Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's not the Remington model most think of when they say that.

Beautiful work.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Operative words of course being "Model 30"....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Not your normal custom Remington but probably one of the most useful ones

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That’s a heckuva rifle!

Semper Fi
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
WOW!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I wonder if it holds 5 down?

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like the model 30, I need one!

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Eh. I rather like Remington Model 30s the way they came from the factory. This one has been remodeled to look like too many other customized Mausers and Model 70s I'm sure the workmanship is great, and the wood is pretty, but I'd rather have a stock Model 30.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Ploughman
Eh. I rather like Remington Model 30s the way they came from the factory. This one has been remodeled to look like too many other customized Mausers and Model 70s I'm sure the workmanship is great, and the wood is pretty, but I'd rather have a stock Model 30.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The original stock configuration of the 30 was hard to beat. I've never fired a .416 Whatzis, so maybe it needs a big old model 70 style railroad tie...but it ain't my cup of tea. The light colored wood is, yawn. To each his own I guess.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by Ploughman

Couldn't have said it better myself. The original stock configuration of the 30 was hard to beat. I've never fired a .416 Whatzis, so maybe it needs a big old model 70 style railroad tie...but it ain't my cup of tea. The light colored wood is, yawn. To each his own I guess.

you 2 need to eyeball the name of this forum

Great rifle!

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The caliber takes away any qualms I may or may not have.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
That's a beauty by two top notch artisans.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I've collected more than my share of Remington Model 30 rifles, reflecting their several style change iterations. Some comments, relating. First the Model 1917 action, as sportierized, the 'near perfect' action for the long mag chambering. Itself inherently long. By the time of the Express 30S action, its refinement cycle was about complete and only the "big & heavy" complaint yet standing and largely inherent to the rifle itself. The one of interest here, coming in at over 10 lbs.
I like most of what I can see of the cool customization. The stock is beautiful though I do agree with the above comment that the coloration isn't best. Another thing I hope is just the photo angle or some such. The bolt handle appears to largely obscure the trigger in any ergonomic sense I could contemplate absent perhaps left hand trigger finger use! Weird!
As to stock color, sometimes when I'm illustrating with guns from my photo files, I modify images to best reflect such as nomenclature. That sort of result seeming like mine. But, to presume the color rendition is inaccurate... Not! Looking bland.
The Model 30 action by the time of this last sub-model iteration was cock on opening. That 'should be "factory", but for any alterations perhaps required by safety modification. Ironically, the Model '17 safety was 'pretty durn good'! The Model 30 ejector box was bit more streamlined. Unsure why to have returned to the exact 98 style since both functioning the same! Biggest changes are first, the receiver itself. The Model 30 with clip guides. Dispensed as the bridge area cut back as appropriate for comfortable loading/accommodating the longer 416 Rigby rounds. The bolt "dog leg" handle gone and bottom metal replaced; reference above comment qualifying approval. I do believe the custom "deep magazine box" style is classic express rifle and a large plus. The original metal was strictly 17 Enfield/Model 30 configuration with "straightened" front guard screw area. Nothing wrong with that, but not "custom express rifle" considerably more 'svelte'! IN addition, all the internal large mag 'accommodation' changes of course.

My biggest problem in evaluating the rifle is the lack of pix. I'd want a plethora including full R&L "center-fold" shots as well as such as the cheekpiece which to me sets something of the rifle 'theme'. I prefer the rounded, shadow European style. I see a lot of quality here, along with questions and 'potentially' deal killer bolt handle. Perhaps a few beers & it'd look fine! smile
The rifle dates to 1940 and end of production as the Model 720 intro'd that year. Some relevant quik pix of an original (but for rear sight base) model 30S Express.
Best & stay safe!
John

Attached Images
R74-5U.jpg (24.96 KB, 311 downloads)
R74-6.jpg (28.42 KB, 317 downloads)
R74-15U.jpg (35.77 KB, 311 downloads)
R74-17.jpg (11.92 KB, 301 downloads)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's pretty, and likely functional.

Personally would not be my pick to have a fine custom with the name Rem on it, but no doubt that action was made in a different time, like many older Winchester', Sako's, various Mausers, etc.

Again, it looks like a nice rifle and someone should enjoy it.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I have absolutely no need for it but if I had the extra cash just sitting around it sure would look good in my safe. I think for what you are getting and who built it the price is pretty good. I don’t think you would lose money on it if you sold it a few years down the road

Last edited by pacecars; 12/04/20.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That’d be an awesome tool to bring along on a real old school big 5 African safari.

Gorgeous rifle masterful work but not the sort of Remington I think of as “can’t be made into a fine custom rifle”. As has been mentioned, these model 30s are a far cry from a Wally World 700.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There was a famous big game hunter in the 30's and 40's that took a North American grand slam, I believe the first to do so, and he used just one rifle during his quest. It was a Remington 30 Express customized by Griffin and Howe in 30-06 caliber. He advertised for Peter's ammunition.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1234, 54 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,647
Posts18,474,558
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.