-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Below are pictures of the various Barnes XLC, MRX, TTSX, and LRX bullets I've recovered from game in the last 19 years:

Yup, not a one. Ranges have been as close as about 20 feet with a .300WM to several hundred yards. I put two completely through mule deer lengthwise at about 300 yards. I did recover one from water jugs - .300WM, 180g TTSX. Lost a petal. Antelope, mule deer and elk all hate them. I like them.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Below are pictures of the various Barnes XLC, MRX, TTSX, and LRX bullets I've recovered from game in the last 19 years:

Yup, not a one. Ranges have been as close as about 20 feet with a .300WM to several hundred yards. I put two completely through mule deer lengthwise at about 300 yards. I did recover one from water jugs - .300WM, 180g TTSX. Lost a petal. Antelope, mule deer and elk all hate them. I like them.

No kidding! Tales of disintegrating TTSX are in the category of “ It’s your story; tell it however you like”. I don’t buy it myself. LOL!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've sheared petals off before - usually finding petals caught in the offside hide and an exit hole - but haven't seen on disintegrate. Not to say that it won't happen, fling enough bullets at enough stuff and you will see some weird [bleep].

I HAVE had TSX/TTSX failure to opens before, and I have seen some absolutely spectacular penetration on stuff like bull elk at close-ish range, ie bust the on side shoulder on a quartering in bull and finding a perfectly expanded bullet under the hide on the opposite side hip. AND I had one that didn't open much at all, that only went 14" in the backstrap of an elk that was headed down a steep hill for the river at the bottom of a canyon. I fully expected to drive that one in front of the hips and have it come out the brisket, but nope. Nothing but hide and meat and stopped less than 14" in. And that was a 180 from a 300 Ultra.

In fact, every elk that I have shot with a TTSX/TSX has caught a bullet somewhere in it except one bull that I punched a 150 TTSX through broadside in my back yard from a 280AI. Only Barnes product I haven't caught in an elk is the original 140 X from a 264 Win Mag, but I caught one of those in a smallish whitetail buck at 200+ yards that was sneaking head down straight towards the rattles. And that bullet went in a tear duct at the corner of his eye and traveled the FULL length of his body an inch over from the spinal cord and was in the tail, but it was bent over in a half moon shape with one open petal. That one sat straight back and had his legs curled under him when we walked up to him. Not a single drop of blood anywhere, no blood or bloodshot in the cavity. Buddy of mine and his dad were there, and his dad figured I must've scared that buck to death when the bullet went past. Wasn't until we cut his head off after he was skinned that we found the bullet path in the spinal column.

Enough bullets into animals, and you will see weird [bleep] happen.
Now, after the initial shot, if I can slip another bullet into vitals on a stationary animal that is standing there, he gets one. Or two. If that animal is making headway trying to get away and the reaction doesn't feel right, ANY patch of hair on that one gets a bullet. Regardless of what bullet is coming out of the tube.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by jorgeI
There are TTSXs (or clones), then there are the rest...

Although I'm a Partition guy through and through, a new 308 just appeared in my life, and I think my son will be carrying that rifle armed with 150g TTSXs for elk next year.

I've had some good experiences with one of those clones, will stick with em for now.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (16gage, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 52 invisible), 2,760 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,550
Posts18,510,298
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.