Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Lost my Good Girl 7 months ago, I know you're pain brother.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have been down the same road.

I know your hurt... frown

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I've known for a few weeks my dog had cancer, but when he wasn't struggling with it, he acted just fine. It was prostate cancer and he was in pain when he defecated. We gave him pain pills, but he'd cry out when he squatted. But when he was done he was the same old dog. But he kept getting worse. Saturday morning he seemed to be hurting more. Yesterday he quit eating, and he didn't eat today. We called the vet and set up the time. It was so hard. I hate to say this but it was harder to let him go then when my mother passed in January. We had this dog just less than 10 years, you couldn't ask for a better dog. He slept on his own bed right next to me. My wife had really grown attached to him. First time for her to do that. They let us both in there, while he gave the shot. No way was I going to let him go through that by himself. It was still tough, for him and for us. His whole life was about being around us. He was really family.
Hardest thing to do, IMHO, is to take a dog to the vet to be put down.. We've gone through it three times now - and never again...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Terrible. Glad you gave him a great life.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are many wonderful things about dogs, but perhaps the moist poignant is innocence. While I am sure they know when it's time to die, most times they do not. We took our JRT to be put down years ago because of a brain issue. She was happy and clueless in our arms when the vet gave her the injection ending her life. I've been through a lot in my life, but arguably, this was one of the toughest. Take heart though. God will soon send you another. Not a replacement because I'm sure you know he was one of a kind, but just another that will make you happy again.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am so very sorry you had to do the right thing and put your dog down. Your post reminds us all of what we have been through with our dogs and what we have to face. I hope each day will get better and you will only remember the good times and not the last days.

My current dog is in my avatar. She is the best dog I ever had but I know that I will face the same grief you are dealing with. Hoping you can find another 4 legged companion when the time is right.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ingwe
Good on you that you stayed with him for the shot....so many don't.

He was always there for you, glad you were there for him.

As Ive told many others, he would do the same for you, if only he could.

The wife and I both went in with him. There was no way I was going to let him go through that by himself. About 6 weeks ago we found out he had prostate cancer, and it was hardened. They told us that he would be in pain when he took a dump which was true, even though he got pain pills. Sometimes he'd cry so bad I thought we were being selfish keeping him around, but when he was done it was like nothing happened and he came back to be with us like everything was good. The hospital told us we would know but not really how we would know. On Saturday night he got us up 4 times during the night to go out. He never did that, and he cried a lot. On Sunday morning he wasn't eating at all, and we had a bad feeling we knew it was getting to be time. We both wanted to deny it so we could keep him longer, but on Monday when he still wasn't eating we were pretty sure. We called the vet and they scheduled him for late afternoon. He didn't eat all day again and wanted out every little bit but couldn't do anything. We knew that it was time. They let us stay with him for a while after they gave him the shot. He was such a big part of our family. I still feel bad that we couldn't do anything for him. Our other lab made it 14 years and he got to the point he couldn't even get up, and I knew we had waited too long. I didn't want to do that. Ingwe thanks for your comment.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1936M71, 260Remguy, 12344mag, 007FJ, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,672
Posts18,493,793
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.