Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Bugger
The biggest problem for the 7mm-08 is the short action that limits the COL!

I load 162 A-Max's in mine - pretty long bullet. No COAL issues for max loads.

What’s the muzzle velocity of the load?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
sakoluvr,

Well, the other problem with this supposed "problem" is that seating bullets out quite a bit doesn't make nearly as much difference is most people believe, partly because any gain in powder room in a typical caliber (such as 7mm or .30) isn't enough to make a significant difference in velocity.

Using the 7mm-08 as an example, the case holds around 50 grains of powder, give or take a little depending on powder and bullet. If we could seat a bullet 1/2" further out, the gain in powder room would be about 6%, or 53 grains.

Many people assume that the long-seated round could then gain 6% in velocity, about 180 fps with handloads around 3000 fps. But that's not how extra powder capacity works. Instead the gain is only about 1/4 as much as the gain in powder room--in this instance about 45 fps, which is basically unnoticeable in the field.

The other problem is that some bullets can't be seated 1/2" further out in the 7mm-08, because they wouldn't be held very firmly by the neck--or with lighter, shorter bullets not held at all.

As a result, about 1/4" further out is about the practical limit--IF we want to use wide range of bullets 7mm is known for. This means the potential gain in velocity would be about half as much as when seating bullets 1/2" out, for a gain of around 22.5 fps with loads in the 3000 fps range.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought my son a 7-08 for his 9th birthday 15 years ago. I watched him kill deer after deer with 120 gr BT hand loads. Hmmmm says I. That is a sweet round! I chose it over a .243 and never looked back.

I found a Remington Varmint Special with that heavy barrel a few years ago. Always wanted one. Saw it was chambered in 7-08 and been grinning like a jackass eating briars ever since.

I always thought of the 7-08 as a main stream chambering but I have not come across anyone using it. Very surprised! A range buddy said it was a female or kids load. Bahahaha

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kipp
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Big fan of the 284 Win myself.

Fireball2, what rifles do you have the 284 Winchester in? Personally, I just have the one M88, I would love to find a Savage 99 in that caliber though!

I've collected a good percentage of the Savage 99's that were offered in .284, including the rarer ones with cut checkering from 1964 only. I probably have 8 or 10 at this time. I hunt with a late 60's 99F in .284 that has newer style wood on it. Saving the safe queens for collecting.

LOL
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by shaman
There is only really one reason - the 7mm-08 is depressing.

There may be some real truth there.

Take my situation. I've went into this deer season with a new 7mm-08 rifle. I brought 3 others with the idea that I'd keep my Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06 as a backup in case anything else went wrong. I also brought the Mauser From Hell (8X57) and my Savage 99 (.308 WIN). Honestly, any one of the 4 could have done the job, but I set each up for different venues (long vs. short range, treestand vs. ground blind, etc.)

It just so happened that I picked the TC Compass in 7mm-08 for a trip to my tower blind, and a nice doe walked out at 120 yards and . . . well, the rest is history. It was supposed to be my close-in deep cover treestand gun, but I never got a chance to get there. It's okay. I'm not bitter, but my struggle ended without a struggle. The deer went over backwards and all I saw was the tail twitching-- no drama, no muss, no fuss.

What's more: no serious load development. I shot her with the first pick of powder (Varget), bullet (Hornady IL 139 SP) and out of 25 rounds loaded, I've still got a bunch left. I could stop right there.

Now, is that depressing? What happens when you get success on your first try?

Compare that to the Mauser from Hell: basket case sporterized Kar 98 that my buddy basically threw at me. Minute of bushel basket. It took years of effort, hundred of dollars, and multiple trips to the gunsmith, multiple arcane tweaks, several different bullets and a bunch of range time to get it to where it is. Along the way I lost my taste for Mauser conversions. It finally produced the best group I ever shot, and has accounted for several nice bucks, but at what price? Only you guys can understand the bittersweet victory it's brought.

So here I sit with a very mundane 7mm-08 rifle in a mundane stock. Am I depressed? Should I be?

The other sub-current in all this is that 7mm-08 is the next step down the path to oblivion. I knew it. I took that step with complete knowledge of what it meant. I'm 62. I decided in 2014 to make one last 30-06 purchase. I knew eventually I'd not be able to handle the recoil, and figured it was time to spend the latter part of my hunting career investigating the sub-thirty universe. 7mm-08 was that first step. I figure I'll be right on target when they find me in a leopard thong up in a treestand with a 223 REM and have to use a dart gun to get me down.

