Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I inherited my Dad's saddle-ring Marlin 336 and it needs some care.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Buehler?

Buehler?

Buehler?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I guess the next post should be, what problems are you having?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve been inside several thousand of them. What seems to be the trouble?

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by StudDuck
I inherited my Dad's saddle-ring Marlin 336 and it needs some care.

Not even reading between the lines of this Post. Reading beyond, into the void...
Perhaps the category is "urgent care" and "needs" for the O/P, rather than the gun.
My take.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Problem: The loading spring dropped down somewhat into the receiver and moved upwards out of it's track/alignment. I was able to move it back into proper alignment, however now, the finger lever assembly will not close tight enough to depress the hammer spring adjusting plate (I think this is the proper part) to allow the hammer to fall. It's as if the finger lever assembly has dropped downwards away from the receiver.

I'll try to post a picture if I'm not explaining it clearly.

Thanks!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You need to post that picture.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The lever assemble will not close tight enough to depress the "plunger" at the end of my finger. This must be depressed to allow the trigger to be pulled and the hammer to fall.

Thoughts?

Last edited by StudDuck; 12/02/20.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you look at the top bar of the lever it is not parallel to the tang. Is it possible that enough force was applied to the lever trying to seat a faulty round that the lever at the trigger guard was bent.? That is what the picture shows me. Somewhere close straight below the trigger? MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
If you look at the top bar of the lever it is not parallel to the tang. Is it possible that enough force was applied to the lever trying to seat a faulty round that the lever at the trigger guard was bent.? That is what the picture shows me. Somewhere close straight below the trigger? MB

Great observation. I honestly don't know. Dad hunted with it in 2018 and unfortunately it was his last season. It took almost 2 years after his death for the rifle to reach me. I took it out opening morning this year and it wouldn't chamber a round due to the loading spring getting out of kilter. I did apply some force to the lever trying to seat a round, but damn I didn't think it was enough to bend the lever. I guess that's why I'm still called Stud Duck, lol.

Question is; how to best correct it or can I?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Take the lever out and clamp it in a vise. You will be able to straighten it by using a mallet or a prying instrument. Be gentle as it won’t take much and one whack in the wrong spot could collapse the loop if you’re getting fresh with the mallet.

You could probably get a used lever that would drop right in for a few bucks on eBay or the Marlin forum, if it comes to that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i may regret this but here goes. you tube or one of the books that show you how to fully dis-assemble the gun may be your friend. i would totally take it apart and make sure everything in the action is spotless and then re-assemble it. the loading cover is actually a spring held by a screw. you got it back in its track but is it seated properly and is the screw tight to arrest the movement of the part, if not it could block or drag on the lifter which would alter the whole sequence of the action working. When you have it apart you can also check for damage to the internal parts from the action attempting to work with the parts out of place, there may be burrs, gouges, or just bluing removal.
if you do decide to take it apart be aware; 1.the ejector is captive by the bolt and may fall out. 2 the trigger plate screws look similar but are actually different lengths and it matters what hole the go back into.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys.

I do have a manual on how to fully disassemble the rifle, I've done it once or twice while Dad was alive. He didn't have a habit of cleaning the rifle like it should've been. I figured it would come to this and I was hoping for someone more knowledgeable on lever actions could look at it; first one I've ever owned.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Could you tape a shim onto that part of the lever that is supposed to push up on the lock stud so that it is pushed up enough to unlock? Just to verify that is the problem. Then you could start wrestling the bent steel of the lever.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No way that lever got bent just cycling the action. Pounding on it with a 3 lb sledgehammer maybe.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fireball2
No way that lever got bent just cycling the action. Pounding on it with a 3 lb sledgehammer maybe.

That was my thoughts and please correct me if I'm wrong, but it would be bent in the opposite direction if it was bent while cycling the action.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

No. They are surprisingly soft and can be tweaked while trying to force the lever on a jam. It’s not going to get bent by Joe average working the lever shooting at a deer but if a strong man gets ham handed with it. I’ve seen enough of them bent to believe that it can happen without a hammer or prybar.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheKid

No. They are surprisingly soft and can be tweaked while trying to force the lever on a jam. It’s not going to get bent by Joe average working the lever shooting at a deer but if a strong man gets ham handed with it. I’ve seen enough of them bent to believe that it can happen without a hammer or prybar.

I'm guilty of being "ham handed" with it.
whistle

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheKid

Seems unlikely, but I'm glad to take your word for it with your experience level. Can't hardly imagine they're that weak.

Tell you what, nobodies bending a Savage lever getting ham-handed.

LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 16penny, 69 invisible), 3,318 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,483
Posts18,471,832
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.