Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wife has the availability of a Ruger SR22.. 10+1 rounds can be helpful if TSHTF...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by TWR
I carry a 43c when I run and sometimes when I go to town in my running shorts. 8 shots of Winchester Power Points in a gun that I shoot well, doesn’t have me worried about being under gunned.

It’s better than a 45 in the truck console...

Awesome concept. Looks like a great little gun.

The S&W 43c weighs next to nothing, so it’s perfect under lightweight summertime clothing around the homestead.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Changed out the front sight and installed an 11 pound trigger return spring to gain some precision.

This time of year, with heavier clothing, the S&W 63 takes over, as it’s a bit easier to shoot well.

It too has sight mods (obviously) and an 11 pound trigger return spring installed.

Every day’s an adventure.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by jimmyp
JohnW's thread got me wondering about the future, I hope this is not a retarded question. However one begins to wonder with the scarcity of ammunition if some of the 22 long rifle pistols may soon be or already be carried by people with CCW's. The ruger LCR. G44 etc come to mind.

A determined attacker can be hard enough to put down with a proper centerfire cartridge.

Determined Attacker

I would hate to try to stop a crazy drugged up attacker with just a .22.

TRH wrote

[i]"Since merely producing a gun stops the majority of criminals, and the majority of defensive stops (i.e., from being hit by a bullet of any type) are psychological ("Oh crap, I've been shot!"), they can be enough in most cases.

For a few years, back in the 1990s, my only carry gun was a NAA Mini Revolver in .22 lr that I carried in my front pants pocket. Once, just putting my hand in that pocket and taking hold of the Mini Revolver was enough to turn back a determined approach by an unsavory looking character. He quite clearly noticed the move, and literally did a 180. Had he taken another step or two towards me, it would have been produced."
[/i]

This is essentially the "Talisman gun" concept.

If one wants to rely on hope and psychology as their plan for self defense, well that is one method. One thing to consider is that generally rational people are not the ones going around attacking others. It (from my observation and experience) tends to be people under the influence of narcotics, the severely mentally ill, or dedicated predators.

Often they do not respond in what one would consider a "normal manner" . Reasoning with them, threatening to shoot them, etc all often do not have what one would consider "typical" results. These are not "rational" people.

Quite obviously in TRHs scenario his "determined" bad guy must not have been very determined since merely putting his hand in his pocket was enough to cause him to flee.

Think about this. There are numerous videos online of people having larger centerfire handguns pointed at them (versus small talisman .22s like the NAA mini revolver). That did not work. Those people then had to be shot. That still did not immediately stop their aggressive action, so they had to be shot again. And again. The mere action of pointing the talisman did not work. Shooting them did not provided instant incapacitation. They had to be brought down through CNS failure or eventually leaking enough body fluids that they stopped their aggressive actions. With every breath in their bodies, they were determined to fight. Some people are simply wired like that.

That is why I don't recommend relying on "hope" as a strategy.

chicago knife attack not instantly stopped

A question I sometimes ask people when this topic comes up is "what is the smallest caliber/gun combo that you would be willing to get into a gunfight with"? This is usually in reference to concealed carry type guns. If they knew they were going to get into a gunfight that day, with one or two armed attackers, what handgun would they carry? Is that a J Frame .38, a Glock 19, a 1911, a Model 13 .357 mag?

Whatever their answer is, is what I tell them that they should be carrying as a concealed carry gun (within reason).

While I do carry a .22 for fun while in the field, small game hunting, etc, and would use it if I had no other options, or had a specific mission requirement, I would not choose a .22 over a modern 9mm, .38 Special or .45 acp intentionally .

I load in bulk, so even with shortages of some components that are happening, I simply load up heavy duty animal defense type loads and use them as all around personal/vehicle/animal defense loads and call it good.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I figure if these hard cast 148 grain hard cast flat points are good enough to carry against large animals, they might work for my needs.

I will continue to use my .22s for ground squirrel safaris and such.

Alukbans J Frame with the red dot looks like it would be a blast for small game hunting BTW.

Cheers

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Which is why, by the late 1990s, I was carrying only full sized handguns in serious manstopping calibers. Haven't gone back to anything less, other than on super rare occasions where I carry a pocket auto only (.32 or .380 ACP), such as when I have a doctor's appointment.

That said, a .22 (as was my point earlier) can actually be sufficient in most self-defense situations.

PS Actually, the talisman outlook to carrying a handgun has nothing to do with what you've stated. It's the viewpoint that merely carrying a gun will be sufficient in all cases to keep you safe, even absent any practice or preplanning for making it maximally effective in the way it's brought into action. In other wards, it's depended on almost like it was a lucky charm.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
JohnW's thread got me wondering about the future, I hope this is not a retarded question. However one begins to wonder with the scarcity of ammunition if some of the 22 long rifle pistols may soon be or already be carried by people with CCW's. The ruger LCR. G44 etc come to mind.

Before relying on the 22 for personal protection, I'd pony up for at least a box of 50, of 9mm, 40, 45, 357 etc, in a sensible defense load, and carry that.

