Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
I carry two sets of chains for when SHTF. I tend to turn around or boogy out of dodge before needing them. But if I do, both sets are ready to go.

Yeah, me too. I just was out hunting for several days, went to bed there was about 6" of snow, woke up to almost 2ft.
Packed up to move to lower ground, chain up all four on a 85 chevy 1 ton dually and took me 5hrs to go 2 miles having to dig out 5 or 6 times.
It was nasty pushing snow with the bumper and the big block 454 just working to get out of there, I got lucky.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What are corks?

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by High_Noon
What are corks?

Cork boots...Boots with sharp spikes in bedded in the soles. Used by loggers and others who are dealing with wet, slick, terrain.

šŸ˜Ž

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
ā€œMolon Labeā€
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ribka
Hunting the last few days of Wt deer in N Idaho. Drove up into the mountains where I saw a decent buck a few days ago in a clearcut up top.. Started snowing pretty good in the upper Selkirks. About 2 feet and still coming down hard so decided to head to lower elevations. I took a shorter route through a remote mountain pass. Pretty big pucker factor as did not have the chains along. lol

that why they make 4 low

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Do you drive a Subaru?

My Tundra would have made short work of that.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by duck911
Hunting the last few days of Wt deer in N Idaho. Drove up into the mountains where I saw a decent buck a few days ago in a clearcut up top.. Started snowing pretty good in the upper Selkirks. About 2 feet and still coming down hard so decided to head to lower elevations. I took a shorter route through a remote mountain pass. Pretty big pucker factor as did not have the chains along. lol

that why they make 4 low

Do you drive a Subaru?

A Geo Metro would make short work of that, with the right tires or chains on.

Ribka's point with that pic has nothing to do with the 3-4 inches of unplowed snow. It's the packed ice. The kind that'll make you slip on your ass on your first step out of the vehicle.

R
ribka Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R

that why they make 4 low

Do you drive a Subaru?

Yep 4 wheel drive works great braking in on a steep downhill rmountain road ice. lol

I have a Tundra, and this aint the golf course cuck911.

Driving down a steep and remote mountain gravel road pass with a 1500 ft drop off and in 2 feet of wet freezing snow aint like driving a golf cart in suburban Colorado. That was the entire point of the post. I think a local snowmobile club plowed that road. a metro would have been pushing snow with its bumpers the 2 miles up the pass.

Yep lesson learned- I left the house without chains and should have known better hunting in the mountains as conditions change quickly.

Last edited by ribka; 12/01/20.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

that why they make 4 low

Do you drive a Subaru?

Yep 4 wheel drive works great braking in on a steep rmountain road ice. lol

Driving down a steep and remote mountain gravel road pass with a 1500 ft drop off and in 2 feet of wet freezing snow aint like driving a golf cart in suburban Colorado. That was the entire point of the post.

LOL!

Weeeee! A slippery icy road in wet snow. DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Give me a fuggin' break.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 2011 Tundra Rock Warrior with the SuperCharger kit on it from the factory.

An excellent rig! Iā€™ve climbed some seriously stupid mountains in snow and ice. But, Iā€™ve yet to figure out how to safely come down the steep grades once Iā€™m done scouting.

Iā€™ve stayed hours and even did an overnight on a mountain top because if I tried coming off. I would either be dead or typing this drivel with my nose.

Goin up ainā€™t ever the problem. Itā€™s down.

šŸ˜Ž

ā€œMolon Labeā€
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

that why they make 4 low

Do you drive a Subaru?

Yep 4 wheel drive works great braking in on a steep downhill rmountain road ice. lol

Driving down a steep and remote mountain gravel road pass with a 1500 ft drop off and in 2 feet of wet freezing snow aint like driving a golf cart in suburban Colorado. That was the entire point of the post. I think a local snowmobile club plowed that road. a metro would have been pushing snow with its bumpers the 2 miles up the pass.

Yep lesson learned- I left the house without chains and should have known better hunting in the mountains as conditions change quickly.

Was that pic taken way further down the mountain? I am not seeing anything close to 2 feet of snow. Even the built up plow berm doesn't look half that deep.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10

šŸ˜Ž

I'm not too sure I agree. It is fairly rare, but I have done this going uphill on mountain roads. The pucker factor gets redlined.
[Linked Image from cbsnews3.cbsistatic.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman

šŸ˜Ž

I'm not too sure I agree. It is fairly rare, but I have done this going uphill on mountain roads. The pucker factor gets redlined.

Just gotta stay on it brother...You let off and the circus can begin. Grins

šŸ˜Ž

Edit...Thatā€™s a solid sheet of ice. Iā€™m speaking of packed ice with snow. Nobody can safely do a steep grade on an ice sheet without serious traction devices and fĆ»ck ton of lucky....

Last edited by Beaver10; 12/01/20.

