Page 12 of 22 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 21 22
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Happy Thanksgiving To Me -- grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This AM was SO foggy I couldn't see 100 yds until 9:00 AM
@ 9:30 this guy crossed an opening and didn't make it.
He was angled away from me more than I thot. The bullet hit close behind the left shoulder and exited in front of the right
shoulder. He made it less than 50 yds. on his feet.

In sunlight:

Win 70 XTR FTWT, 6.5X55, 120 NBT, 4350 and 3000 fps. Left lung / top of right lung / front of right shoulder.
Complete pass thru. No fragments found.

This is my first deer with the 120 N Ballistic Tip. Great performance. Many others report the same type.

Hope all have a Great Thanksgiving Day.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You bet, nice one.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Nice one Jerry. Also dig that M70 Swede

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
Happy Thanksgiving To Me -- grin

This AM was SO foggy I couldn't see 100 yds until 9:00 AM
@ 9:30 this guy crossed an opening and didn't make it.
He was angled away from me more than I thot. The bullet hit close behind the left shoulder and exited in front of the right
shoulder. He made it less than 50 yds. on his feet.

In sunlight:

Win 70 XTR FTWT, 6.5X55, 120 NBT, 4350 and 3000 fps. Left lung / top of right lung / front of right shoulder.
Complete pass thru. No fragments found.

This is my first deer with the 120 N Ballistic Tip. Great performance. Many others report the same type.

Hope all have a Great Thanksgiving Day.

Jerry

Alright, jwall! Happy Thanksgiving!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice buck jwall!

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Got a few this year. Season started with a Mule Deer hunt (my first, not my last), had a blast, took this nice 4x3 after a winter storm. Prior to that all I saw was forkies. I got lucky in that after doing a lot of post-holing through the mountains all morning, I kept seeing deer below me. So I decided around noon to start making it down to the truck. About 100 yds from the truck I start seeing does and there he was, about a 40 yard shot in the timber. It was an easy downhill drag in the snow to quarter and load him in the Taco. M70 270 Win.

[Linked Image]

As soon as I got back to TN, it was the youth season so took my daughter out Sunday. We saw an absolute monster for our area but too far for her to shoot (her first year deer hunting). Then muzzleloader season opened and I passed up several bucks waiting for the big one, which is not my style as Im usually happy with any decent buck. I saw him once after legal shooting light. He looked like an Elk standing next to the other deer in our hay field. Two days later they killed him on a neighboring property. So with the wait now over, it was time to shoot a buck. Shot this 6-pt (17" wide) that evening. 115 yd shot with TC Impact. Switched from 240 XTP to 270 Gold Dot or Deep Curl, whatever they call it now. I switched because the 240 XTP seemed to open up a bit much and really make a mess. The 270 GD punched through (double lung) but found only pin drops of blood the whole way until he was piled up about 85 yards from where I shot him. It was a little unnerving, but want to see how the 270's do at more common MZ ranges (40 yds) before I start seeking another bullet.

[Linked Image]

Saving the best for last, our rifle season opened Saturday. My daughter hunted hard every morning an evening, kept coming up empty handed as they were either running does or too far. Monday afternoon her luck changed and she killed her first deer. He was standing in the woods moving along slowly, she had to pick a spot through the trees and smoked him a 243 factory load. 11-pts you can hang a ring on. Rifle is a campfire special and some might recognize it. Its a product of the Walmart closeout thread, Weatherby vanguard. I took the 1' pad off and installed the thinest I could find to shorten LOP. John Boy on here did the teal w/black spiderweb paint job, very well done BTW. Lastly, Redneck cut and crowned the barrel from 24 to 21.5". It was her Christmas present last year.

[Linked Image]

Lots of tags left, but Im tired of butchering deer. Ready for winter (snow) rabbits.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TomM1
Got a few this year. Season started with a Mule Deer hunt (my first, not my last), had a blast, took this nice 4x3 after a winter storm. Prior to that all I saw was forkies. I got lucky in that after doing a lot of post-holing through the mountains all morning, I kept seeing deer below me. So I decided around noon to start making it down to the truck. About 100 yds from the truck I start seeing does and there he was, about a 40 yard shot in the timber. It was an easy downhill drag in the snow to quarter and load him in the Taco. M70 270 Win.

