-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
In the latest issue of RLN Eileen had a recipe for peanut butter cookies. Being an unrepentant cookieholic I made them the other day. They lasted about 4 days until they were gone. Even my wife who is not a great cookie fan couldn't keep from nabbing one when passing through the kitchen.
Also Eileen had some great stories in the last issue. She is giving John some real competition in the hunting story department.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
that is so cool luv me some cookies!!!!!!!!!!!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Blacktailer,

She's making another batch today!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

They lasted 4 days?!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 5sdad

They lasted 4 days?!

Musta been a big batch!

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The recipe in RLN makes from about 2-3 dozen, depending on the size of the cookies. In the size Eileen made, one recipe made around 30.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Making my mouth water!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I love her cookbooks, have learned more from them about cooking wild game than anywhere else.

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Good to hear! Can she quote you on that?

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dobegrant
I love her cookbooks, have learned more from them about cooking wild game than anywhere else.

Haven't we all?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I enjoy her stories as well. Always a pleasure to speak with her when I order stuff. John’s very fortunate that she lets him live with her.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Sure

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Dobegrant

I have learned more about cooking period.

My mother-in-law grew up in a yours, mine and ours blended family on a large working place that fed more than 30 people at a sitting and so learned only her own part of the cooking growing up. Great hot breads and nothing more. My wife was subsequently well taught by her mother to do what she herself had not that is to bring complete cooking to the marriage and I never learned beyond bull-cook skills.

Maybe the Joy of Cooking or some such would have worked to learn after my wife died but it didn't.

Bottom line I find here directions I can follow and that I can make sense of. In my admittedly limited experience wild game cooking is not much different from any other cooking. One of my most memorable meals with friends was home cooking by a recent immigrant from mainland China using home town family recipes with black bear in the place of pork.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks for all the comments, guys. Eileen will show up sometime soon as well--but she has been very busy lately, both cooking and writing up recipes.

I also would like to note that she just started the 12 days of Christmas sale on www.riflesandrecipes.com: All the game cookbooks are 12% off until Christmas. Just type Sale, exactly like that in the coupon box.

I should also mention (as I have in the thread about a Black Friday sale at R&R) that there's ALREADY been already a sale on two of our books (which has been on since early October and will continue in definitely) , my SHOTGUNS FOR WINGSHOOTING and Eileen's UPLAND BIRD COOKERY. Both are $5 off the regular price--which is an even better deal than the 12% sale. Again, just type Sale in the coupon code.

John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Just wanted to thank everyone for saying such nice things. That cookie thing is so simple: 1 cup sugar, 1 cup creamy peanut butter and 1large egg. Mix them together and roll into 1 to 1 1/2 inch balls, then cook at 325F for 10-12 minutes until they just start to brown.
I've been playing with my food again--this time turkey leftovers. For lunch we had a couple of test pizzas: My favorite was a turkey, mini-bello mushrooms, gruyere cheese and gravy pizza.
John liked the turkey, green enchilada sauce, salsa and cheddar cheese pizza. We used a commercial turkey, just because it was our day off, but if you have leftover wild turkey, that works too. I posted one leftover recipe yesterday--a pseudo-Cornish Pasty turkey and apple pie recipe--on John's Facebook page, and will post these pizzas later this afternoon.

And thanks again for all the nice things you're saying. I love it. I never know if I'm giving too much info. But I think game cookbooks should be just as much about the basics of cooking as general population cookbooks. Silly me.

On appetites: "If I had to wait until I was hungry to eat, I'd never eat."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
So when are you going to make more cookies?

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
So when are you going to make more cookies?

Just was reminded (by Eileen walking into the living-room while eating a peanut-
butter cookie) that she DID make another batch of cookies--but she "hid" them from both of us so they'd last longer. Apparently she remember the hiding place better than I did....

John Steinbeck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1minute, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,840
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.