-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knife with the orange grippy handle so I won't set it down and lose it. Love it. Have plenty of good knives too, but I just don't like sharpening knives anymore.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
GB1

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've been getting by with a Case XX Trapper and a folding saw from Gerber for more than 20 years. See no reason to change something that has been working well. But that is just me.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I use nothing but a havalon piranta to take a deer (or anything else, including moose) from being whole to completely skinned, quartered and broken down.. At times I will also carry a Wyoming Saw or a Gränsfors Bruk outdoor axe, for taking off skull plates.

I may as well sell my other knives, but old habits die hard so I still carry a sturdy fixed blade in my pack. I haven't used it in years though.

I need to try one of those Havalons.
Get the Gerber version, Vital I think it's called. Pretty much the same thing, but changing blades is way easier/safer on the Gerber. I have both and very much dig a small, sharp, flexibile blade for taking critters apart. I use a #60A blade in one for most of the work, but use a #70 blade in the other. The #70 has a rounded tip making it very good for skinning.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I always carry a sharp knife and a Sagan Saw. This year I used a Pendleton Lite Hunter from Cold Steel, a Harvey King small game, and an Opinel #9

If we haul them back to camp before field dressing them, I'd skip the Sagan Saw and use a pair of limb loppers to cut the pelvic bone.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tomahawk and a filet knife or other sharp skinning knife.

Last edited by JackRyan; 11/23/20.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The little Barky on the bottom.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knife with the orange grippy handle so I won't set it down and lose it. Love it. Have plenty of good knives too, but I just don't like sharpening knives anymore.

I like that one too. Can skin a couple deer before blade needs changing out, and blades are fairly cheap. I keep an old Buck Vanguard for the heavy-duty cuts.

Now with even more aplomb
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Originally Posted by jwall
I use Gut Hooks every time. I have one that zips the hide.

I don't recall ever seeing a tool used for zipping the hide other than my knife.....can you post a pic/link?

I have an 'old' Winchester brand skinner with gut hook. It's g h is on the larger size and works great on zipping the hide.
I have a Remington lock folder with a small gut hood. It's great for opening the body cavity.

The Win is a great skinner and the larger gut hook works 'better' on the hide.
The Rem gut hook is smaller and is better on the thinner abdomen layers w/o 'hooking' the entrails.

Both g hs can be sharpened with a ceramic stick.

Last edited by jwall; 11/23/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Did two does this past Saturday with the new stonehocker spike

Also did two with a cheap kershaw just because buddy thought his cheap kershaw was as good as the spike. It ‘twasnt but still worked out okay

Never split pelvis personally. Skin and Quarter out with just a knife. Don’t need axe or saw. Some do use them and I respect that. More than one way to skin that cat for sure

Although maybe I should tell the Wife I been doing it wrong and buy a sweet hatchet!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JPro

I like that one too. Can skin a couple deer before blade needs changing out, and blades are fairly cheap. I keep an old Buck Vanguard for the heavy-duty cuts.

Gutted and skinned 4 bucks last week with that knife.

Just for kicks, I touched the blade up on the Spyderco Sharpmaker after each deer and it only took about 30 seconds to get the blade shaving sharp again. The same blade, has been used to gut and skin 6 deer now. I know those replaceable blade knives have no "soul", but they sure are convenient. And I actually enjoy sharpening a knife.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don’t gut them any more. Just skin them, take the back straps, debone the hindquarters and the shoulders.

Being a hobbiest woodworker, I’m a whiz at sharpening, so I do some rough work with my pocket Griptilian and then the detail work with a thin blade Browning folder.

Somewhere years ago I read where somebody no longer gutted the deer. So I couldn’t help but wonder why I was getting them, other than the fact that I had been gutting them for 40 years without ever asking myself why. So I quit doing it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

24 blades about 40 bucks. A lifetime supply.

LOL
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 603Country
I don’t gut them any more.. . . .

Somewhere years ago I read where somebody no longer gutted the deer. So I couldn’t help but wonder why I was getting them, other than the fact that I had been gutting them for 40 years without ever asking myself why. So I quit doing it.

Been 10 years or more since I opened up a deer.
Because of all the parasites and new diseases
going around, I won't eat deer innards anymore,
plus I don't like getting all that splintery smashed
bone in my hands. Way worse than cactus spines

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lemme guess. Mask-tard, too?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
knife, sagen saw, my version of a deer zipper. Buck cross lock as backup for all of the above.

Trying a butt out tool that was given to my by a fellow hunter in the crew. First attempt broke off some of the gut in the channel so jury is out still.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lonny

Gutted and skinned 4 bucks last week with that knife.

Just for kicks, I touched the blade up on the Spyderco Sharpmaker after each deer and it only took about 30 seconds to get the blade shaving sharp again. The same blade, has been used to gut and skin 6 deer now. I know those replaceable blade knives have no "soul", but they sure are convenient. And I actually enjoy sharpening a knife.

+3

I’ve done a couple of moose and a few deer with the same blade, running it over a honing steel from time to time. The nice thing about these OE blades is that they’re sturdy enough to break apart a deer sternum, and they can be sharpened a bit so you can prolong blade replacement. Blade changes are easy and safe, too. When the edge gets too dull to bring back with some honing, I swap it out. Used this way, blades are very cheap and a bulk pack will get a guy a lot of cutting.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
We've always dropped our deer at the processor so we could get jerky, sticks, etc. but I'm thinking about cutting them up and doing this ourselves next year. So for you guys that process your own, do you remove all the meat in the field and bring it home in coolers or do you bring the deer home and clean it up there? If you have a nice setup for processing, I'd appreciate details and pics!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Schrade golden spike knife and a sagen saw

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We've always dropped our deer at the processor so we could get jerky, sticks, etc. but I'm thinking about cutting them up and doing this ourselves next year. So for you guys that process your own, do you remove all the meat in the field and bring it home in coolers or do you bring the deer home and clean it up there? If you have a nice setup for processing, I'd appreciate details and pics!

I prefer to gut them in the field and get them out and home whole if possible, but simply so that I don't have to deal with so much dried, crusty meat. Other people don't seem to have an issue with that though. I assume you hunt Nebraska, and if so then getting them out whole should be routine (I'd guess), vs breaking them down in the field and packing the pieces out. My critters are usually brought out in pieces though, and if it hot out then they'll go in a cooler with ice.

Regardless, any browned, oxidized meat can be ground and you'll never know the difference. I'd suggest grinding twice though. You can take all the trim and scraps to the processor for grinding, even if you cut all the steaks and roasts yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I prefer to gut them in the field and get them out and home whole if possible, but simply so that I don't have to deal with so much dried, crusty meat. Other people don't seem to have an issue with that though. I assume you hunt Nebraska, and if so then getting them out whole should be routine (I'd guess), vs breaking them down in the field and packing the pieces out. My critters are usually brought out in pieces though, and if it hot out then they'll go in a cooler with ice.

Regardless, any browned, oxidized meat can be ground and you'll never know the difference. I'd suggest grinding twice though. You can take all the trim and scraps to the processor for grinding, even if you cut all the steaks and roasts yourself.

Ditto what The Tinman said. He really knows his meat...

Fillet knives work well for trimming. I grind at home and also have a big stuffer that's used to fill plastic bags with ground meat as well as stuffing sausage casings. Large plastic tubs work well for putting your meat in.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,448
Posts18,470,996
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.