Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Pickled pigs feet from an old german recipie I found in my mothers books.
This has got to be good, I kid you not.

Clean and boil pigs feet until tender, make a strong salt brine with rock salt. Add bay leaves and whole Allspice. Cover pigs feet and let stand. If too salty when ready to use, soak in cold water.

Variation: use a vinegar solution made with salt and half vinegar and half water.

There were no times stated for curing of the brine or vinegar so I guess you are on your own on this one. I think I will give it a go this fall. I happen to like pickled pigs feet along with a bottle of cheap sparkling wine.

Bullwnkl.

Last edited by Bullwnkl; 07/18/07.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never had the feet. Is the meat similar to the hocks? Mmmm, red beans and hocks.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
It is kind of fatty with lots of small bones that you suck the meat off of and then spit the bone out. No smoke used as in hocks. Really pretty good especially if you find your self in a cemetary with a bottle or two of pigs feet and some cheap sparking wine, sitting on a head stone spitting pigs knuckle bones at the dead. You had to be there.

Bullwnkl.

Business as usual
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
you would win, if you bet that I would not eat one. smile

I might be a redneck, but I won't touch those red pickled eggs, sausages or pig feet.

Sam......

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Mann, didn't you just visit Germany? Ain't a kraut? Why do you think we drink all that yummy beer? (grins)
Nate Hoffmeier

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Picked pigs feet with saltines and Penrose sausages.

That be some fine eatin'.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I could never bring myself to eat trotters, just the idea of them standing in pig dookey all day makes my stomach turn..... sick

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
In a word...NASTY....

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
284 at least you know good eats when the rest of these guys are just too scared to try something different. I bet they eat things like hotdogs, and we know where that meat comes from or some of them eat chittlins and so forth.

Bullwnkl.

Business as usual
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have ate them, but find myself getting more hungry trying to get any meat off of em. I would let them set in brine for at least a couple of weeks before trying to eat. We just made some pickled eggs the other day with leftover brine from the pickles. You talk about some 'fire' starters. My wife hates me, as I got both of my boys eatin' them now.

CK

CK
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I could never bring myself to eat trotters, just the idea of them standing in pig dookey all day makes my stomach turn..... sick

9.5 LOL funny.......... trotters...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HawkI
Mann, didn't you just visit Germany? Ain't a kraut? Why do you think we drink all that yummy beer? (grins)
Nate Hoffmeier

yeah, and Germany was awesome. I loved the sausages, beer, 'kraut, potatos and all the rest. I did not see ANY Penrose brand red hot pickled sausages or pickled pig feet though. grin

....and yes, I have a lot of German blood in me as well, my family came over from Southern Bavaria in the 1700's.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Used to eat them with my grandpa when I was little kid. Good memories!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
My Grandma Irlmeier and I ate lots of "trotters", pickled baby corn, pickled eggs. My grandpa Hoffmeier's favorite eats was fried hog brains, they taste a little like cracklins. Pig meat, and salt makes the world go 'round! laugh

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
The day my grandmother died was the same day John Belushi died, he got all the press...go figgure. hat night my cousin and I went up to the cemetary where my grandfather was buried. I had with me a couple bottles of "trotters" and some cheap wine. One of gramps favorites was pickled pigs feet. So that night I introduced cousin Warren to pigs feet. I don't think he has done them since then but I have. Any way we sat on head stones spitting pig knuckle bones at one another and telling gramps thant grandma was on her way....that was quite the evening.

Bullwnkl.

Business as usual
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
just the idea of them standing in pig dookey all day makes my stomach turn.....

You could pickle the tails. Would be about the same thing. I don't know where you would get them, most of the comercial growers cut the tails off when the pigs are small. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great story and thanks for sharing it!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
you would win, if you bet that I would not eat one. smile

I might be a redneck, but I won't touch those red pickled eggs, sausages or pig feet.

You ain't no redneck, all of the above KICK AZZ! I likes 'em all, and so does my oldest, haven'tubjected the youngest to them yet, but that is because Momma won't let me. Hell, i even like Chitlin's, fried or boiled. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
I have ate them, but find myself getting more hungry trying to get any meat off of em. I would let them set in brine for at least a couple of weeks before trying to eat. We just made some pickled eggs the other day with leftover brine from the pickles. You talk about some 'fire' starters. My wife hates me, as I got both of my boys eatin' them now.

CK

CK, don't feel bad, I make pickled eggs for the daughter and me, my wife goes thru the friggin roof when we go fishing and thats what we take for our snack. The truck isn't safe fer a hitchhiker on the way home. grin

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Violator22
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer

CK

CK, don't feel bad, I make pickled eggs for the daughter and me, my wife goes thru the friggin roof when we go fishing and thats what we take for our snack. The truck isn't safe fer a hitchhiker on the way home. grin

I keep trying to blame the dogs, but the wife ain't buying it! whistle

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

294 members (10ring1, 12344mag, 257 mag, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 26 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,450
Posts18,528,884
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.