Shaman I don't think you can blame all Mauser's because you decided to resurrect a particularly difficult specimen and make a good rifle out of it. I have a bone stock in military trim M98 in 8MM Mauser of course that shoots great as is. In fact I need to sell it before I have the bolt handle replaced, restock it, have it drilled and tapped and otherwise spend hundreds of dollars on it.

About your antiqueness 62 is not all that old and the 7-08 is a fine round for any age or gender. I think you ought to build a 260 Remington to further perfect the light kicking deer killer and cement you rifle loonyism.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
sakoluvr,

Well, the other problem with this supposed "problem" is that seating bullets out quite a bit doesn't make nearly as much difference is most people believe, partly because any gain in powder room in a typical caliber (such as 7mm or .30) isn't enough to make a significant difference in velocity.

Using the 7mm-08 as an example, the case holds around 50 grains of powder, give or take a little depending on powder and bullet. If we could seat a bullet 1/2" further out, the gain in powder room would be about 6%, or 53 grains.

Many people assume that the long-seated round could then gain 6% in velocity, about 180 fps with handloads around 3000 fps. But that's not how extra powder capacity works. Instead the gain is only about 1/4 as much as the gain in powder room--in this instance about 45 fps, which is basically unnoticeable in the field.

The other problem is that some bullets can't be seated 1/2" further out in the 7mm-08, because they wouldn't be held very firmly by the neck--or with lighter, shorter bullets not held at all.

As a result, about 1/4" further out is about the practical limit--IF we want to use wide range of bullets 7mm is known for. This means the potential gain in velocity would be about half as much as when seating bullets 1/2" out, for a gain of around 22.5 fps with loads in the 3000 fps range.

However being able to seat the bullet out to near the lands often makes a positive gain in accuracy. In addition, as the rifling gets eroded the bullets can't be set out further. My complaint avbout short actions wasn't velocity.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Shaman I don't think you can blame all Mauser's because you decided to resurrect a particularly difficult specimen and make a good rifle out of it. I have a bone stock in military trim M98 in 8MM Mauser of course that shoots great as is. In fact I need to sell it before I have the bolt handle replaced, restock it, have it drilled and tapped and otherwise spend hundreds of dollars on it.

SuperCore, my hunting buddy, the guy who basically gave me the Mauser From Hell was reminiscing about the troubles he had with the rifle before sloughing it off in me. In one episode, he sent it to one of the best gunsmiths in the area, but the shop was now being run by the guy's son, and he failed miserably. SuperCore finally got the gun back, took it to the range and on the 3rd shot, the scope flew off.

I'm not off Mausers or even custom Mausers, but I certainly got all romantic notions of doing my own all easy-peasy dowsed but good. It was like finding your 8th grade sweetheart snogging your best friend and then having the romance go on all through high school. It took me longer than that to get the Mauser From Hell properly regulated.

In fact, if someone handed me a Mauser action tomorrow, I'd probably have a 7mm-08 barrel stuck on it, and have it labelled "275 Short Rigby"

Oh Drat! Now you got me thinking again.

Last edited by shaman; 11/30/20.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The really sweet thing about the M98 is it's absolute correctness for the 7x57 so in doing so you would be slighting a legend, along with cutting yourself out of the chance to buy another set of reloading dies. My 7-08 is a very light Model 7 and my 7x57 is a medium heavy rifle on a Mauser 98. The best of both worlds. Hah!

Dog I rescued in January

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
these days i just don`t see guys using medium size cartridges much for group size target shooting much in a target match,most target shooters like smaller cartridges these days 6 BR or something made off this 6BR cartridge reason is this little cartridge is accurate and has much less recoil. its a lot easier to shoot a 6 BR all day over any medium cartridge including a 7mm-08 even a 6.5 Creedmoor isn`t used much in these matches. heavier recoil all day just ain`t fun for anyone when someone with some type of 6 BR out shoots you at 600 yards or even at 1,000 yards. here in Minnesota our FTR class you can`t use a muzzle brake on your rifle so laying down shooting, recoil gets real old matter fact i ain`t using my 6.5x284 no more tired of the recoil by the end of the day. but for hunting the 7mm-08 is a fine cartridge for anyone, matter fact this year i purchased a new Browning BLR 7mm-08 S.S its going to be a great deer rifle !

Last edited by pete53; 11/30/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Big fan of the 284 Win myself. I've collected a good percentage of the Savage 99's that were offered in .284, including the rarer ones with cut checkering from 1964 only. I probably have 8 or 10 at this time. I hunt with a late 60's 99F in .284 that has newer style wood on it. Saving the safe queens for collecting

Wow! I hope to find one to sit beside my 88. It would be a blast to get a deer with one! I think its a great caliber. Do you have anything else in .284 ?

