Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I have a ruger 22/45 pistol I'd like to sell. Wondering if there are special rules to selling and shipping pistols? I've sold and shipped a ton of rifles, but thought I had seen or read where pistols may differ?

Any help would be appreciated.

GB1

B
BKS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
In my experience, I just take them to a dealer, who usually charges a transfer fee & postage and he ships it to their dealer. It usually costs are 20.00 for him to ship it vs 60-80 for you to ship. You have to send it overnight with Fed Ex and it just ain’t worth the hassle to deal with them to me.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Go here:

https://www.shipmygun.com/go/

That will save you time,money, and frustration.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
That would be by far the best way to do it. I have a buddy that works at a gun shop who could do that for me...I should have thought of that sooner...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I actually just found this out today. USPS is not an option and Fedex or UPS need to go next day air so it will be expensive.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 160user
I actually just found this out today. USPS is not an option and Fedex or UPS need to go next day air so it will be expensive.

That's what I was seeing too. Might try consignment or selling local.

Last edited by dakotakidd; 11/24/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some FFL dealers just make me scratch my head. My FFL dealer ships via USPS priority mail because he can. Add to that his fee of $10 and insurance, I'm usually looking at around $35 +/- to do so. I can't believe there are so many FFLs who choose FedEx or UPS over the flat rate USPS.

As to the OP's question, you, as an individual, may ship TO AN FFL ONLY utilizing UPS or FedEx; but, the price will shock you. You, as a non-FFL may not utilize the US Postal Service. After all, the handgun may jump out of the box and shoot a postal worker. At least, that's the only logic, in my opinion, for refusal to allow we mere mortals to utilize said service. But, it is the law.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
From USPS site:

The U.S. Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Wouldn’t it be easier just to hand it over to me when I see you? Just saying you are missing an opportunity here.
Great seller if someone has the opportunity to do business with dakotakidd.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
A dealer can send usps hence the lower price

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
You can ship usps priority mail. You can get boxes at post office or online. No ammo. Just firearm. As long as the ffl you are shipping to will take from an individual. Most will. Some may require an id from you. I've done it this way at least 10 times in past two years. Most recent last month. They never ask whats in box and have no regulations against it as far as I know. Just no ammo or loaded weapons or loaded mags. You don't need an ffl to ship unless you state law requires it. UPS will also ship a firearm or ammo from their hub locations. But, not from the UPS stores. They are a franchise and not set up for it. Fees at UPS or post office are the same as any other package. No upcharge.

Philip S. Leadford
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
You can ship usps priority mail. You can get boxes at post office or online. No ammo. Just firearm. As long as the ffl you are shipping to will take from an individual. Most will. Some may require an id from you. I've done it this way at least 10 times in past two years. Most recent last month. They never ask whats in box and have no regulations against it as far as I know. Just no ammo or loaded weapons or loaded mags. You don't need an ffl to ship unless you state law requires it. UPS will also ship a firearm or ammo from their hub locations. But, not from the UPS stores. They are a franchise and not set up for it. Fees at UPS or post office are the same as any other package. No upcharge.

Philip S. Leadford
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I am in Mississippi. I posted the info in another reply. I just wanted to ad that the transfer is legal as long as an ffl holder receives it for the buyer. You also want to ship with insurance. It's not much. I shipped a pistol from MS to AZ 650 value priority mail medium with 600 insurance for 21.00 . Prior comes with 50$ insurance. Hope any of this helps.

Philip S. Leadford
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No. That is incorrect. It is a violation of federal law for an individual, who is not an FFL holder, to ship a handgun to ANYBODY via the United States Postal Service. The same applies to ammunition. We've had plenty of people on here and other forums who claim to have done both. THEY LUCKED OUT AND GOT AWAY WITH IT.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
A lot of bad info here .

Big Sky is correct for the USPS. handgun rules.

Individual Post offices make their own " rules"... one can argue with them and even show them their written regs, but you cannot succesfully acheive anything .

Sending a firearm for repair has different rules.

The different carriers have their own rules .

UPS requires next day air shipping for a handgun....and it is spendy.

Case in point: Handgun shipped 250 miles insured for $500.00 next day air UPS $ 58.00.

Gun Broker has a good breakdown of shipping for the various carriers.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
What big sky and Cisco said is gospel.Just because you did it.Dosent make it legal.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Oldschool65
What big sky and Cisco said is gospel.Just because you did it.Dosent make it legal.

Plus 1

Long gun OK to FFL
But not a pistol

But I find it most cost effective to pay my FFL and have it shipped in a flat rate box but my FFL is reasonable in cost
Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 11/25/20.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Where is Bricktop when we need him

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

We don't Frizzin' need him.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by cisco1

Sending a firearm for repair has different rules.

The different carriers have their own rules .

UPS requires next day air shipping for a handgun....and it is spendy.

1----true.....mfg usually supplies return label

2-----true

3------false......no longer a UPS rule......2nd day air is normally used which is less

Flat rate USPS is the best deal....through your FFL guy.....you provide label & box then pay his X/fer fee

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

463 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 42 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,723
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.