Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Let's say you're on a jury for a felony larceny case. The facts are slightly merky depending on how credible you find the defendant but the verdict could reasonably go either way. The defendant is a pretty young mom. She takes the stand in her own defense. Then on cross you find out she has 4 prior larceny convictions, 2 of which are felonies, and one of which was pending when this alleged crime happened. She is facing up to 60 years on this incident, several different charges one crime.

How likely are you to be swayed by her prior convictions to find her guilty in this case?
How likely are you to use it to hammer her on sentencing despite her being a pretty young mom?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was that evidence argued, or did you discover it?

Pretty young mom means nothing.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Me?......not likely. 😉

Violence, especially directed at children, women, elderly, disabled.....I’m likely. Theft without force?.....🙄

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
The evidence relies on the credibility of different witnesses. If you believe several prosecution witnesses, then she is guilty. If you believe her, then you can find her not guilty. Without her testimony, she has no defense. So the whole defense comes down to her credibility, which tends to be impeached by her record of felonies and crimes of moral terpitude.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
1. Very
2. Pretty young mom has nothing to do with it.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
60 years for larceny

Holy fook, Singapore?

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
each count 20 years

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I didn't think prior convictions were supposed to be brought up in an active case, and could be grounds for dismissal if it happens.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I would have to see the testimony for myself to answer..

There are statutes to cover multiple offenses. Follow the law as it applies.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DMc
I didn't think prior convictions were supposed to be brought up in an active case, and could be grounds for dismissal if it happens.

That was the case in the last trial I was a jury member.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DMc

can be used to impeach the credibility of any witness

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ignore the priors.....make your decision solely on the evidence presented. The proof must beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by readonly
Originally Posted by DMc

I believe he's talking about the defendant.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by DMc

I believe he's talking about the defendant.

but that includes the defendant if they testify

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
She's bound to be guilty 'r she wouldn't be here! Starboard gun...FIRE!

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by vapodog
ignore the priors.....make your decision solely on the evidence presented. The proof must beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Actually, it's reasonable doubt.....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Let's say you're on a jury for a felony larceny case. The facts are slightly merky depending on how credible you find the defendant but the verdict could reasonably go either way. The defendant is a pretty young mom. She takes the stand in her own defense. Then on cross you find out she has 4 prior larceny convictions, 2 of which are felonies, and one of which was pending when this alleged crime happened. She is facing up to 60 years on this incident, several different charges one crime.

How likely are you to be swayed by her prior convictions to find her guilty in this case?
How likely are you to use it to hammer her on sentencing despite her being a pretty young mom?

Surprised the defense allowed her priors and pending case to be introduced in trial. Unheard of

Last edited by ribka; 11/30/20.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

Didn't the judge tell you to not discuss the case with anyone and to not use social media? That is a pretty standard instruction these days.

Tarquin
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting question you're posing.

Did the judge give thorough instructions as to how to evaluate the evidence in regards to the laws of the jurisdiction?

Juries can be a fickle beast. I know of one case where a likely guilty party was off the hook due to a hung jury. Hung because one member decided to think along the lines of "well, he might have done this and not what the evidence shows. It's what I would have done"

I'd have to base a decision on the facts of the case as presented. If the priors were introduced and allowed to stand, then I'd have to take that into consideration. In the case you mention, I'd have to consider the veracity of the prosecution witnesses also, and perhaps their motives if any.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Tarquin

Didn't the judge tell you to not discuss the case with anyone and to not use social media? That is a pretty standard instruction these days.

To be sure this is hypothetical and I'm not sitting on any jury.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

472 members (204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,669 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,807
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.