ā€œMolon Labeā€
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Chaining a log to the back to keep from spinning around is pretty hard core.... most spooked I've been was in a sudden white out.... I was totally disoriented. I wanted to just stop but was afraid someone would just run into me so I just creeped along at maybe 5 MPH.... was very relieved when I could start to see again.... pretty surprised I hadn't driven off the road too.

Please don't feed the trolls!
R
ribka Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a 2011 Tundra Rock Warrior with the SuperCharger kit on it from the factory.

An excellent rig! Iā€™ve climbed some seriously stupid mountains in snow and ice. But, Iā€™ve yet to figure out how to safely come down the steep grades once Iā€™m done scouting.

Iā€™ve stayed hours and even did an overnight on a mountain top because if I tried coming off. I would either be dead or typing this drivel with my nose.

šŸ˜Ž

up aint a problem, its the down gravity problem. I don t care how good your tires are

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

šŸ˜Ž

šŸ˜Ž

Edit...Thatā€™s a solid sheet of ice. Iā€™m speaking of packed ice with snow. Nobody can safely do a steep grade on an ice sheet without serious traction devices and fĆ»ck ton of lucky....

Ha! keeping on the gas often works, but not always. I've rolled a UTV with a dog box and 4 lion hounds in it by flooring it uphill, then sliding back down like that bus. I've also floored it when chained up....only to dig down through the packed snow and become high centered. That is a rare situation, but I have done it.

With some unpacked snow on top, you for sure get at least some traction. The road in Ribka's pic has unpacked snow, but something tells me around some of the bends it has been packed down to nothing but solid ice, just like what I was dealing with last Saturday. Several hunters slid into each other that day, because it was essentially like the ice in the bus GIF above, but on a one lane dirt road with a stellar embankment to fall off.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

šŸ˜Ž

up aint a problem, its the down gravity problem. I don t care how good your tires are

Yeah....I think thatā€™s what I said. Double checking. Yep! I concur. šŸ˜¬šŸ˜Ž

ā€œMolon Labeā€
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

šŸ˜Ž

šŸ˜Ž

Ha! keeping on the gas often works, but not always. I've rolled a UTV with a dog box and 4 lion hounds in it by flooring it uphill, then sliding back down like that bus. I've also floored it when chained up....only to dig down through the packed snow and become high centered. That is a rare situation, but I have done it.

With some unpacked snow on top, you for sure get at least some traction. The road in Ribka's pic has unpacked snow, but something tells me around some of the bends it has been packed down to nothing but solid ice, just like what I was dealing with last Saturday. Several hunters slid into each other that day, because it was essentially like the ice in the bus GIF above, but on a one lane dirt road with a stellar embankment to fall off.

Holy Fook! Howā€™d the hounds do being tumble dried? Hope they came out ok.

Iā€™m not saying this shĆ®t is easy, or only special dudes know how to drive in mother natureā€™s nightmare. The worst is not being prepared for the situation, or not having gear to help mitigate the adventure.

I usually know leaving what I may be getting myself into. Doesnā€™t change the vapor lock I have had on my o-ring when it happens.

Sometimes you think you can do it....And sometimes you know you got no choice but to try. ā€œPassenger side or drivers side door open to bailā€ BTDT too.

Love hunting!

šŸ˜¬šŸ˜Ž

Last edited by Beaver10; 12/02/20.

ā€œMolon Labeā€
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Iā€™m not saying this shĆ®t is easy, or only special dudes know how to drive in mother natureā€™s nightmare. The worst is not being prepared for the situation, or not having gear to help mitigate the adventure.

I usually know leaving what I may be getting myself into. Doesnā€™t change the vapor lock I have had on my o-ring when it happens.

Sometimes you think you can do it....And sometimes you know you got no choice but to try. ā€œPassenger side or drivers side door open to bailā€ BTDT too.

Love hunting!

šŸ˜¬šŸ˜Ž

They were used to it. Just another day of being thrown around in the dog box to themwhistle.

99+% of the time I have no issues. This Saturday was actually the first time in probably 5 years that I absolutely needed chains to get out and back to town, but I also don't push the limits like I used to. I used to do stuff like that on purpose...because I enjoyed the rushlaugh, and had to start walking to get help several times a year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Love hunting!

šŸ˜¬šŸ˜Ž

They were used to it. Just another day of being thrown around in the dog box to themwhistle.

99+% of the time I have no issues. This Saturday was actually the first time in probably 5 years that I absolutely needed chains to get out and back to town, but I also don't push the limits like I used to. I used to do stuff like that on purpose...because I enjoyed the rushlaugh, and had to start walking to get help several times a year.

If your hounds could only talk....Laffin šŸ˜Ž

ā€œMolon Labeā€
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't own them...they're a buddy's.

He's way worse of a driver than I am.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (160user, 1234, 1minute, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,411
Posts18,507,124
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.