Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by KFWA
was looking at some land in Pendleton County this weekend. Turned down a road that went along the licking river. Counted 11 deer in a 3 mile stretch

Hayes or KY22? When SIL had alfalfa on our farm, had a couple instances where it looked like a conga line of deer working their way up the field toward our house. One evening, had 20 that I could count.

If you make back down this way, ping me. We'll grab a coffee and tailgate somewhere...

The road was called Milford Road. right off 22. I noticed there was a place called B&B Deer Processing just down a bit from it. Not sure I'll make it down again anytime soon, but I am going to focus more on the area north west of Falmouth between there and Alexandria. Maybe I'll be a neighbor in the near future.

Last edited by KFWA; 12/03/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Eastern Ky is clannish and territorial. Don’t mess with bubba in bubbas back yard.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some thoughts for you to consider. I’ve deer hunted on our family farm in Whitley Co (Zone #4) for the last 25 years when my Grandfather Fred deemed there were enough deer to do so.

E-KY is a really varied terrain, from very steep wooded to some nice rolling hills and everything in between. Where strip mining has been reclaimed properly it’s great habitat and where it’s been done poorly it’s a mess. Ours was done in the early 70’s and was done very well. The lake in my pic below was dug for the mining operation.

The deer population has really decreased. Two significant episodes of Hemorrhagic Disease (blue tongue) in a short period (<5 years) and a huge increase in coyotes killing fawns has been the key drivers in our area to decreased deer. 10 years ago, seeing several bucks a day and herds of 4-8 does were common. Not anymore. That being said, there are bucks and hard hunting will get you good ones.

In zone #4 you’re restricted to one buck and then one additional doe the last week of late muzzleloader. For that pleasure the state will extract $335 from you. Perhaps worth it in W-KY with more generous limits but IMO they have gone off to absurd in this and paying taxes on land in KY doesn’t matter. You still get to buy a non-resident license (or not). As comparison, it looks like a non-resident MI license will set you back $171. Is this a massive expense in comparison to others? No. But it shows a significant ass-raping of non-residents that irks me as someone paying property taxes.

There are some really great people in Eastern Kentucky. Then there are a significant set of the population who believe “what’s mine is mine and what’s yours is mine if I can get my hands on it”. My cousin lives in the house on our place and we believe, despite his denials, that he lends the key to the front and lake gates to non-family, they then they feel free to make copies and pass around. They have stolen every piece of metal, including the tractor rim we used as a fire ring, heck they even stole our stacked and covered firewood in October for we had set up for deer camp.

With this in mind, if you build a camp it will get burglarized, it will get squatted in, it will get vandalized, it will get meth cooked in it and eventually it will get burned down either accidently or on purpose and no one, public official or not, will care because you’re not from there. If you decided to buy, I’d go with a small piece of property abutting Daniel Boone National Forest, put in an outhouse and go with a wall tent. The weather during deer season is rarely bad enough that even a nylon wall tent with a wood stove isn’t just fine and usually darn pleasant. Storage units are plentiful and cheap. We pay $300 a year for a 6’x10’ that holds all our camping gear. We used to store it in the barn next to the house but the locals decided they wanted that stuff too.

Some pics from our place.

We own to the top of the hill (right at 1000 acres to hunt between our 680 and my Uncle and Aunt's landlocked places)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

CF member Roof

Picture I took just east of our place a couple years ago flying down.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This is what mining reclaimed done right looks like

This is close to the the same place in 1971 looking a little to the north.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Dooger
I live in the Yoop and quit hunting it around 2015. Does that tell you anything? Even then, I was only half heartedly hunting it since 2005. Not good hunting at all. Numbers have decreased substantially in the past 10 years. The goofs around here shoot every 1 1/2 year old buck they see too...even going back 20 years. Some big woods areas have less than 1 deer per square mile.

That seems to be the way in areas with low numbers in a lot of states. Antler restrictions don't apply in a lot of the big woods areas and the hunters shoot young bucks because they are unlikely to get a chance at anything else. I can understand that but a few years with antler restrictions might change the number of mature bucks around. Still, I have managed to shoot a couple of mature bucks in areas without antler restrictions (an a bunch of younger ones too, I'm no hero).

As for the difficulty, anyone can got to a Texas ranch and shoot a buck. I like the challenge of hunting difficult areas.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Pugs
Some thoughts for you to consider. I’ve deer hunted on our family farm in Whitley Co (Zone #4) for the last 25 years when my Grandfather Fred deemed there were enough deer to do so.

E-KY is a really varied terrain, from very steep wooded to some nice rolling hills and everything in between. Where strip mining has been reclaimed properly it’s great habitat and where it’s been done poorly it’s a mess. Ours was done in the early 70’s and was done very well. The lake in my pic below was dug for the mining operation.

