Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by bwinters
I use it alot and in conjunction with a traditional GPS. My only issue with OnX is the lack of a good "GoTo" feature in OnX. OnX has that function but it sucks in my use/experience if you are wanting to go to an exact point. In many areas in the west, in open terrain, close enough is good enough. In other areas I hunt, navigating through dense woods, cleacut, swamp, hitting a precise spot is fairly important and way more efficient than thrashing around a clearcut/thicket/swamp.

OnX has been a game changer for hunting private land borders and I find the combo terrain and terrain with topo line overlay very useful when navigating.

At $60/year, it is worth every penny.

Track your route and save your tracks.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by erich
I've been using a 10 state chip in my truck for coyote hunting, when I went to get an update the company decided to close their business up as it was too time consuming to keep the chips updated. While I'll get a few more years out of the chip. I did try the OnX as a free trial when a friend sent me some coordinates to meet him at for a coyote hunt. I liked it on the computer. I need to look into seeing if they have a chip for the Garmin GPS as both my truck and MC are set up for them for coyote hunting.
Yes they do. I have one in a Garmin GPS. It doesn't look the same as the phone app, though. It can also be used in a car's GPS if it has a slot for a micro SD chip. It works ok in a car but it's not exceptional.

I have the app and find it to be a great tool. I also run the chip in the Garmin in my pickup. I wish I would've (would of for the morons) had this decades ago. It is so simple to find and identify public land or the boundaries of private land on which I have permission to hunt. It makes my coyote hunting much more productive.

In case the homunculus from Alaska is reading this, yes, I know, I made it all up.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I use it alot and in conjunction with a traditional GPS. My only issue with OnX is the lack of a good "GoTo" feature in OnX. OnX has that function but it sucks in my use/experience if you are wanting to go to an exact point. In many areas in the west, in open terrain, close enough is good enough. In other areas I hunt, navigating through dense woods, cleacut, swamp, hitting a precise spot is fairly important and way more efficient than thrashing around a clearcut/thicket/swamp.

OnX has been a game changer for hunting private land borders and I find the combo terrain and terrain with topo line overlay very useful when navigating.

The go-to works fine. You need to set a waypoint at the point you want to go to. If your phone or gps doesn't allow you to set one just anywhere, you can do this by setting one where you are then moving it to where you want to go. I used mine last week to get my UTV to an elk I'd shot out in sagebrush where everything looks the same. I drove right to it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Another option is plan your route and use the line distance feature to plot a course and save it.

Originally Posted by GregW

Track your route and save your tracks.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Don't trust the weather part of it! lol
[Linked Image]

IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That’s a little on the frosty side.

Might need another layer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM
That’s a little on the frosty side.

Might need another layer.

What, no comment about the barometric pressure symbology? grin

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Didn’t want to horn Tiny up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from thumbs.gfycat.com]

But can the wind even blow at -3277?

Is that barometric dick gluten free?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Only at BJ Ranches.

IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You should have never brought that up. That poor basterd will be running all over Alaska looking for BJ Ranch.

Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Only at BJ Ranches.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Madness. There's a method to it.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My phone is dying, so I plan to get a new one before too long. When I do that I may take you up on that. I still have your number.

My other issue with using the phone app is the $1,000 worth of OnX GPS chips that I have for several states...I wonder if OnX have any kind of a program to buy those back for those going to the phone app??? I guess I could drive to town and ask. They're headquartered 25 miles from where I am right now.

Hey TinCock, I'm sure others will respond if I'm wrong but my $100/year membership gives all the updated maps for the phone and I can update the chips on my Garmin Montana.

The iPhone 10 is close on corners but my Montana is much more exact.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JbendoVER, thanks for that info.

So, you carry both your Montana GPS with a chip and your phone with the app, or do you carry the Montana when needing exact property or unit boundaries and the phone when you're not needing that kind of detail? I am trying to cut down the amount of crap I have and would like one or the other....and don't really want to throw away $1,000 worth of chips that I already have.

Now, drop and shine my knob at the world famous BJ Ranch.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Tiny, unfortunately I usually have 2 devices with me now. A couple years ago I got the 66i due to Wildchild getting in a car accident and the wife and I being out of phone service. Talked to a few people that had sink issues between the Inreach mini and their phone so went with the 66i. If I’m in an area I know has decent phone service the 66 stays in the truck.

I will say the Garmin hunt chip on the 66i is much more accurate than the Onyx chip when it comes to topo in some areas, but the Onx is better/easier for land status.

If I had to chose only one, I would probably go with the 66 and an Onx chip for the communication peace of mind, but keep Onx for the research/scouting on the IPad.

Guess it’s a long way of saying I haven’t found the perfect one device yet.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
JbendoVER, thanks for that info.

So, you carry both your Montana GPS with a chip and your phone with the app, or do you carry the Montana when needing exact property or unit boundaries and the phone when you're not needing that kind of detail? I am trying to cut down the amount of crap I have and would like one or the other....and don't really want to throw away $1,000 worth of chips that I already have.

Now, drop and shine my knob at the world famous BJ Ranch.
My Montana is also more accurate than my Motorola phone. However, the phone is plenty accurate enough for everything I do in the field. My wife and I played around with geocaching a little and found the Garmin considerably better for that but most of the time it stays home. I just carry the phone. The difference is 3' vs maybe 10 to 20' in accuracy. The difference is in the the phone vs the Garmin, not in the chip vs the app.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fantastic Ap. Third year now with OnX and it’s changed the game for me hunting the mountains around here.

Yup.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I used it but the property lines that it gives are not always reliable. I have land and it puts the property lines in the wrong places. In fact, for quite a while, it was showing that I owned another tract of about 25 acres down the road that was clearly not mine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Found out it also works good for measuring an area to see acreage for seed or fertilizer for food plots.

It isn't 100% accurate on property lines but close, its within 10-15' of the survey pins on my property/

Last edited by DANNYL; 12/03/20.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
As handy as a shirt pocket.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (1_deuce, 260madman, 1minute, 160user, 21, 222Sako, 53 invisible), 2,538 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,856
Posts18,478,527
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.