Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Some I need to work on. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's about when they start to get interesting right there. I've got a single bit just like that one hanging on the rack, and don't know who made it.

Waybigoon that double bit axe is called a grubbing axe [ at least up in western Canada],
one with longer narrower blades would be a falling axe , much harder to find

Talus my biggest problem is finding good hickery handles that have the right head shape to fit some of the old tools.
norm

Last edited by norm99; 12/02/20. Reason: post extended

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Nice work.
I am very impressed that you have resisted the urge to stripe the haft with a propane torch.

Definitely agree.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CCCC
Thanks to Jeff et al - I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread. BUT - even more enjoyable for me is to look up on our special wall where we display some true treasures from throughout our lifetime - where I can see, admire and appreciate the axe that Jeff recreated for us. I am touched by his work, and this man.

I know exactly what you mean...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Jeff just seeing this... I am glad you posted this stuff finally... I was fortunate enough to be a guest at Jeff's home last time I was in Phoenix..

he showed me his shop, and a couple of his finished production axes....to see all of this in person, was the biggest treat of all...
(and lets not forget he and his lovely wife's gracious Hosting..)..

Jeff is a very talented man...and a salt of the earth kinda guy...

Jeff, Merry Christmas, to you and your lovely wife Bunny.....

and thanks again for your hospitality and your friendship...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Ever encounter a Winchester brand?

Heard of them seen on the internet, never had one on my bench.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Paul, Art, John, thank you. That means a lot to me.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by norm99
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Some I need to work on. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's about when they start to get interesting right there. I've got a single bit just like that one hanging on the rack, and don't know who made it.

Waybigoon that double bit axe is called a grubbing axe [ at least up in western Canada],
one with longer narrower blades would be a falling axe , much harder to find

Talus my biggest problem is finding good hickery handles that have the right head shape to fit some of the old tools.
norm

I know exactly what you mean. There is not an acceptable axe haft sold by a big handle maker in the US that I know of. However, there are some good ones made by individuals. Check out Liam Hoffman of Hoffman Blacksmithing; Whiskey River Trading Company; Ryan Lambracht; Christopher Killinger. Possibly Owens Axe and Handle, don't know a lot about him.

Sometimes I buy handles from Beaver Tooth Handle company to use as blanks for a hickory haft. They have been acceptable for that purpose. No big axe companies I know of, including Gransfors Bruks and Hults Bruks, have handles worth a hoot (aesthetically; they are fine functionally). A guy even commissioned me to replace the handle on his brand new Gransfers Bruks. All the beautiful fawns foot (and other) hafts are being made in small shops by men and women dedicated to that craft.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Norm99, I get mine from house handles, those older axes rarely flt w/in the selection of eye size and I just get a larger size. They also sell wood and metal wedges. Lots of rasping and sanding will usually solve the problem. They offer a select and you can get them unfinished [no varnish].

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I've never had a handle from anywhere slide right into my axe head without some fitting. Of course, a little is better than a lot smile

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Some heads ready to hang;

A maple-hafted hewer for a guy who makes a lot of mantles;

My daily-driver ball peen with mesquite handle.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T

This is the double-bit axe from the cabin I grew up in. Retired it without ever removing it from the haft.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T

Maybe the only hatchet in the world hung on manzanita. It's the worst wood possible for a tool handle, except as a looker -- gorgeous.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T

A double-bit "saddle axe" on olive wood;

My own spokeshave and drawknife;

Another head ready.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T

This is acacia wood. Trying to show how beautiful some of these local woods are. In some cases I actually dug the wood out of a dumpster; in others a local backyard sawmill salvaged the wood, then cut pieces off in the process of making larger work like slab tables, countertops, or mantles.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I got all excited, yard sale, axe with a "W"< something on it. Of course I grabbed it, it may have been Western. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Where do the Plumb brand axes, and hatchets fit it?

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Fit what?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Sorry, how do the Plumbs fit as to quality?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Beautiful work, Talus. You are a master of the craft.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thank you Simon!

Plumbs are good axes, one of the famous American brands. The Plumb National is fairly valuable. Plumb probably made axes for some big hardware chains, which sold them under their store name. Dunno if they ever had a USFS or Mil contract, but it would not surprise me. Actually the last axe off my bench was a Plumb double bit.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (219 Wasp, 300_savage, 2500HD, 270wsmnutt, 1badf350, 2ndwind, 51 invisible), 1,936 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,028
Posts18,520,872
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.