Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm pretty sure I didn't say the -40 would blow any gun, it's just any thing made of steel does not like -40 weather. Gear boxes, electrical systems, engines.
As far as hunting in that kind of weather, that is real stupid. If you don't have your meat locker filled up before the cold stuff comes in, well your planning skills are severally lacking.

Blaze away girls, so far you are a bunch of amateurs at bashing.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
I'm pretty sure I didn't say the -40 would blow any gun, it's just any thing made of steel does not like -40 weather. Gear boxes, electrical systems, engines.
As far as hunting in that kind of weather, that is real stupid. If you don't have your meat locker filled up before the cold stuff comes in, well your planning skills are severally lacking.

When Alaska had the 20A moose registration hunts they held them in January-February time frame to allow the Tanana and Delta River to freeze so moose hunters could get into the subunits. The Coldest we ever hunted was up the little delta river -40 that morning... Ph uck was it cold.. Yeah it’s not very smart but man it was hell of adventure.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Now we Alaskans don't drive at -40 or colder because vehicle engines will??? (not like it)

At some point my hobbies became my life.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Maybe administrator should get involved here. Before this turns into something else.

At some point my hobbies became my life.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The day we left the little delta according to thermometer it was -15. 4 of us I was the last sled lord the overflow was bad. Our buddy who’s been doing this forever was leading after our first overflow encounter. He pulled over told us to not bunch up and to space out. Just in case a sled got hung up in the overflow. So they all make it through, I take off and when I got close to the bank my sled just stopped. We got it yanked out and saw my track sucked up tree limb stopped the track with that broke my clutch. I had to be towed 30 miles to where we parked our trucks.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 79S; 11/30/20.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Remington6MM

Maybe you should have just avoided coming back. You are not helping your position at all...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
John, I'm up river from the little delta. Yep some years overflow can be bad. To your right in that picture was an inland trail to keep off the known overflow locations. Don't know your buddy, but check in with me if u ever run that spot again. I wouldn't wish frostbite on anyone.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That looks like a very bad day...

Were you able to at least run the engine for grip heat?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rem6mm,
Thanks for stating the fking obvious, that mechanical devices and guns can be troublesome in below zero weather.

As an amateur learning from your keen woodsman skills, we've all learned so much from you. Thanks for blessing us Alaskans with your knowledge.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cwh2
That looks like a very bad day...

Were you able to at least run the engine for grip heat?

We popped the belt off and had it running.. then shut it off then we realized why didn’t we keep it running lol. We stopped to fire it up, by then everything was froze couldn’t even pull the pull start. So bundled up had on Arctic’s mittens off we went..

Last edited by 79S; 11/30/20.

IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
John, I'm up river from the little delta. Yep some years overflow can be bad. To your right in that picture was an inland trail to keep off the known overflow locations. Don't know your buddy, but check in with me if u ever run that spot again. I wouldn't wish frostbite on anyone.

We did the hunt again in 2012 and we pretty much stuck to that trail you are talking about😁

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh I was using a stainless ruger 77 in a 350 Remington mag. Stock didn’t shatter and gun didn’t blow up.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 79S
Oh I was using a stainless ruger 77 in a 350 Remington mag. Stock didn’t shatter and gun didn’t blow up.

Bullshit! 🤣

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Rem6mm,
Thanks for stating the fking obvious, that mechanical devices and guns can be troublesome in below zero weather.

As an amateur learning from your keen woodsman skills, we've all learned so much from you. Thanks for blessing us Alaskans with your knowledge.

This...

LOL

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Oh, you're so welcome.
Anything to help you wonderful people.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You are hardier souls than me for hunting in those temps. You obviously have hardier guns than 6MM Dim.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cluggins
You are hardier souls than me for hunting in those temps. You obviously have hardier guns than 6MM Dim.

Anymore I keep the dumb chit I used to do, to a minimum.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It gets -40 here too occasionally (very rarely) and I never had any such problems with any of my firearms in the cold. I don't go out shooting much at those temps however, but I do have firearms in the truck bed held in clamps on the roll bar, and I have used them to kill coyotes and sometimes a cow if they needed to be put down. I use Mobile 1 full synthetic 90% mixed 10% ATF for all my guns. I have not found anything that works better so far. From as cold as it gets to as hot as it gets in Wyoming, my guns have always worked. Any guns that I'd worry about are not guns I keep. The one that gets the most "outside carry" is an AK47 and it's been 100% reliable in every case I ever fired it. No jams, no misfires and no malfunctions of any kind ..........ever.

When I was a younger man (much younger man) I was a Marine in Force Recon and we did train in ALL KINDS of conditions. The coldest place I ever trained in was north of Ft Greeley in a combined Army, Air Force and Marine Corp operation, or the time we cross-trained with the Canadian Army in northern Yukon. We fired M60s and M16s and the Canadians fired MAG machine Guns and FALs (C1s I think they called them) It was early February north of Ft Greeley, and it was December/January with the Canadians. Keeping the weapons dry lubed was important, but no breakages were reported that I know of. In Yukon I don't know how cold it was, but it was going from -55 to -67 in the Ft Greeley Op. It was about the same in Yukon.

So the idea that the guns would break is not something I would tend to believe. All of them had plastic stocks, hand-guards and grips. And our M16s were made of Aluminum too. If you get them wet from heating up and melting some snow on them it's important to get them blown out so they don't cool and clog with ice. So using weapons in such cold conditions is something you have to learn about, but breaking them was not what we saw. I never did anyway.........

Lubes were used but their main function was to keep the ice from adhering. The Canadians brought a cold weather oil which I think was an automatic transmission fluid. A light coat and the ice could be shoved off the metal. It would not grab the steel. The US Army had some kind of cold weather lube, (not LSA bus something with 3 letters. I can't remember what it was called now) and it seemed to work somewhat, but not as well as what the Canadians give us. One Candida soldier told me it was not something made for firearms, but was what they got from their truckers. It was pink in color.

Last edited by szihn; 11/30/20.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There was the time I went for a swim in the delta river in November few yrs back. Biggest mistake telling my wife, she goes we probably should get a will done for you lol. After that I really throttled back on the dumbchit 😁

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Shocked, I tell you, just shocked.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

407 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 37 invisible), 1,821 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,412
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.