-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Reminds me of a signature a guy used to use back in ye olde days of the newsgroups. It was something like this:

"The Internet is a place where men with clubs in their hands stand around a crater in the ground where, long ago, a dead horse used to lie"...

Something like that.

Carry on!

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
hmm, a little lull in the action and the fans in the stands grow restless. How charming...

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
:-)

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
steve1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Savuti and Jeff
Some of us are actually learning a few things here.If you have nothing positive to add,why rain on someone else's parade ?
Surly you can find another thread that holds some interest for you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JPK
Klikitarik,

I have real, in the flesh, experience that faster solid bullets produce deeper penetration in animals. I have repeated it in my posts several times. But here you go: A 500gr solid at 2050fps penetrates less than the same 500gr solid at 2135fps in every animal medium that I have tried, and that includes elephant brian shots and the different mediums needed to penetrate to the brain, elephant body shots in the chest, buffalo body shots. Somewhere I have a log of penetration and could give you penetration measurements for both, but it is packed in preparation for a move.....

Again, your example doesn't really answer the question since you have no "slow" example. (Your's are not even 100 fps apart, identical for all practical purposes!)

That said though, one of the problems with live flesh tests is the fact that it takes enormous quantities of tests to get around the many variables. Surely newsprint and other things in various forms can provide some useful knowledge when it comes to bullet performance. By better controlling the variables one tests for, it is possible to actually learn how those variables affect things. (Even Nosler, a company with some repute in bullet making, has acknowledged the use of newsprint for testing their designs.)

I really don't know if there are any magic speeds where bullets penetrate better or if one can simply graph the direct correlation of penetration and speed so I don't care which side is "right." I do know there seems to be evidence to support the slow bullet idea, and, you're correct, the tests are based on wet newsprint. (Would a dead walrus test count? They are considerably bigger than any buff and, I would venture, have even thicker hides. But, aack aack, gag!)

I do like the fact that one can use certain common materials (like newsprint) and create tests that provide some useful information before hunting with a given projectile. Those tests can be fairly easily repeated by anyone anywhere which is one of the things that is useful from standardized or scientific standpoint. While live flesh tests are great, even the most objective person doesn't always see and recognize what has happened when looking for and at bullet tracks. Of course, after the fact, dead is dead and there are a lot of ways to get there, if some admittedly better than others.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Here's some gasoline,
Hard cast bullets, low antimony (this causes the shattering when too high), heat treated, in calibers above 40, with a BHN of 22 will begin to expand at 1,900-2,000 fps depending on the size of the meplat. That size of meplat also depends on how deep a bullet penetrates. I don't have critters here big enough to stop them in Iowa. The expansion/penetration tests were done with (GASP) wet newsprint, 1/2 in heat treated steel plate and cement. I will tell you that I can tell very little difference in penetration on these mediums between a 416 Rigby with solids, a 375 H&H with solids (a poor buff round?), and properly heat treated lead alloys in the above velocity window.
To those who pooh the velocity of lead bullets, and velocity is the holy grail to penetration, why not shoot the 458's out of a Weatherby? If you do you will notice the bullet chipping, deforming etc. found in the lead alloys over their threshold. Ever shoot these rounds in water? I'm no buff shooter but I'd put a 500 gr 45/70 (1300fps) up against a 500 458 at 2150 in a water test (sorry, I'm timid).
The final test would be a 1500 lb. steer ( big enough, tough enough, and something a non buff killer could afford?) facing you and ass end him with a 45/70 and a measly cast bullet. I'm sure the chances of getting hit are about as likely as being hammered by a buff?
In all seriousness, Brian Pearce's articles have been about "putting his money where his mouth is" as to the confidence he has in the 45/70.
MD, any "whale tests" from 458 Win and his 505 (510) Gibbs cast load? I recall him testing on a whale carcass?
After all Brian Pearce, MD, and Dave Scovill know nothing, see nothing, and its not like its their job or anything.
Nate Hoffmeier

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Nate - where the heck in Iowa are you? You must be a neighbor somewhere near by. I'm, in Story City more or less.

BTW, there is a guy on the AR Africa forum that is trying to get rid of a 1700# Angus bull that tossed him one too many times. Your's for the shooting (in TX I think). Just a little bigger than the average cape buffalo...

Also, don't most DG hunters use softs in their MegaDG rifles these days?
Brent

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Brent, I'm in Polk City. How's the Norsemen doin'!
DG hunters seem more confused than us deer shooters as to what works. I always thought if you hit vitals/break bone and hit vitals you could drop anything, as long as the bullet was up to it!?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Doin' fine but a shortage of lutefisk is giving us fits and making us restless... smile

I don't now anything that will live very with an extra 1/2" hole punched through it.

Brent

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Wonder if JB has had any lute? Us krauts vil sticken tu da biere!
Evidedently its not the half inch hole, its a 400 fps faster RN half inch hole!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BrentD
Doin' fine but a shortage of lutefisk is giving us fits and making us restless... smile

Brent

now i know your freaking nuts.............im 1/2 Norwegian and cant stand that crap crazy grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Brent and Nate - checking in from Belle Plaine. I am a misplaced Kraut who wound up growing up around the Swedes in Albert City. In my opinion, there is no way there could ever be a shortage of lutefisk. grin Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
A German will eat damn near anything. Gramps loved hog brains, fried. Buff brains on the menu? Oh, no Mad Buff disease?

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
rattler: with lutefisk, being 1/2 just don't cut it smile.pak

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lol my grandmother would make it for my grandfather on occasion.......she couldnt stand it either grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old Saying...

"A German won't eat what a German doesn't know." My Grandad Stiegelmeier was a prime example. They sure knew some vile eats, however. eek

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Nate, could you explain your heat treating in more detail and explain how heat treating interacts with alloy (I believe that some antimony is needed but not much for heat treating).

I know that I don't know much about this subject, and I would like to learn more. A lot of folks here don't even know that they don't know.

I'd also be interested to know where you picked up your knowledge of heat treating. Is there a good reference to recommend?

Brent

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Brent, I don't want to hijack the post (any more!), so I'll PM you the info.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Nate, it's not a hijack at all, I am pretty sure Steve1 will want to know, and Sharpsguy = if he doesn't already, and maybe others.
Brent

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Sorry, you have permission to use anything I PM'd. Not really private, just alot of stuff!@ More if you want it.

Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

289 members (10gaugemag, 280fan, 204guy, 264mag, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 36 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,844
Posts18,517,306
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.