Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Saturday was opening day here in Pa. At daybreak a deer got pushed from the top of the ridge and headed into the bottom where I sit. Heard him make a circle behind me. Was still fairly dark. Looked through my binoculars and found the deer, and saw he was legal. Pulled up my gun, and could not find him in the scope. Had it set on 3 power for greatest light transmission, but just couldn't find him in the fairly heavy cover. Listened to him walk off, and a few minutes later my brother shot him. I could dimly see him through binoculars which are nothing special, a pair of 6 or 8 year old Nikon Monarchs. Scope of the gun was a Swarovski Z3 3-9x36. Keep thinking if I had a scope with better light transmission maybe I could have gotten a shot?! Anyway, maybe it wasn't the scopes fault, maybe simply too dark. So I am not sure whether I should pursue a brighter scope or not. I thought the Swarovski's were pretty good at light transmission...Normally when the deer move down into the bottom it is lighter, but since he was pushed by someone at the top it was earlier than it normally is.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looking forward to a healthy discussion on this. I may be in the market for a new scope and a thread declaring a Swarovski as a starting rung on the ladder is just the ticket..

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
First thought is if you have to find something in your scope, you're doing it wrong.

Other thunk is not bold enough reticle and/or too dang dark yet.

Still, one should never have to find anything through a scope.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would figure out ehat time it was and what time legal light was in your area first.

May have just been too early.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by BtailHunter
First thought is if you have to find something in your scope, you're doing it wrong.

I don't think you read the OP's post very well.

He said he located and assessed the deer through his Nikon binos...but when he shouldered his rifle to shoot the deer, he couldn't see the deer through his scope.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by War_Eagle

He said he located and assessed the deer through his Nikon binos...but when he shouldered his rifle to shoot the deer, he couldn't see the deer through his scope.

I read it just fine. I'm not talking about a 'safety issue', I'm talking about finding things in your scope. He said he couldn't find the deer in his scope. Perhaps bad wording.

I've seen lots of people 'search' for the deer/target/whatever through the scope. Why, because they never learned how to correctly shoulder a rifle.

Keep your eye on what you want to shoot and bring the rifle up and it will be there. Lots of people do not do that. It took me forever to teach the wife to keep her eye on the target as you are bringing the gun/binoculars up to bare.

I'm just responding to this in the OP's post: "could not find him in the scope"

Find and see are two different things.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by War_Eagle

And the less wordy response is, show me where in his post he stated he couldn't see the deer through his scope.

Again, it might well be using the wrong words, but I based my response on his wording of 'find' which is not the same as see.

So to solve the problem, we first have to know the problem.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
3x is not brightest. Turn that one up to 5 or 6x. Saw a comparison video that found your scope not as bright as VX3 among others.

I would look at a better scope with heavy reticle. Order a few different prospects.Try it in the conditions you intend to use it before mounting. Return the rejects. Problem attended to.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Buy whatever scope your brother was using?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
6x would have been better. Most of the light in the 12mm exit pupil you had didn't make it into your eye.

IC B3

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
BtailHunter, yup, you are right. In thinking it over, I do not do well at "searching" through the scope. I could find the deer with binos but not with the scope. As to shooting light, it was close. Legal shooting light was at 6:45, he walked through maybe 6:55

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by KEVIN_JAY
Buy whatever scope your brother was using?

Well it was probably 5 minutes later, and 5 minutes would probably have given me what I needed!! He was using a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
1. Was the deer moving or standing still?

2. How far was the deer?

3. Was the rising sun coming up behind you, behind the deer, or off to R-L side?

4. Did you have any kind or rest or were you completely off-hand?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by horse1
1. Was the deer moving or standing still?

2. How far was the deer?

3. Was the rising sun coming up behind you, behind the deer, or off to R-L side?

4. Did you have any kind or rest or were you completely off-hand?

1. Moving
2. 50-60 yards
3. Sun not visible, I am in the bottoms between 2 ridges, but was facing east.
4. rested against the side of a tree.

Last edited by Jevyod; 12/01/20.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Do you have a #4 reticle on your 3-9x36? Bolder reticle then their Plex. What rifle is your scope mounted on ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
13 replies so far and we haven't moved away from the Swarovski......its a candidate for me as well

Was hoping for some zeiss or meopta comparisons...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SCgman1
13 replies so far and we haven't moved away from the Swarovski......its a candidate for me as well

Was hoping for some zeiss or meopta comparisons...

Out of the Z3 one inch Swarovski scopes I have owned the most reliable in lowlight is the 4-12x50 with #4 reticle. I owned a 3-10x42 and it didn't measure up in 2 lowlight situations in of all places a Greenfield at Dark , have never owned the 3-9x36.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The europeans have been hunting the extremes of twilight forever, it's how they do it....look at what they are using...6x minimum, more common is 8x. Look at the offerings of euro scopes on ebay, huge objectives and higher powers.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I looked at several z3’s and concluded that they were not markedly better than several others that I own. Z3 is a fine scope but certainly not the best on the market. I don’t think any 33-36 mm objective is ideal for low light hunting.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Do you have a #4 reticle on your 3-9x36? Bolder reticle then their Plex. What rifle is your scope mounted on ?

I am pretty sure it is the plex reticle. Mounted on a 358 Win built off a Mauser action... the one pictured below

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

183 members (12344mag, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 1100mag, 23 invisible), 1,568 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,268
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.