Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Researching the perfect Alaska hunting rifle I have learned that my OEM synthetic stock might just shatter in the Alaska cold, and that I should consider an upgrade. Is this just more innernet BS? My particular stock in question is either a Hogue or a paddle stock on a MK II Ruger.

Thanks in advance!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You’ll be just fine with your Ruger boat paddle or your Hogue. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have shot every rifle I own at -40 thats below zero and never had a stock crack,break,or shatter. Even the ruger boat paddle (zytel). Never a problem. But what does happen at colder Temps the recoil pad becomes a recoil transfer pad. (Hard as a rock)

At some point my hobbies became my life.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Mmm hmm, you shot a rifle at -40*.?

I call bullpucky on that one.

Steel don't like mass pressure at -40* there buckwheat.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Really?

You have a source for this?.

I used to shoot at minus 25-30, with no problem.

Last edited by las; 11/29/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Long ways from -25 to -40*.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
las;
Good afternoon to you sir, I trust this finds you well and your Thanksgiving was a good one.

Thankfully for me, the tales I'll relate are all in the dim past, but since I grew up in Saskatchewan, I am quite conversant in chilly weather.

My late father decided that I would miss a week of high school when I was 15 and we went the 35 miles on the seismic cut line to stay in his trapper buddy's line shack. According to the thermometer on the side of the cabin it actually hit a high of -35° one day. I do recall that "nature stops" were absolutely brief in those conditions! laugh

My then brand new wife said she'd try whitetail hunting with me and so I set up a bunch of straw for a ground blind at the end of a hay field we had. That day it got up to -38°, not including the ever present Saskatchewan wind. When a buck finally appeared near dark, she shot it, stood up and said, "I'll go get the pickup now and meet you at the buck thanks"... laugh laugh laugh

While I didn't have a chronograph then, I stacked up some herbicide cans and put them out in a field to test how much more the bullets dropped on cold days. I want to say the coldest day I shot was more or less -42° though I can't recall whether I'd converted to Celsius by then or not..... wink

We had no plastic stocked center fire rifles back then, but I do recall that my Remington Mowhawk .22 did do odd things coming in and out from room temps to sub, sub zero sometimes. That's likely because the scope mount on them is that little piece of tin that fits over the nylon stock/receiver, but that's a guess on my part as well.

Lastly, the Canadian Rangers up in the Territories shoot quite a bit at however cold it gets up there and that's one reason they didn't get gas operated guns as I recall, though I've never personally run an auto at anything colder than -10° or there abouts.

All the best to you as we head into colder temperatures and shorter days once again sir. I hope your wood pile is full and you all stay well.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 11/29/20. Reason: better sentence?

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A few years back, two of us went on a winter cow moose hunt.70 miles in by sno-go we set the wall tent and wood stove.
After camp was set, we put dinner on the stove and tried to pour a nice sundowner but the Crown Royal wouldn't pour.....froze.
How cold was that?......damned cold. The next morning we harvested our cows and headed home with no thought to rifle
metallurgy.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Been here a long time but seldom ever post but this time I couldn't resist. 6MM obviously hasn't been in North Dakota in the winter either. If you couldn't shoot a rifle at 40 below you'd have to pack them away until spring. This is only partly being a wise ass (smile). I will admit to having fired a rifle at those temps and it didn't explode and the bullet exited the barrel. But then I've only lived here 73 years and don't know what others experiences might have been.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Gotta love Alaska. For every out-of-state hunter humping a $10,000 rifle, there are a thousand Alaskans filling their tags with hand-me-down, wood stocked rifles, milsurp rescues, and $300 Walmart guns, and guns I can’t name. And wearing Carhartts.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Shouldn't be a concern, I've fired lots of synthetic at minus 50 or colder, only one I'm aware of having problems was the early Ram Lines but they were injection molded. When glass stocks first started, a few manufacturers sent me samples to try out and never saw a problem. Bigger problem was trying to avoid double-based powders, ..... they liked pressure excursions at cold temps!!
When you live here and want meat, you quickly learn to deal with Real Cold!!

A stranger is a friend we haven't met.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Shouldn't be a concern, I've fired lots of synthetic at minus 50 or colder, only one I'm aware of having problems was the early Ram Lines but they were injection molded. When glass stocks first started, a few manufacturers sent me samples to try out and never saw a problem. Bigger problem was trying to avoid double-based powders, ..... they liked pressure excursions at cold temps!!
When you live here and want meat, you quickly learn to deal with Real Cold!!

A stranger is a friend we haven't met.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I always find it humorous when a man is to arrogant or to stupid to realize when they are wrong. But I'm guessing there will be no apology from Remington6mm.
You have my pitty must have been the way you were raised.
ErichTheRed

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VernAK
A few years back, two of us went on a winter cow moose hunt.70 miles in by sno-go we set the wall tent and wood stove.
After camp was set, we put dinner on the stove and tried to pour a nice sundowner but the Crown Royal wouldn't pour.....froze.
How cold was that?......damned cold. The next morning we harvested our cows and headed home with no thought to rifle
metallurgy.

VernAK;
Good evening to you sir, thanks for your input into the thread and I trust all is well as can be in your world tonight.

Your hunting tale reminded me of a buddy in Whitehorse who was either on a First Nations high school experience hunt or a special draw for bison, I forget now which it was, but it was either late January or February.

He said that when they shot a cow, with two of them working as fast as they could to part up the bison it kept on freezing solid on them as soon as they skinned out a portion of it. He said too that it was " a royal bugger" getting the hide folded up onto to the toboggan they pulled behind their snow machines.

While I'm sure he told me just how cold it was, I forget that part now, but I'd given him a quilted Arctic Cat brand face mask for snowmobiling when he moved north and it was another time he phoned to thank me for it!

Honestly I'm not sure I could deal with extreme cold anymore, I've seen -48° without wind chill a couple times and stuff just didn't like to work anymore at those temperatures - sort of like your Crown Royal!

Thanks again for the cow hunt story and all the best to you folks as we head into shorter days and colder weather.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Talus,
You tell the truth. When I first hunted here in Alaska I used a stevens 200 in a 243 win. Killed my first caribou just fine. And used key brand bibs I couldn't afford carhartt back then.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Doubt the stocks ,synthetic,or wood will crack. What may happen in extreme cold though is your firing pin will freeze up if you use excessive oil or lubricant. I had this happen twice as a kid in a Remington 788. Temp was around -10* or so.If it is really cold, I wipe all lubricant off my bolt, and trigger. I haven't had one freeze up since I have done this, and I hunt coyotes all winter, and it gets pretty cold.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Remington6MM

Remington6mm,
Energize some sort of grey matter before stating your ignorance.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
It’s a bit comical to get called out on shooting in extreme arctic conditions by someone who lives where they’ve rarely ever seen a frost.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Don't worry about it, I doubt he'll be back.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Remington6MM

That is an old wife's tale ! I don't know how many stainless steel Ruger mini-14's there are riding on snow machines and dog sled that are regularly used well below -40 !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,269
Posts18,486,588
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.