Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey All,

I am trying to figure out which replacement trigger I want to try in my AR 15. I have a S&W M&P Sport II and the trigger pull is north of 7lb. I would like to get something which would have a pull weigt somewhere between 2 and 3.5 lb. I am not sure if I want a single stage or double stage trigger. I would like the installation to be easy and the trigger reliable. What would you suggest?

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/CM...ngle-Stage-Drop-In-Tri-p/cmc-91501ar.htm

I installed this trigger in my sons AR. It is crisp and would recommend it. There are others on here that are more knowledgeable than me on the AR triggers. I just cannot stand a creepy trigger, I’ve been shooting bolt actions for so long that the stock AR triggers are unacceptable to me.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by barm
Hey All,

I am trying to figure out which replacement trigger I want to try in my AR 15. I have a S&W M&P Sport II and the trigger pull is north of 7lb. I would like to get something which would have a pull weigt somewhere between 2 and 3.5 lb. I am not sure if I want a single stage or double stage trigger. I would like the installation to be easy and the trigger reliable. What would you suggest?

That makes it more difficult for us to make suggestions, if you don't know if you want a single stage or 2 stage trigger. My own personal preference goes to the 2 stage, but most of mine are precision built AR's. I know most here are going to suggest the Larue tactical MBT2s, without even questioning your wants and needs. However, For the money, the MBT2s is damn hard to beat. The same can be said for the RRA 2 stage varmint match trigger. The RRA is a 3.5 pound pull weight 2 stage trigger and I have quite a few of them. They are excellent, but some of them have had to have a minor amount of polishing done to them to equal the feel of the Larue MBT2s. It seems like the first stage can be gritty on the RRA, in my own personal experience. Hence the need for a small amount of polishing. For $80.00, its hard to complain about either of these triggers and would be my suggestion if you are on a strict budget. The next step up might be a Geiselle SSA or SSA-E. I also have some buddies that swear by the Geiselle G2S, but I seriously doubt they have tried the $80.00 Larue tactical. They would probably throw their G2S away... Now, you are looking for a very easy trigger to install. Nothing is easier than a drop in unit like the CMC single stage trigger maddog suggested. I have one in one of my AR's and I have no complaints about it at all. The only difference between mine and the one maddog suggested is the one I have has a flat shoe. Something the OP should be aware of is, in general an AR trigger (of any kind) is extremely simple to change out.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MadDog4298
https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/CM...ngle-Stage-Drop-In-Tri-p/cmc-91501ar.htm

I installed this trigger in my sons AR. It is crisp and would recommend it. There are others on here that are more knowledgeable than me on the AR triggers. I just cannot stand a creepy trigger, I’ve been shooting bolt actions for so long that the stock AR triggers are unacceptable to me.

Thank you for the suggestion.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by barm
Hey All,

That makes it more difficult for us to make suggestions, if you don't know if you want a single stage or 2 stage trigger. My own personal preference goes to the 2 stage, but most of mine are precision built AR's. I know most here are going to suggest the Larue tactical MBT2s, without even questioning your wants and needs. However, For the money, the MBT2s is damn hard to beat. The same can be said for the RRA 2 stage varmint match trigger. The RRA is a 3.5 pound pull weight 2 stage trigger and I have quite a few of them. They are excellent, but some of them have had to have a minor amount of polishing done to them to equal the feel of the Larue MBT2s. It seems like the first stage can be gritty on the RRA, in my own personal experience. Hence the need for a small amount of polishing. For $80.00, its hard to complain about either of these triggers and would be my suggestion if you are on a strict budget. The next step up might be a Geiselle SSA or SSA-E. I also have some buddies that swear by the Geiselle G2S, but I seriously doubt they have tried the $80.00 Larue tactical. They would probably throw their G2S away... Now, you are looking for a very easy trigger to install. Nothing is easier than a drop in unit like the CMC single stage trigger maddog suggested. I have one in one of my AR's and I have no complaints about it at all. The only difference between mine and the one maddog suggested is the one I have has a flat shoe. Something the OP should be aware of is, in general an AR trigger (of any kind) is extremely simple to change out.

I have changed triggers on several bolt actions and I just put a Wild West trigger in my Marlin 1894. I have some mechanical ability, I just wanted something I couldn't make a mistake and end up with something which would be unsafe or something you had to constantly mess with to stay adjusted. I did not want to pick single or two stage until I heard some reasons why people chose one over the other. It's a new platform for me.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would not use a 2# AR trigger on a bet!

Personally, I'd get a 2 stage - they are safer and more reliable. A 2 stage can have a 4.5# pull overall and still have a safe, crisp, 2# final pull. Without doubling or slam firing.

Politics is War by Other Means
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Personally, I'd get a 2 stage - they are safer and more reliable. A 2 stage can have a 4.5# pull overall and still have a safe, crisp, 2# final pull. Without doubling or slam firing.

Thanks. Do you have a favorite manufacturer for 2 stage triggers?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Geissele SSA-E. Little pricey at regular price, but you might be able to pick one up on sale with Black Friday.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have several of the Rock River 2 stage AR triggers, and I will highly recommend them.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Geissele SSA-E. Little pricey at regular price, but you might be able to pick one up on sale with Black Friday.

I will keep an eye out for Black Friday deals.

IC B3

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have several of the Rock River 2 stage AR triggers, and I will highly recommend them.

Thank you, JamesJr.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have been looking at all of the triggers recommended and some more. Has anyone used Triggertech? If so, how did you like their triggers?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got 2 of the TT's last year on Black Friday. I think they're doing it again this year. So far they've been great, but the only thing I have to compare them to is a cmc...

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I got 2 of the TT's last year on Black Friday. I think they're doing it again this year. So far they've been great, but the only thing I have to compare them to is a cmc...

Awesome!!! Thanks for the heads up on the Black Friday sale. I will be watching for it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Another vote for the Geissele SSA-E

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Perfect Storm to get what you want, really, with Black Friday right around the corner.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Perfect Storm to get what you want, really, with Black Friday right around the corner.

Thats always the best time to look for a good trigger. Prices are much better. However, I wonder with this year being different how things are going to be? I was on Geiselles's site and they say the SSA-E's are out of stock... Right to bear arms usually has triggers marked way down on their deal of the day sales too, but not too much going on there either.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You dont' know me from squat. RRA NM or Varmint depending on weight. They sometimes need a tiny bit of tuning or a few hundred rounds but for the cost you can't beat em. You have to get used to 2 stage but thats really the only way I feel comfortable with light weight in an AR unless its a total cartridge trigger.

La Rue has the same out too. Not sure of the model. I personally know both groups and I have personal issues with La Rue so I stick with the guys at RRA.

So far.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
You dont' know me from squat. RRA NM or Varmint depending on weight. They sometimes need a tiny bit of tuning or a few hundred rounds but for the cost you can't beat em. You have to get used to 2 stage but thats really the only way I feel comfortable with light weight in an AR unless its a total cartridge trigger.

La Rue has the same out too. Not sure of the model. I personally know both groups and I have personal issues with La Rue so I stick with the guys at RRA.

So far.
Yeah, Jeff, I've been rockin' a couple RRs for almost 20 years. Tune them up once every decade or so. The LaRue MBT2S is another good, popularly priced trigger. I've only had that one a couple years. No problems.

But if you want to all-out trigger, the Geissele NM trigger in match rifle configuration is the one to get. It's adjustable.

Politics is War by Other Means
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

301 members (1lesfox, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 25 invisible), 1,831 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,828
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.