-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Where the private land boundaries are? Yesterday we sat on a ridge watching at least 300 cows on a private land hillside with no access. About sundown, they lined out and started moving toward some hay fields below, all on private land, of course. Even if we could have got permission, there was no way to approach them other than belly crawling a half mile in a gillie suit.

It all comes down to the lead cow. She got her job by being the meanest, raunchiest old bitch in the herd. At the same time, she's also about the smartest one in the herd. She decides when and where to move or bed down. At some time in past years, she learned that if she takes the herd to a particular spot, they won't be bothered by hunters. Since private land often fills that bill, that's where she will return to, year after year. When she dies and is replaced by a younger cow, that cow will have learned the same things. They can't read regulations or no hunting signs. They just know where they've been undisturbed in years past.

I don't know about other states, but in Idaho the F&G is required to pay restitution to ranchers who have losses to these large herds of elk. At the same time, those who get restituted are often the ones who post their land. Hunters are often the most effective method of keeping elk off of those lands but they're the ones who are shut out. In my opinion, land owners who want restitution should be required to allow hunting. There is a problem with herds that move some distance to night time feeding grounds on private land. Sometimes they bed on public land during the day and only move onto ranch land to feed at night. The F&G has used their own people to shoot some of them to push the elk out. Of course hunters scream that we should get 1st shot at that but state law prevents hunting at night except for F&G sharpshooters. It would take an act by the legislature to allow night time hunting and that's not likely to happen.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Same thing happens in CO, North of Gunnison. Right after archery season it starts by 1st rifle you can see 400-800 elk on the Calstleton ranch where hunting is not permitted. It is owned by a rich New Yorker and they run a few cows there. It makes that set on the TV show Yellowstone look like bunch of shacks. The same holds true with several big ranches along that valley.

There are ranchers in Colorado that CPW gives vouchers to.You can't hunt on them but they sell those vouchers for big bucks and then we the hunters pay for the funds they give them for crop damage.

Then you have the Ranching for Wildlife program. In return for a ranch giving 1-2 elk tags to the general public, CPW gives them a hunting season from September thru January.

CPW caters to the agricultural business in Colorado under the pretense that the majority of winter elk range is on private property

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/24/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Same somewhat in SD. Gfp flies and does aerial surveys for deer and antelope numbers then decide to let so many tags. Problem is those numbers are on both private and public . You draw for tags and when they have tons of leftover antlerless tags they keep selling until they are gone. But their is only so many animals on public land and access and after opening weekend what wasn't shot have moved off to private where no hunting is allowed or unless you wave around enough money to get access. So much more of the private is no longer available because some outfitter leased it up. Then the dumbasses at the gfp wonder why people don't take their kids hunting anymore. The legislature commercialized the hunting so business gets revenue, the public gets damn little and the last governor liked to wax eloquently about experience fall traditions of hearing the rooster cackling as it rises in the fall colors. Not about shooting any. My take only watched this diminishing situation for the last 53 years. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I am not sure how it is now, but I am pretty sure it is the same way it has been for awhile in MT. If a landowner doesn't allow hunting they get nothing from the state for damage done by wild animals. At least huntable ones. Now that doesn't mean the landowner can't lie and get something. There is a beautiful high fence around a ranch hay yard near where I live that was put up with hunters dollars. The ranchers around say this rancher didn't let people hunt at the time. My uncle who ranched next to them said they won't even let you shoot gophers since they are food for the coyotes. I have since learned from my cousin who has the ranch now that this ranch does allow limited hunting currently.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I swear, the senior cows in the herd hold elk school in the summer, and pass on their knowledge to the younguns! It took me a few tries when I was learning their behavior to never get tunnel vision and always BOLO for the cows, they will bust you every time!

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

My brother SWEARS elk can read the regulations........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I worked on a pedestrian vs ATV elk disturbance study 20 years ago out of Buford, CO (White River NF including areas adjacent to the Flat Top Wilderness). The cows fitted with telemetry were used on a previous study for elk migration/movement, with particular emphasis on the fall. The researcher of that previous study said you could watch the elk begin to move with archery/muzzleloading season. By the 3rd rifle season about 60-70% of the elk were on private land or in the hellholes along the Colorado River breaks, split fairly evenly between the two.

We see the most of the elk out on the generally more open agricultural land, we don't see the elk in the elk jungles.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Idaho is a very poor place to hunt.

Many thanks to IDFG.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yall don't feel too bad. I guess every state has
their bad points when it comes to hunting.
Here, it's antlermania. There are now so many
people that have moved here and want a big
set of antlers to post on their farcebook account
that the poor man that wants a bit of venison
doesn't have a chance in hades.
Of course, all fish and game departments have
the same notion that if you can't see it from a
truck window or a plane or chopper, it's non
existant.
Might have to start possum hunting. I'll have
to start collecting recipes

Last edited by Ranger99; 11/26/20.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As you alluded to. It’s just a response to the pressure from humans. I also think they are able to factor in photoperiod in that as well. They know as the days get shorter, people will start to show up and they will inevitably take refuge in areas where they’ve historically been undisturbed.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,162
Posts18,503,015
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.