You know you're from Oregon if; You know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still raining, and construction
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a line on a mint 24" barrel & forend setup in 7mm-08 for a T/C Encore for a good price. Gonna be converting my Encore in the near future. It's a great all around cartridge. My Encore is currently a 15" 7mm-08 handgun. Gonna step up to a thumbhole stock and 24" barrel. Staying with 7mm-08 was an easy decision. Plus; I already have dies, and plenty of brass, powder, primers & bullets.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kipp
Big fan of the 284 Win myself. I've collected a good percentage of the Savage 99's that were offered in .284, including the rarer ones with cut checkering from 1964 only. I probably have 8 or 10 at this time. I hunt with a late 60's 99F in .284 that has newer style wood on it. Saving the safe queens for collecting

Wow! I hope to find one to sit beside my 88. It would be a blast to get a deer with one! I think its a great caliber. Do you have anything else in .284 ?

I don't.

LOL
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Email from the president and owner of the international law firm of Calibers 7mm and 28 to the the partners of the firm.

I have contracted with the well known and esteemed author Mr. Mule Deer to write the biography or our oldest partner in the firm, 7mm Mauser or 275 Rigby as he is affectionately known by our British clients. Mr Deer will have complete literary license in the compiling of this tome and I would expect he will reference all the members of the firm in some capacity. With that in mind please submit your background and some of your litigation history for his use. Thank you all for your participation in this matter as we seek to bring well deserved recognition to our most senior partner.

Reply from 7mm-08.

Respectfully sir, I question why this action is being taken to recognize Mauser's contributions to the firm when all of us have contributed to the long standing success of the firm. My own litigation performance mirrors Mauser's and quite honestly sir, Mauser is a relic from the past whose best days are behind him and I am coming into my own as a litigator and have demonstrated my ability to argue cases against many adversaries. I feel anyone of us within the firm are deserving of such recognition.

President

There is no debating that you are a skilled litigator and capable of everything Mauser is but realistically our clients only use you occasionally to argue a case against a couple of whitetails and on rare occasions elk, moose and even bear. Now you have acquitted yourself well in those cases, but Mauser has argued all the same cases. And he's done it for 127 years. Additionally, he has litigated in battlefield courtrooms, steaming jungle courtrooms, the courts of the African veld and the frigid Arctic tribunals. If any of our partners are worthy of Mr. Deer's considerable biographical skills, it is most definitely Mr. Mauser.

As to the other members of our firm, much of the heavy lifting in our firm is handled by Remington and to a lesser degree, Weatherby. Both are solid performers as is Shultz and Larsen, thou he seems to appeal more to our European clients. STW, 7-30 and TCU are somewhat specialized in their clientele. 280 has potential though he has to put under some pressure otherwise he seems to stagnate. 284 has always been dependable but many clients are put off by his brash form. He has found considerable work in joint ventures with the 26/6.5mm Firm across the street. Ross and H&H have been around nearly as long as Mauser but seem to only be chosen by our Canadian and British clients, and a few eccentric domestic clients. Ross could be a better performer but is a complicated individual who has to be handled with some care. WSM started out his career with great expectations but didn't appeal to many of our clients. 28 Nosler recently joined the firm but has yet to establish his standing in the firm. SAUM and Ultramag are still part of the firm but their existence with the firm is tenuous at best. And Pedersen just needs to go. He hangs out in the safe and never comes out. Most of our clients have never seen him or even heard of him.

So 7mm-08, when your performance, history and longevity matches that of Mauser's, I will be happy to contract with a noted author to write your biography. In the meantime keep up the good work and don't worry about what the other partners are receiving for recognition.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hah!

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As mule deer stated.

I was in the murdochs store this afternoon. Shelves very empty, no primers, not much at all.

But 7 08 ammo was there! 140 grain Winchester I think. $17.00 a box.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Mart:

That's pretty clever, but I think one of the senior partners in the Berlin office is going to be pretty upset.

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
What about Mashburn?

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
What about Mashburn?

Too easily confused with manbun?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RevMike
Mart:

That's pretty clever, but I think one of the senior partners in the Berlin office is going to be pretty upset.

RM

And the senior partner of the venerable Rigby firm is right put off claiming his domestic clients are "eccentric" and has contacted his Barrister as he believes these slights actionable (even if true to some extent!) grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I expect Herr Brenneke is a bit peeved, especially considering that his twin brother-from-another-mother from States got honorable mention.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

228 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 01Foreman400, 204guy, 257heaven, 38 invisible), 2,155 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,974
Posts18,499,461
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.