The deer population has really decreased. Two significant episodes of Hemorrhagic Disease (blue tongue) in a short period (<5 years) and a huge increase in coyotes killing fawns has been the key drivers in our area to decreased deer. 10 years ago, seeing several bucks a day and herds of 4-8 does were common. Not anymore. That being said, there are bucks and hard hunting will get you good ones.

In zone #4 you’re restricted to one buck and then one additional doe the last week of late muzzleloader. For that pleasure the state will extract $335 from you. Perhaps worth it in W-KY with more generous limits but IMO they have gone off to absurd in this and paying taxes on land in KY doesn’t matter. You still get to buy a non-resident license (or not). As comparison, it looks like a non-resident MI license will set you back $171. Is this a massive expense in comparison to others? No. But it shows a significant ass-raping of non-residents that irks me as someone paying property taxes.

There are some really great people in Eastern Kentucky. Then there are a significant set of the population who believe “what’s mine is mine and what’s yours is mine if I can get my hands on it”. My cousin lives in the house on our place and we believe, despite his denials, that he lends the key to the front and lake gates to non-family, they then they feel free to make copies and pass around. They have stolen every piece of metal, including the tractor rim we used as a fire ring, heck they even stole our stacked and covered firewood in October for we had set up for deer camp.

With this in mind, if you build a camp it will get burglarized, it will get squatted in, it will get vandalized, it will get meth cooked in it and eventually it will get burned down either accidently or on purpose and no one, public official or not, will care because you’re not from there. If you decided to buy, I’d go with a small piece of property abutting Daniel Boone National Forest, put in an outhouse and go with a wall tent. The weather during deer season is rarely bad enough that even a nylon wall tent with a wood stove isn’t just fine and usually darn pleasant. Storage units are plentiful and cheap. We pay $300 a year for a 6’x10’ that holds all our camping gear. We used to store it in the barn next to the house but the locals decided they wanted that stuff too.

What about poaching and hunter trespass? Is that a problem?

Last edited by OldHat; 12/03/20.
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by IZH27
Eastern Ky is clannish and territorial. Don’t mess with bubba in bubbas back yard.

Yeah, that's what I am gathering. I see there is a nice 150 acre plot of woods at the top of a hollow but that has several homesteads in the hollow. I suspect I would have issues with the neighbors if I were to buy it because they'd see me go by when I was there and they probably have been hunting it for generations. If I posted it, I am sure I would be considered an enemy. I might be either way with my Yankee accent. I'm not ready to buy yet but neighbor disputes will be a concern if I do buy land. I have 130 acres in New England and have had some neighbor issues but not too many.

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T

This is what mining reclaimed done right looks like

This is close to the the same place in 1971 looking a little to the north.

Very cool, Pugs, and thanks for the info. Our family a property in the Pennsylvania Appalachians. My parents (city folk) bought it over 50 years ago. For the first couple decades the locals were pretty standoffish and we had burglaries and tree thefts. We lost a washer, a dryer, a tractor and other items. In the past 25 years, we haven't really had any problems. I think the locals know who we are and the territorial ones have aged out. We are on friendly terms with some of the old timers. Also, we get up there much more often these days (some family member is there almost every weekend) since I have a number of siblings and the road improvements have made the ride a lot shorter.

Your family's property looks awesome. I like the wall tent idea. I used a tent the first couple years that I owned my property out of state (not the one in Pennsylvania that was burglarized 3 times). I had a very small cabin built but nothing fancy. In the 16 years since it was built I haven't had a problem but that could certainly happen. I am on pretty good term with my neighbor whom I allow to hunt on my land. He lives on the adjoining 100+ acres and keeps an eye on things. If I buy another property, I will probably build a basic little stick-building without electric or water. I'll leave it unlocked (rather than have break ins) and bring a tent as backup. I'm talking about something about on par with a storage shed.

Last edited by Theeck; 12/03/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OldHat

Less than it used to be. Perhaps associated with the decrease in deer but there was an old cemetery over one ridge that people used to come in over and they have built some houses there. My cousin went over just to see if there were any cars there this year and someone came out and fired a pistol into the air to scare him off... A LOT of chickens, suspect its a cock fighting outfit.

I did find two kick feeders up on the hill but no evidence that they had been used. Cut them down. The camera my cousin has up showed no one unexpected up the road for a month prior to season.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Neighbor issues are common. The older people assume right to hunt simply because that’s the way they grew up and Kentucky was much more sparely populated back then. I’m thinking of my dads generation. He was born in 38. People put food on the table small game hinting back then.

There is a general mentality of entitlement in the younger generations. Your Ginseng is my ginseng. Some of this is held over from the older guys but a lot of it now is just a defiant attitude that people are just gonna do what they want to do no matter what. I’m sure that some areas of the state offer a little more recourse but it’s not likely to addressed by law enforcement in the mountains. Like Theek said, a lot of petty thievery that goes on unchecked.

Then there are the guys brewing and growing things that they need to protect. A friend works for the state and as to go into the mountains to maintain state equipment. He’s been pushed off the mountain before by locals hot on his tail.