[Linked Image]

As soon as I got back to TN, it was the youth season so took my daughter out Sunday. We saw an absolute monster for our area but too far for her to shoot (her first year deer hunting). Then muzzleloader season opened and I passed up several bucks waiting for the big one, which is not my style as Im usually happy with any decent buck. I saw him once after legal shooting light. He looked like an Elk standing next to the other deer in our hay field. Two days later they killed him on a neighboring property. So with the wait now over, it was time to shoot a buck. Shot this 6-pt (17" wide) that evening. 115 yd shot with TC Impact. Switched from 240 XTP to 270 Gold Dot or Deep Curl, whatever they call it now. I switched because the 240 XTP seemed to open up a bit much and really make a mess. The 270 GD punched through (double lung) but found only pin drops of blood the whole way until he was piled up about 85 yards from where I shot him. It was a little unnerving, but want to see how the 270's do at more common MZ ranges (40 yds) before I start seeking another bullet.

[Linked Image]

Saving the best for last, our rifle season opened Saturday. My daughter hunted hard every morning an evening, kept coming up empty handed as they were either running does or too far. Monday afternoon her luck changed and she killed her first deer. He was standing in the woods moving along slowly, she had to pick a spot through the trees and smoked him a 243 factory load. 11-pts you can hang a ring on. Rifle is a campfire special and some might recognize it. Its a product of the Walmart closeout thread, Weatherby vanguard. I took the 1' pad off and installed the thinest I could find to shorten LOP. John Boy on here did the teal w/black spiderweb paint job, very well done BTW. Lastly, Redneck cut and crowned the barrel from 24 to 21.5". It was her Christmas present last year.

[Linked Image]

Lots of tags left, but Im tired of butchering deer. Ready for winter (snow) rabbits.

Congrats on a great season!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks Guys. I appreciate it. I'm having a great season so far.

Looking for Mr. Big.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=TomM1]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

"FAAR Out", in the words of one of my favs.

Don't Get NO Better than that !

Congrats

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice job Jerry.

LOL
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My buck and my brother packing his out. Best opining weekend we've had for a while.
Felt good to let the new to me fieldcraft draw blood.

Last edited by dakotakidd; 11/26/20.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great Job guys !!

Glad you brothers get to hunt together.

Congrats.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
11/25/2020 - Eagle Rock, VA

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by vacrt2002; 11/27/20.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hell of a deer for that part of VA. 👍

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Hell of a deer for that part of VA. 👍
. Agreed

Glad I didn’t sell the 3006 he never even took a step! 150 TTSX and H4350 was a knockout!

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dakotakidd
My buck and my brother packing his out. Best opining weekend we've had for a while.
Felt good to let the new to me fieldcraft draw blood.

Congrats to you and your brother!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by vacrt2002
11/25/2020 - Eagle Rock, VA

Nice buck!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=skeen][quote=vacrt2002]11/25/2020 - Eagle Rock, VA

Nice buck!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

TIMES 2

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Congrats to your daughter for hanging in there until she got one. My nephew gave up after a day and a half. Your opening weekend sounded allot better than mine. Opening morning of gun season in west tn sucked. It was in the high 50s and got up to 70. Hunted the afternoon in a short sleeved tshirt. Didn't see a deer all day and only heard maybe a dozen shots. It rained Sunday and brought a cold front with it. I have not checked but it was probably the lowest numbers of deer killed in my county on opening weekend in a very long time.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It was warm here as well, but still cooling off enough at night to keep them chasing. Late evenings seemed to be the best time.

I was also surprised by the lack of shooting here on opening day. I heard much more shooting during the two weekends of Muzzleloader season.

Cold front coming through next week, and late rut = only big boys still out looking for does. Will be a good week!

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Page 12 of 22 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 54 invisible), 2,701 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,239
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.