P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Just a few thoughts,
- Mint, never hunted?
- No pic of the bolt face
- No pic or mention of specialized magazine spring with ‘3’ stamp that is unique to the 7 M/M?
- 22G rear sight on a 1954 gun with MC stock?
- Was Winchester still making 7 M/M barrels in 1949?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
The seller is from Connecticut. My guess is that rifle could very well have been put together by an employee. Everyone knew someone who worked at Winchester during the 40s, 50s and so on.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Just a few thoughts,
- Mint, never hunted?
- No pic of the bolt face
- No pic or mention of specialized magazine spring with ‘3’ stamp that is unique to the 7 M/M?
- 22G rear sight on a 1954 gun with MC stock?
- Was Winchester still making 7 M/M barrels in 1949?

Thanks Pocono, that's the sort of info I'm looking for.

I will inquire of the seller as to the mag spring.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Seller responded as follows;

The bolt face picture has been added to the Gun Broker pictures. There is no stamp on the magazine spring, thanks for your interest.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pocono hits on some great points. I'll add that I don't think that is the original stock: Looks kind of whittled on in the inletting to me. The statement about it not being shot, is ludicrous. Its had mounts on it and the bolt face shows wear. Nice rifle though.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/884381107

Thoughts?

Any warning flags?

I would expect anyone with a rifle that rare would have a letter from the Buffalo Bill Museum validating it authenticity. A rifle without such a letter would be a red flag for me.

I grew up in the upper Connecticut River Valley of NH/VT and because the railroads ran north/south through the heart of the gun building area of CT, there were a lot of "lunch pail" gun from all of those manufacturers. They often ended up in areas adjacent to the main railroad hubs. I don't know that this rifle is one of them, but anything that is rare and of high value is a candidate for being counterfeited.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I don't believe it's possible to get a letter from Cody for model 70s

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Levers
I don't believe it's possible to get a letter from Cody for model 70s

I didn't know that.

I have letters of provenance that came directly from Winchester for my pre-'64 Winchesters. My Father got them back in the 1950s and 1960s for all of the less common rifles that he accumulated between 1937 and 1990.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I am to lazy to look tonight, when did Winchester start putting hollow bolt knobs on Standard rifles?

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by knivesforme
I am to lazy to look tonight, when did Winchester start putting hollow bolt knobs on Standard rifles?

1952. What's concerning to me is the 1949 barrel on a 1954 rifle.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks BSA, I was thinking that they started the Featherweights in 52 and the standards later.

Last edited by knivesforme; 11/26/20.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by knivesforme
Thanks BSA, I was thinking that they started the Featherweights in 52 and the standards later.

Yep, no problem. According to Rule, it was one of the changes implemented in mid '52. Of course that doesn't mean all of them were drilled after '52. I've seen some 1953 rifles with the solid bolt knob, even fwt rifles made in '53, but the change implemented was for all model 70's in mid '52. A lot of guys think only the fwt rifles were drilled, but that's just not the case..

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
1954 barrel clean up gun. It has been shot and carried a bit. The stock and butt plate jumped right out as having less wear than floor plate and swivels. The receiver sight screws say it had a receiver sight at one point and it might have had a mark or notch even for it, hence the "new" stock. The 22G was probably original as well. I don't have a knowledgeable opinion of the special spring on a 1954 barrel clean up gun.

ETA: I believe the gun to be originally a Winchester made 7M/M. The stock mismatched with the 22G sight is the biggest concern. I think the gun was used and personalized in it's long life. Mid 50's Win 70's had some yellowish wood at times much like this one. Whether it came with this stock and a Marbles 69 sight or a 22G and a low comb stock, we will probably never know.

Last edited by sbrmike; 11/27/20.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sbrmike
1954 barrel clean up gun. It has been shot and carried a bit. The stock and butt plate jumped right out as having less wear than floor plate and swivels. The receiver sight screws say it had a receiver sight at one point and it might have had a mark or notch even for it, hence the "new" stock. The 22G was probably original as well. I don't have a knowledgeable opinion of the special spring on a 1954 barrel clean up gun.

ETA: I believe the gun to be originally a Winchester made 7M/M. The stock mismatched with the 22G sight is the biggest concern. I think the gun was used and personalized in it's long life. Mid 50's Win 70's had some yellowish wood at times much like this one. Whether it came with this stock and a Marbles 69 sight or a 22G and a low comb stock, we will probably never know.

Sorry, but usually the "barrel clean up" guns had barrels that were stamped "54"... Thats a good guess though..

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nope sorry. Barrel cleanup guns were just that; old barrels held back for replacements that they decided to move down the road. Many 1954 carbines in rarer calibers had 1936 thru 1949 barrels. Bank on it.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Bidders apparently don't see the issues being raised here with the bids reaching the level they have. With a rifle of that rarity you may be paying your money and taking your chances.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Nope sorry. Barrel cleanup guns were just that; old barrels held back for replacements that they decided to move down the road. Many 1954 carbines in rarer calibers had 1936 thru 1949 barrels. Bank on it.

And you have seen all these carbines that were cleaned up in 1954? How were they stamped? Just out of curiousity? As some know here, the 7mm was discontinued in 1950. Going back to the 1954 clean-ups, carbines in general. They were not stamped "54" on the underside of the barrel? You want me to "bank on it"? How much money do you have? Feeling lucky? I've seen a few clean up barrels. You want to guess what they have stamped on the underside? From what I see, the stock is not original to the rifle. It is very likely the barrel is not either. Its pretty easy to put together a rifle and make it look untouched and factory original. If I remember right, you also thought the 300H&H carbine barrel, I posted from ebay, was legit.. I suggest you get some updated glasses...One thing about these old model 70's, is almost anything is possible. On the rare ones, its best to be more vigilant and mindful of fakes. Like bobin used to say, he wouldn't touch the rare ones with a 10 foot pole. Neither would I, when things look suspect..

BSA MAGA
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My understanding, Winchester didn't make any 7mm chambered barrels postwar. The metric chamberings all "pre-war creatures. Rifle in question, the topside chambering marking near the receiver, an earlier marking location. While correct for the carbine barrels, possibly not so such location for the more common standard length 70 barrels even of prewar> Seems to me, the chambering stamp should be with main-group nomenclature forward of the barrel sight boss. Critical, that barrel should be wearing an integral-forged ramp. If not, believe it's not genuine on that count without having to seek further!
Lesser 'certitude', but I also think that most all the "barrel clean up guns" were actually made up in the latter forties and most, even marketed into the fifties, were on receivers with the 'elder' cloverleaf tangs. The early postwar barrel clean up guns were cataloged. The '54 bunch, I believe were uncatalogued and primarily wholesaled out to Winchester distributors - but that a 'shaky' opine! smile I could well be wrong concerning this, but comporting to my recollection having read it in Rule or possibly Whitaker's book. Because my thoughts here are not set in stone, I wouldn't want to disparage that pending sale. Simply just expressing my doubts. I'd sure want to do further research before bidding! My one solid point, the integral forged front sight ramp inclusion critical!
Just my take!
Best & Keep safe!
John

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

I know of two M70 250-3000 SAV carbines, one pre-war and another serialized in 1947 that were stamped with a barrel date of 32 (began life as barrels intended for the M54). Barrel dates, caliber designations, inspector stamps and index marks were put on the underside of the barrel when it was actually made.
Pretty sure that the all barrel clean-up guns all had earlier barrel dates than the S/N’s would indicate, think of it, why were they called clean-up barrels? Winchester certainly wasn’t cleaning up newly minted inventory.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,429
Posts18,470,760
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.