If you’re “from off” you won’t find any friends and very little sympathy.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The MI DNR dang near closed deer season in the U.P. in 2016. Wish they would have for a couple years. Some areas are worse off now than they were in 2016. It would have most likely increased our age structure and actually put deer sign back in our woods.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Some pics from our place.

We own to the top of the hill (right at 1000 acres to hunt between our 680 and my Uncle and Aunt's landlocked places)

CF member Roof

Picture I took just east of our place a couple years ago flying down.

nice photos

good thing you have the enclosure and big wood stove, it must drop to 50-60 deg at night down there...LOL

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sse

nice photos

good thing you have the enclosure and big wood stove, it must drop to 50-60 deg at night down there...LOL

grin nights during deer season usually get to the 30s but you’re right days are often the 60s. Rare for it to be too bad for more than a day or two.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Orion2000
was looking at some land in Pendleton County this weekend. Turned down a road that went along the licking river. Counted 11 deer in a 3 mile stretch

Hayes or KY22? When SIL had alfalfa on our farm, had a couple instances where it looked like a conga line of deer working their way up the field toward our house. One evening, had 20 that I could count.

If you make back down this way, ping me. We'll grab a coffee and tailgate somewhere...

The road was called Milford Road. right off 22. I noticed there was a place called B&B Deer Processing just down a bit from it. Not sure I'll make it down again anytime soon, but I am going to focus more on the area north west of Falmouth between there and Alexandria. Maybe I'll be a neighbor in the near future.

If you were on Milford Road, you were headed in the general direction of Shaman's place and in prime deer territory. You probably passed within a couple miles of the deer camp I referred to earlier. I'm on the South West side of the county, near Morgan.

If you are looking at proximity to SW Ohio, like possibly commuting, northern Pendleton County would definitely be better. Demossville, Grassy Creek, Piner have access up 17 to Walton to get on I-75N. Gardnersville and Knoxville have easy access to Dry Ridge. Southern Kenton County: Morning View, Kenton Station, Visalia have easy access up 177 to 27 or 275. KY 177 in Southern Kenton County follows the river, so, should have some decent hunting as well. Good luck with your search !

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Theeck
Originally Posted by BWalker
I lived in the UP for 20 years. The deer hunting is worse than terrible and rifle season is over ran with people.
You also have to understand that one early november snow storm can push the deer 50 miles away and you wont see a single thing during rifle season.

I find that last part hard to believe.

It has happened to me several times while living there. It depends greatly on where you are at and where the deer winter as to how far they go, but you can be certain that a big storm will drive them into their winter range.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Theeck
Originally Posted by tzone
The "too many wolves" is usually used by people that can't hunt.
What are the wolves there to eat?

I think there is probably some truth to this statement. But in fairness, the home range of a wolf pack is a lot larger than that of a normal human hunter. If there are no deer in a particular 1000 acre portion of a wolf pack's home range it is not a big deal since they may have a range of 100,000 acres. If a human only hunts that 1000 acres, he would still be out of luck.

Overall, though, I think wolves make a dent but don't eat enough deer to ruin hunting in most places. We get a lot of coyote depredation and there are always deer that survive.

High wolf numbers, high bear numbers, mountain lions, long winters and extreme hunting pressure for three months straight. Got the picture?
On top of that logging practices have changed from mostly clear cutting to more select cutting which hurts deer. The winter yards are browsed out in most places and nothing is being done to correct that.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by BobBrown
If you stay in KY longer than 48 hours, your IQ will drop significantly

Yeah, you're right, so stay away, we have very few deer and the ones we have are diseased and scrawny. If you go into the woods you might get anal raped by somebody with a banjo. All of the stereotypes are true, so don't come here to hunt or our cousin/brother/uncle will think your mouth is purdy.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Old School deer hunting. This guy lived 20 minutes from me.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to hunt near Watersmeet and Berglund in MI. Finding food was always the key and we did not bait like many, we did however hunt travel routes from bedding areas to remote lakes where the owners of cabins were feeding. Overall numbers of deer would not warrant us returning compared to other States. I think Kentucky would be a more enjoyable hunt if it was not significantly expensive. I did shoot a buck with bow one year and he died on the road leaning on the snowbank, we found him right before the snowplow came through.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by OldHat

Less than it used to be. Perhaps associated with the decrease in deer but there was an old cemetery over one ridge that people used to come in over and they have built some houses there. My cousin went over just to see if there were any cars there this year and someone came out and fired a pistol into the air to scare him off... A LOT of chickens, suspect its a cock fighting outfit.

I did find two kick feeders up on the hill but no evidence that they had been used. Cut them down. The camera my cousin has up showed no one unexpected up the road for a month prior to season.

Sounds like the hillbilly hell I envision when talking about Kentucky.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10gaugeman, 22250rem, 06hunter59, 1minute, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,645 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,915
Posts18,498,329
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.