He came in directly to my right not 10 minutes after sitting next to a tree. I had just moved a bit before I saw him but he saw my movement. I sit still for a minute before he decided to check it out. The wind was perfect and blowing 15mph. He stopped again at 20 yards and looked straight at me.

In a few more steps, he'd be in the thick stuff, so I flipped the safety, brought the rifle up to my wrong shoulder and shot him left handed (I'm a righty). He ran about 50 yards through the thick stuff. I just missed the shoulder knuckle, he was just slightly quartered from being straight on.

It's been an odd season, I've hunted 5 days total, and killed 2 bucks.

I made a conscious effort to only hunt the good days. The property I hunt is only a 175 yards wide and 600 yards long, with the long side running north/south. We've had so many days of NE, E and SE winds this year that I wouldn't go out. A big front moved in last night and the wind was perfect. It's been tough going 5 days without hunting but I vowed to not go out unless the wind was right.

It's the 4th deer I've shot lefty in the last 9 seasons. High temp today is 38, so I don't have to mess with him for a few days. That wind was killing my hands.