the public ground in Linn county. To many hoops to jump through to go go there now.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
In 1882 my great great grandfather David Lewis lived in Sun Prairie Wisconsin. He went west and homesteaded in Mina South Dakota, with his son James Harry.
If you stayed on the land for 7 years, and farmed it and built a house, you got a quarter section for free. 1/4 of a square mile. So they both had a quarter section.
And James Harry had 8 children and the Lewis family was a big force there in little Mina by 1923, when my father was born.

The Depression hit in 1929, and even worse, the Dust Bowl. Dad said it didn't rain for 3 years and even worse, it didn't snow. An agricultural catastrophe.
The Lewis families packed up and left, went west to Seattle and east to St. Paul.

I went to Mina in the year 2000 to see the old Lewis homestead. Hell, I was even thinking I might try to buy one of the old farm houses, and just move in.
It was gone! During the Dust Bowl, the houses were sold, they jacked them up and put them on wheels and moved them away.
All that was left was the foundation, it was made of rocks piled up.
And the well. Six feet diameter, and sixty feet deep, brick lined. That was something, to think of great grandfather James Harry digging that well by hand in 1883.

My grandfather Frank Lewis was the station master at the silo at the railroad tracks in Ree Heights SD. I went over there and his office, although it closed fifty years ago, is still there. I walked in the door and grandpa Frank's leather chair was still there, the scale is still there. The only remnants of the Lewis family in South Dakota.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lived in Missouri my last two years of HS as my Dad was stationed at Fort Lost in da Woods. My folks retired to a small sleepy town outside the fort, then moved up to the Northwestern part of the state. Over the past 30+ years I've hunted some mighty fine deer in MO! Turkey hunting outside of the Mark Twain National Forest was outstanding.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by limofarm
Southwest Missouri here , Webster county. And yes there’s too many people

Likely your talking about those 25 Democrat votes that were cast in the last election. Were trying to activate a plan to relocate them to Chicago. GW grin

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

can't see myself ever living east of the Divide

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm from the Ozark's. I hunt and fish in counties that are mostly public ground for the entire county, populations of people under 10k, with good populations of deer, turkey, hogs, bears, the occasional big cat, wild elk and even a herd of wild horses. I'm related to a fellow named Sam Hildebrand. If you don't know who he was, his rifle was named "Old Kill Devil" and Sam reportedly personally killed over 100 Union soldiers and spies in retaliation for the burning of his farm and murder of his 13 year old brother by northern troops. Quite a story. The Ozarks are not a bad place to be.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Texas County born and bred since the 1840's. Moms side of the family came for the timber. Family rumor has it Dads family were on their way to California when their wagon broke down in Missouri, and they never got around to getting it fixed. Thank God for breakdowns.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I grew up in St. Francois County. Moved out after high school but the family is still there. Went to college in Rolla. Best college for having access to public land. I could be fishing for trout, bass, or be in a tree stand in 15 minutes. There was a reason engineering school took 5 years instead of 4.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Born and raised in the Savannah, MO area. We are a bedroom community of St. Joseph, you know the whole Pony Express and Jesse James thing that made us “famous “😃
Our town is nice but St Joe is getting sketchy. Lots of bums and the pork plant has attracted many “foreigners “. I like it here for the most part. Easy access to Missouri River where I spend a lot of time when I can.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We've had a place in Worth CO. for nearly 50 years, just an old house where my wife's family lived on and off that we had bought for a 'touch base' while in uniform but never used personally. Lots of family around Albany.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (2500HD, 300_savage, 1973cb450, 338reddog, 204guy, 20 invisible), 1,738 guests, and 1,041 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,051
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.