Print Thread
Hop To
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
now that electric trucks seems to be on the horizon what about battery powered hedge trimmers?

what brands have the best combination of power, price and reliability?

don't need anything gold or silver plated or high-priced green.

do need something that will trim privit, & hollies.

price pwer & reliability, anything else?

tell me what to buy and i will.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Maybe get the brand you already have batteries for.

For me, everything I buy is Dewalt because I've got $700 worth of their batteries.

G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
actually besides being a luddite, i don't have any electric battery stuff in the way of tools at all. electric plug in drills are in the cabinet.

it sounds like i should think of a systems approach. i already have a stihl gas powered saw.

lot's of combi-tools out there - interchangeable batteries/power heads.

i'm just getting started on battery power. hedge trimmers now.

electric pruning saws to come, for dead limbs.

$700 worth of batteries in inventory?

have a BAR for less money.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Actually it's probably more than $700. It's the new Dewalt 60v stuff.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just bought the EGO brand this summer, then added the weed eater and leaf blower. I would buy them all over in a heart beat.

IC B2

G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
i want to put my toe in the pond with a hedge trimmer. i have the manual hedge whackers. getting too old to run such technology.

don't want no more hard to start gas powered stuff, what with the awful gasoline issues that can rear their ugly head.

so, am shopping for an electric hedge trimmer. i'm speaking of battery powered, not electric cord stuff.

what about the threesome of price, reliability and power. the color of the paint isn't important.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have bought the top of the line from Lowes, the Kobalt 80v, in a lawn mower and leaf blower. These machines kick ass!
And I bet the Kobalt 80 v trimmer will get the job done.

Gus, I feel your pain. I am also a Luddite and it is tough sledding these days trying to reject the use of new technology.

In fact, I am not just a Luddite but also a Neanderthal. DNA testing at 23andme.com has proven that I hold 3 percent Neanderthal DNA, some of the highest ever tested for.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here is a picture of my family in the cave in December, in Scotland in 43,536 BC. I am the little kid at the right front.
We had such a wonderful Christmas that year.

G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I have bought the top of the line from Lowes, the Kobalt 80v, in a lawn mower and leaf blower. These machines kick ass!
And I bet the Kobalt 80 v trimmer will get the job done.

Gus, I feel your pain. I am also a Luddite and it is tough sledding these days trying to reject the use of new technology.

do you have a base case cost estimate for the kobalt product? ball park, i know prices vary.

yep, i still split my wood with a maul. might have to back down to hammer & wedges.

all modern people either own, borrow, or rent gas-powered wood splitters.

as i get older, my internal horsepower seems to be waning.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Our son has a battery powered 20 volt Black & Decker "V Max" hedge trimmer w/22" bar that has done a good job for the occasional trimming back and shaping as needed. He trimmed back and shaped up our big Knockout rose hedge with it a while back and it did as good of a job as a more expensive trimmer would have. That hedge has some pretty thick branches and sharp thorns too and it never struggled, jammed or ran out of battery. Battery and trimmer both run around $100 +/-.

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER...B00AZW9Y96/ref=psdc_553938_t3_B00602J4MM

Last edited by joken2; 12/03/20. Reason: added Link
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
[quote=joken2]
Our son has a battery powered 20 volt Black & Decker "V Max" hedge trimmer w/22" bar that has done a good job for the occasional trimming back and shaping as needed. He trimmed back and shaped up our big Knockout rose hedge with it a while back and it did as good of a job as a more expensive trimmer would have. That hedge has some pretty thick branches and sharp thorns too and it never struggled, jammed or ran out of battery. Battery and trimmer both run around $100 +/-.

uote]

thanks. that's the kind of price and power a man can sink his teeth into.

the shrubbery in my yard needs a good trim.

kids for xmas. they want to see civility.

and bg, i intend to comply.

w/voles, wood rats, etc.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Gus
[quote=joken2]

uote]

thanks. that's the kind of price and power a man can sink his teeth into.

the shrubbery in my yard needs a good trim.

kids for xmas. they want to see civility.

and bg, i intend to comply.

w/voles, wood rats, etc.

It's available in a 40 volt too for not much more money. Another plus of using the same brand / volt battery powered tools is they can usually all be powered by the same batteries, so a spare battery or two should keep you running for years. All our son's battery powered tools use the same two batteries and charger that came with the first same brand tool we bought him as part of his Christmas about ten years ago.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use a Makita 2 x18 volt and it is fantastic

K
K_P Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
I just bought the EGO brand this summer, then added the weed eater and leaf blower. I would buy them all over in a heart beat.

X2. That leaf blower has recoil! You can buy the pair (shared battery and charger) for $280 on Amazon.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gus, I know you said no cords, but take a cue from the rental places and see what they use. I have about 20 of those Japanese yew bushes and they get trimmed every year, but over the years they have gotten bigger and bigger. I started out with the rented gasoline powered trimmers because I thought that the electrics just wouldn’t have the power. The 24” bars weren’t long enough and then I saw a 30” bar Little Wonder on the rental shelf. Corded sure, but lighter and quieter than gas and faster too. I rented that one for a few years and one day it was on their used rack, so I bought it real reasonable. I’ve never had good luck with battery powered tools that needed to do a lot of work. I have the cords, but not the batteries. Those rentals only cost less than $20.00 for half a day and that might be something to look into before you buy.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1badf350, 1minute, 160user, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 52 invisible), 2,538 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,337
Posts18,487,680
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.