Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by captjohn
Here is the pics i think i have them downsized enough now.

The action looks like a small ring German military Mauser. I have one with similar markings that was made at the Erfurt Arsenal in 1916.

Yes, the OP's rifle appears to be WWI era Kar98 variant.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
On a Mauser action if the bolt/screw spacing on the bottom metal is 7-7/8" does that uniformly mean a large ring barrel? Or did some small rings have the larger spacing on bottom metal?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Here is the pics i think i have them downsized enough now.

The action looks like a small ring German military Mauser. I have one with similar markings that was made at the Erfurt Arsenal in 1916.

Yes, the OP's rifle appears to be WWI era Kar98 variant.

That's what I would say, small ring/large shank. I'd be cautious about what you rebarrel to if you go that route, not a lot of meat on that front ring. May want to just enjoy it as it sits.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
On a Mauser action if the bolt/screw spacing on the bottom metal is 7-7/8" does that uniformly mean a large ring barrel? Or did some small rings have the larger spacing on bottom metal?

That kar.98 should have a large ring barrel shank.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The terms Small Ring and Large ring are often used to denote pre-98's and 98's respectively. However, there are small ring standard length 98's like the German Kar 98 series, the Polish K98 series, the Czech vz 33, and German G33/40. All of which have a standard 98 footprint. The first two, Kar 98 and K98, like yours, are what is known as small ring large thread receivers. Meaning they have a front ring that nominally measures 1.300", and use standard large ring 98 Mauser barrels threaded 1.100"x12 TPI. The G33/40 and VZ33 also share the same ring dimensions, but use small ring threaded barrels with a 0.980"x12 tpi thread.

Then there are the Small Ring Mexican 98's which share the same action screw spacing as the pre-98's but have all the features of a 98. These use .980"x12 tpi threads. Then you have the 1903 Turk and 1909 Peruvian which are standard length LR 98's but use small ring barrels, 0.980"x12 TPI with a longer shank, and use an intermediate length bolt. Then you have the intermediate length 98's like the FN 24 and Yugo 24, 24/47. and 48's, these being Large Ring, large thread.

IC B2

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
John, ZG47 SN 00001 is a Large Ring chambered in 9,3x62. It is known that some of the later production 21/22's came with a complete zg47 bolt, or just the safety, thus departing from the more common "spoon" or "butterknife" handle. This incorporation of zg47 features causing confusion.

I point out your insistence of calling things factual that you preface with what amounts to an "I read it on the internet."

Your "assumption" that Parker Hale used Zastava actions for instance because the Interarms actions were marked, "Manchester England."

Your recent unsubstantiated proclamation about Sunny Hill Bottom metal? Etc...

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Didn't Parker Hale use the Santa Barbra actions?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Yes, yes they did. But John here states it's a well known fact that PH used Zastava actions. Based on what, I'd like to know?

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Yes, yes they did. But John here states it's a well known fact that PH used Zastava actions. Based on what, I'd like to know?

Quoting John here in reference to a Santa Barbara action someone asked about on another forum: "The bolt handle is neither FN nor Zastava pattern. Perhaps that defaults to Santa Barbara of Spain, assuming it's original. 'Most' such actions were marked "Spain" on receiver ring underside, or thereabouts. This particular rifle action in pix, utilizing the earlier standard striker impinging safety mauser action, versus the FN termed "Supreme" action with sliding trigger impinging safety. The Supreme more popular, though I prefer the classic as here. That for the ever so much more direct and positive safety system.
Lore over decades of SB questionable steel composition and of heat treating. It does seem probable there were some "soft actions". Also apparently that there was something akin to a recall - perhaps limited to guns yet in the hands of manufacturers. Another seemingly factual matter that Parker Hale experienced some soft SB actions in their production process. Perhaps the reason moving to Zastava."

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Zastava actions are the old Interarms Mark X actions just under a new name. AFAIK PH never used the Zastava/Interarms actions for their rifles.

Thanks z1r for your answer to my question.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
You're welcome. Actually, Interarms was the new name for Zastava actions. The Zastava plant made them for Interarms whilst also marketing them under their own name. Zastava supplied their Commercial 98 action to a host of companies: Charles Daly, Montgomery Ward, Mauser, Remington, and are selling them as their own LK M70.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
I didn't know that z1r! Thanks again.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Neither did I til some years back. The US market wasn't able to import goods from Communist countries preventing us from enjoying many fine rifles. Sam Cummings circumvented that embargo by importing Zastava made actions/rifles into Manchester England, marking them as such, and them importing into the US. Thus, we Americans are most familiar with the Interarms name whilst the rest of the world knew of Zastava.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by z1r
John, ZG47 SN 00001 is a Large Ring chambered in 9,3x62. It is known that some of the later production 21/22's came with a complete zg47 bolt, or just the safety, thus departing from the more common "spoon" or "butterknife" handle. This incorporation of zg47 features causing confusion.

I point out your insistence of calling things factual that you preface with what amounts to an "I read it on the internet."

Your "assumption" that Parker Hale used Zastava actions for instance because the Interarms actions were marked, "Manchester England."

Your recent unsubstantiated proclamation about Sunny Hill Bottom metal? Etc...

There is no mistake whatsoever...that fucking clown has never been correct about anything regarding Brno, you only have to peruse some of the absolute shit he posted on GunBoards.

His word is not worth a damned thing.

added...on the other hand you seem to have a very good grasp on the subject.

Last edited by JSTUART; 11/26/20.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by z1r
Neither did I til some years back. The US market wasn't able to import goods from Communist countries preventing us from enjoying many fine rifles. Sam Cummings circumvented that embargo by importing Zastava made actions/rifles into Manchester England, marking them as such, and them importing into the US. Thus, we Americans are most familiar with the Interarms name whilst the rest of the world knew of Zastava.

Learn something new today!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 47 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,327
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.