She'd like that one!
Maybe that's more common than I thought in that crowd. 😄

GB1

G
G23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
8 years of nuns or former nuns. One of the nuns I had also taught my dad.

G23

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
About a year ago, two nuns came into my office.

They looked so much alike dressed like they were and all.

So I just had to ask.

Are you two sisters???

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
My aunt is a nun. My catechism teachers all knew my dad, no fun at all.

Last edited by Mike_S; 12/03/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Now I honestly can say I know what it feels like to have Salmon Idaho Syndrome with respect to going your whole life and never seeing any or maybe only one negro.

It’s like that for me with catholics and nuns. There is just a void here. There is a catholic church in town. Just one in our city of 160,000.

Most around here are tater salad, pork chop Baptists.

Renegade50 is a roman catholic, according to his dog tags but man o man he has a potty mouth.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Bob & Tom have taken a whirl @ nuns over the years:

The nun song

Sister Joan, by Paul Gilmartin

30+ years ago somebody submitted a song to them called "Big Nun", sung to the song, "Big Bad John". I can't find that one.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
but man o man he has a potty mouth.

who would'a thought...LOL

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by slumlord
Now I honestly can say I know what it feels like to have Salmon Idaho Syndrome with respect to going your whole life and never seeing any or maybe only one negro.

It’s like that for me with catholics and nuns. There is just a void here. There is a catholic church in town. Just one in our city of 160,000.

Renegade50 is a roman catholic, according to his dog tags but man o man he has a potty mouth.

Catholics are some of the best cussers in the world. It’s our baseline for going to confession. Lol

He went over yonder way
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went to a Catholic grade school while I was in a Catholic orphanage run by nuns.

In my opinion, the dwindling of the number of nuns in the Church is one of the main reasons for the radicalization of Catholicism, and the drift away from the catechism of the Church.

Nuns, I explain to those who are unfamiliar with their role in the Church, are like Warrant Officers. Appointed by God and only and answerable really to God, no matter what the current or future Popes say.

They are the bedrock of the Church, and the bedrock has been shattered

Last edited by David_Walter; 12/03/20.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by BulletBud
... and 4 years of Jesuits (Loyola).

Recovering Catholic here. They never explained to us (or I didn't pay attention), what the hell the difference was between Jesuits, or Franciscans, or Dominicans, or whatever. Didn't make sense how they could have so many factions within what they claimed was the, "one true faith."

I always thought it was like, "Jets vs. Sharks", where they'd have Catholic gangland throwdowns. They should probably do that as a fundraiser!

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
I dated a nun.
She was a cool gal . One of my students.
She was pro 2A more than most hunters and soldiers.
BTW, she was no longer Catholic when we met.

She must have led someone down the narrow path and seen the light.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I went to a Catholic grade school while I was in a Catholic orphanage run by nuns.

In my opinion, the dwindling of the number of nuns in the Church is one of the main reasons for the radicalization of Catholicism, and the drift away from the catechism of the Church.

Nuns, I explain to those who are unfamiliar with their role in the Church, are like Warrant Officers. Appointed by God and only and answerable really to God, no matt what the current or future Popes say.

They are the bedrock of the Church, and the bedrock has been shattered

i agree to a point, but there have also been some well-publicized clashes between the Church and radical nun groups/orders

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Mike_S
My aunt is a nun. My catechism teachers all knew my dad, no fun at all.

I flunked catechism, once.
The
Sister Maria Luisa told my mom, I was daydreaming and not paying attention in class.
Then they found out I was functionally blind, and seated me up front, close to the blackboard - all my grades improved.
She told mom the reason she flunked me in catechism was, that grade wouldn't follow me all the way through school.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Heeler

Catholics are some of the best cussers in the world. It’s our baseline for going to confession. Lol

It's only words. I don't think the Bible forbids it, does it?

I spent many, many years in Catholic school. I had only a couple of nuns as teachers but they were some great people.

Last edited by Theeck; 12/03/20.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I'm surprised by this. I thought the Irish had infiltrated nearly every gene pool in the country. We are a prolific bunch. Then again, I have never spent any time in the deep south.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Brings to mind a incident with former department supervisor at a place I worked for many years. A coworker and myself were checking the weekend work roster to see if our names were on it. Coworker being a seriously religious Protestant.

Said supervisor walks up and ask us what we were looking for. Coworker says he was hoping he didn't have to work Sunday and was serious about his faith and wanted to attend church Sunday.

Supervisor responds with something like, 'Hell, I don't give a f**k, I go to f**king church when I f**king feel like it'.

Coworker looks at supervisor for a few seconds and then says, " bet you're a Catholic, aren't you...? Supervisor responds with, "Yea, I'm Catholic" ... Coworker says, "Figures...", then walks off shaking his head.

Supervisor looks at me quizzically and says, 'wonder what he meant by that'? I just did the hands up 'no idea' gesture and walked away too snickering to myself.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by joken2

Brings to mind a incident with former department supervisor at a place I worked for many years. A coworker and myself were checking the weekend work roster to see if our names were on it. Coworker being a seriously religious Protestant.

Said supervisor walks up and ask us what we were looking for. Coworker says he was hoping he didn't have to work Sunday and was serious about his faith and wanted to attend church Sunday.

Supervisor responds with something like, 'Hell, I don't give a f**k, I go to f**king church when I f**king feel like it'.

Coworker looks at supervisor for a few seconds and then says, " bet you're a Catholic, aren't you...? Supervisor responds with, "Yea, I'm Catholic" ... Coworker says, "Figures...", then walks off shaking his head.

Supervisor looks at me quizzically and says, 'wonder what he meant by that'? I just did the hands up 'no idea' gesture and walked away too snickering to myself.

I think Catholics are actually more strict about requiring church attendance. A lot of Catholic families have working class roots (Irish, Italians, Hispanics, etc.). Cussing is more the result of social class than religion.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had 8 years of nuns then 4 years all boys Catholic high school,one brother,the rest priests.they were tough all right.Still are,my youngest attends my old grammer school,the principal of her school was my first grade teacher.NOBODY messes with Sister C. , back then or now,lol.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I only had nun teachers during after-school catechism. They seemed okay. Bus picked us Catholic kids up from public school and drove us to catechism at a nearby Catholic church.

I know the definition of catechism is a book, but when I was a kid, it referred to the class where kids got Catholic instruction by nuns, typically at a Catholic church.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by superlight17b
I had 8 years of nuns then 4 years all boys Catholic high school,one brother,the rest priests.they were tough all right.Still are,my youngest attends my old grammer school,the principal of her school was my first grade teacher.NOBODY messes with Sister C. , back then or now,lol.

That's pretty similar to me. I am in the northeast as well. I also attended a catholic college.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 54 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,405
Posts18,470,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.