Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
On the farm, it's blended fuel, chains on tractors, and loader. 13-30 oil, a feed sac over half the grill.

Waterer heaters all checked over.

What do you farm, rural folks do?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just got the first batch of 50/50 diesel delivered, and changed the hydraulic oil in the excavator to the winter light weight spec (we use the excavator for loading). Pumps that aren’t running are drained, everyone has their winter gloves and liners. The Kenworth got new shoes and fresh chains this year, air dryer and the Webasto heater serviced. Coon traps are out to thin the herd, neighbor kid is making coon skin hats.

Other than that, just hoping the waders don’t leak....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by wabigoon
On the farm, it's blended fuel, chains on tractors, and loader. 13-30 oil, a feed sac over half the grill.

Waterer heaters all checked over.

What do you farm, rural folks do?

Pretty much the same, just a bit earlier than some.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't do a lot different in the winter than I do the rest of the year. I will put a heater in a couple of water troughs, and keep the tractor batteries on a battery tender. We just don't have the real cold weather here like a lot of you do, and even if it does get cold, and it can, it doesn't last long.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Back when, we used to bank the house with tar paper, and hay bales, makes a dark basement.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Winter got here a few weeks ago,so everything was pretty much done.Stock tank heater has been making the electric meter spin and I am feeding more hay. Chains on tractor, snow blower greased and mounted. It has been in the teens most nights for awhile.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I don't do a lot different in the winter than I do the rest of the year. I will put a heater in a couple of water troughs, and keep the tractor batteries on a battery tender. We just don't have the real cold weather here like a lot of you do, and even if it does get cold, and it can, it doesn't last long.

Like James we don't have to do a lot.

On cold days I'll bust the ice on top of the trough if needed. Drain the water pump after filling trough.

Put hay out daily. I do put hay racks out to keep it elevated but it takes 30 minutes to hang those once a year.

We'll have our first night below freezing tonight with it in the 20's. Been snowing a few hours now which is rare for around here.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We use four of this type of heater in the cattle waterers. I bought this one on our farm store discount day.
We need to date, and record the brand to learn if the Microflows are any better.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I use one of these. Thermostat control to 40* I believe. My horse tank is a dead 15cu ft chest freezer with a hole in the lid.

Never had ice in the tank. Don’t know what that adds to the meter, but it is a very economical method.

Doubt it would last w bovines!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Back when, we used to bank the house with tar paper, and hay bales, makes a dark basement.

Attractive, though!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone remember cob-fueled tank heaters?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
John, the "Cowboy" heater? I'll try to get another photo.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Can't find the cast iron heater, I see the the unsinkable steel heater.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
I use one of these. Thermostat control to 40* I believe. My horse tank is a dead 15cu ft chest freezer with a hole in the lid.

Never had ice in the tank. Don’t know what that adds to the meter, but it is a very economical method.

Doubt it would last w bovines!

I use a floating one Mike, 1500 Watts.Here it runs me about $20/mo. to run Have to protect it from the mules though.One will pull it out of the tank.I have 150 gallon poly.if it getsnear zero degrees, I will have ice around the edges,but there is enough open water for the mules to get a drink

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 61 invisible), 2,217 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,820
Posts18,496,496
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.