I generally like to keep a couple hundred 'carry' rounds available. For now that is Hornady Critical Duty 9mm 135gr +P. I usually change that ammo out after a couple years, but in thin times, it can be fine for many years.

Then I can fall back on ball, or reloads if things really get bad, and stay that way for extended period of time.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Several .22LR are already carried by relatives and acquaintances..It surely wouldn't be my choice but a 6" semi auto could work.

My oldest daughter thinks she is well armed for most things with a 4" 9-shot .22LR Taurus loaded with Velociters. So does her ex-hubby. Some wives have thm as well. One guy I have known for 30 years or so only has a SS 4" Rossi, he uses it for way bigger stuff than I would.

A buddies wife just bought a .22lr LCP and loves it.

One hunting buddy who was a government trapper and predator control agent for over forty years uses a K-22 6inch except for treed bears and cougars.

Me? If I carry a rimfire revolver afield for general use it is a .22 Mag, for sage rats, my M-63 gets the duty.. I would have little doubt it would serve for defense though not my first choice. I do carry .22LR semis. Usually a .22/45 with a scope or red dot.

I have bigger weapons for defensive use.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Always love to read your posts - the info is solid and I know comes from real-world experience... Thanks for all that..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks MacKay.. Redneck said what I wanted to say.. Keep with us.. Sure enjoy your posts..

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have tendency to listen to whatever Sagebrush has to say. I hope I never get to old to learn something new.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

No. I read .22 handguns are often used by professional assassins. One of the preferred guns was Beretta Model 70 with high quality subsonic ammo. This would make sense because they are the ones controlling the events not the poor victim.
I use 9x19 for defense use. It is loaded with 124gr JHP ammo unless I am in the wilderness then 147gr flat nose fmjs are carried. Thankfully there is no ammo shortage, therefore, I do not have to pick Kiddo .22 for defensive carry. If you are unfortunate enough to rely on .22LR at least choose target grade ammo that way you will reduce chances of having dud(s).

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Slavek

No. I read .22 handguns are often used by professional assassins. One of the preferred guns was Beretta Model 70 with high quality subsonic ammo. This would make sense because they are the ones controlling the events not the poor victim.

I'd say few possess the skills of Mordechai Rachamim. I'll stick to my .45 (and I still wouldn't take on guys with AK's and RPG's)

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by Slavek

I'd say few possess the skills of Mordechai Rachamim. I'll stick to my .45 (and I still wouldn't take on guys with AK's and RPG's)

If I had to do it over my choice would be .40S&W. It can be made into gun almost as small as 9x19, ammo less expensive than .45ACP and no confusion picking the right load it being 180gr JHP at 1050+/-50fps.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Redneck
Wife has the availability of a Ruger SR22.. 10+1 rounds can be helpful if TSHTF...

My wife carries same.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Killed many critters with .22 lr handguns and rifles. I've seen most everything I've shot with a cci stinger die nearly instantly if shot was placed well. Never shot a man, and hope I never have to. I believe a .22 placed center of breast pockets would kill no problem. I've carried a .22, a .45 acp, 9mm, .38 special , 32 S&W , .380 acp. I've settled in with a .380 I really like. Probably carry it til I'm dead & buried.

Romans 5:1
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Originally Posted by TWR
I carry a 43c when I run and sometimes when I go to town in my running shorts. 8 shots of Winchester Power Points in a gun that I shoot well, doesn’t have me worried about being under gunned.

The S&W 43c weighs next to nothing, so it’s perfect under lightweight summertime clothing around the homestead.

Changed out the front sight and installed an 11 pound trigger return spring to gain some precision.

This time of year, with heavier clothing, the S&W 63 takes over, as it’s a bit easier to shoot well.

It too has sight mods (obviously) and an 11 pound trigger return spring installed.

A person with your level of marksmanship is very rare, I only wish my eyes were still sharp enough to shoot that well. I don’t think I’ve seen off hand groups that good out of a 2” J frame. Lordy....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mackay Sagebrush " ... That is why I don't recommend relying on "hope" as a strategy. ..."

Many years ago, a good friend of mine who was a longtime Los Angeles Sheriff's Dept. Homicide detective told me, "Hope is a very poor survival plan." Sounded wise to me then; still does. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
You had better listen to Mackay.. Been there done that.. I have shot lots of stuff with a .22 also, but not under stress ..

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JB in SC
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Originally Posted by TWR

A person with your level of marksmanship is very rare, I only wish my eyes were still sharp enough to shoot that well. I don’t think I’ve seen off hand groups that good out of a 2” J frame. Lordy....

Thanks for your kind words, JB. But, I too have reached the age where some days are better than others. Of course, it’s the better days which result in photos.

When I wander further than just the woods around the house, the little guys stay home and larger guys go along,

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (12344mag, 222ND, 270wsmnutt, 44mc, 160user, 1936M71, 23 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,646
Posts18,533,755
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.