Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
And your answer is?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
No they aren't the same. For one difference the PSS got production line hammer forged barrels. The 40X rifles got button rifled, lapped barrels.

The 40X also had the 40X externally adjustable trigger. The PSS got the regular 700 trigger at least until until the XMark era.

Last edited by mathman; 12/04/20.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have one of each, with the PSS in .223 and the 40x in 308. Both hit what I'm aiming at ,even using Leopold's.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Thank you mathman.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have the shorty version, an LTR. It shoots very well.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That's just an ADL stainless that someone put in that stock.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I read on here that no matter what gun you have or scope is used, chances are you must some sort of dummy.

Only thing I go buy is that I can still hit anything I want to and still take a few bucks off my grandson when we are shooting prairie poodles.

The little chit is getting damn good however.

W. Bill

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Date code not right unless it was sent in for trigger replacement, X Mark Pro wasn't even dreamed of in '94.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Smooth stainless like the original Remington stainless rifles or does it have that rough ass stainless finish?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
How well does the barrel fit in the inlet of the stock? If I had to take a wild guess, this could be an early SPS Stainless 700 which did have a sporter contour 24" barrel. Like already mentioned the Gander Mtn Guide which was stainless and the blued version which was sold at Cabelas all had 22" barrels for their short actions. Basically the Mtn Guide was a special run Mtn rifle in a 1st Gen Ti stock. I've had a couple and foolishly sold both of them.

Its possible someone took a Ti stock inlet for one of the SAUM Ti rifles which has a heavier contour barrel, thats why I asked about the fit. I had one of those stocks on a 7MM-08 and fit was pretty good, the barrel channel didn't need any work to fit.

Regardless of what it is - its a nice rifle. It has the makings for the perfect "faux Ti" with just a barrel chop to 22" and a Ti flute on the bolt.

Hey Frank, I appreciate your input. Here are a couple of pictures of the of the barrel channel, and, to answer 10gaugemag's question, the brushed stainless finish.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Date code not right unless it was sent in for trigger replacement, X Mark Pro wasn't even dreamed of in '94.

As I stated in one of my posts up above.
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Here's a picture of the trigger. I'm not an expert; but, I think the X-mark Pro trigger came out around 2007 or 2008. I believe this one to be an X-mark Pro Adjustable which would mean at least the trigger is post 2009. And to answer your question HC, if memory serves me correctly, the outside diameter at the muzzle was something like .66 or .67.

I did talk to the original seller today and he does state that he put the X-mark Pro trigger in because it had a crappy trigger. I guess out of the frying pan and into the fire so to speak.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I have nine rifles from the custom shop ranging from.22 rimfire to .375 H&H and a couple have “Remington Custom Shop, Illion, N.Y.” stamped on the top of the barrel about halfway to the muzzle. A couple have the assembly codes on the left side of the barrel just in front of the recoil lug and the proof marks and magnaflux stamps on the right side; most don’t have them. The chambering stamp is in different fonts on different rifles and is stamped within 3” or so forward of the recoil lug. None have the “warning” stamps.

Last edited by navlav8r; 12/04/20.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
How well does the barrel fit in the inlet of the stock? If I had to take a wild guess, this could be an early SPS Stainless 700 which did have a sporter contour 24" barrel. Like already mentioned the Gander Mtn Guide which was stainless and the blued version which was sold at Cabelas all had 22" barrels for their short actions. Basically the Mtn Guide was a special run Mtn rifle in a 1st Gen Ti stock. I've had a couple and foolishly sold both of them.

Its possible someone took a Ti stock inlet for one of the SAUM Ti rifles which has a heavier contour barrel, thats why I asked about the fit. I had one of those stocks on a 7MM-08 and fit was pretty good, the barrel channel didn't need any work to fit.

Regardless of what it is - its a nice rifle. It has the makings for the perfect "faux Ti" with just a barrel chop to 22" and a Ti flute on the bolt.

Hey Frank, I appreciate your input. Here are a couple of pictures of the of the barrel channel, and, to answer 10gaugemag's question, the brushed stainless finish.

Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

As I stated in one of my posts up above.
Here's a picture of the trigger. I'm not an expert; but, I think the X-mark Pro trigger came out around 2007 or 2008. I believe this one to be an X-mark Pro Adjustable which would mean at least the trigger is post 2009. And to answer your question HC, if memory serves me correctly, the outside diameter at the muzzle was something like .66 or .67.

I did talk to the original seller today and he does state that he put the X-mark Pro trigger in because it had a crappy trigger. I guess out of the frying pan and into the fire so to speak.

Thank you for the pictures - that barrel appears to be a perfect fit. Still think it could be a 1st Gen TI SAUM stock and a SPS stainless, it should fit pretty good IMHO. I know it can't be a early stainless Mtn rifle since you said it has a 24" barrel and they all had 22" for a short action. Its a really nice rig though that could make for a great hunting rifle but based on everything posted and your pictures I have to believe its probably not a Custom Shop rifle.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I'm going to agree with Oregonmuley on this one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where was all of this information at when I walked away from a 300 H&H last year because I wasn’t sure it was a factory KS. I wish I was better at this google-fu crap.

CK
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Sooo, the SS Mtn Guude was Cabela's and the blued, Gander. No? Obviously not one as it's not Mtn rifle.

But, is there indication of the barrel channel being opened up? Looks like it from here. Mtn Guide or Ti stock and a SS SPS or SS ADL BA, and a chit trigger... $600. Nothing CS about it.

Only folks who put an X Mark on a rifle do so to trip it.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 12/05/20.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Reverse that boomer. SS was Gander.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by chesterwy
That's just an ADL stainless that someone put in that stock.

Agreed, basically. And they'll feel a little front heavy.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Reverse that boomer. SS was Gander.

My phucqking memory is going! I had SS 243 and 308 and today would swear all ya'll are wrong, lol.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
Where was all of this information at when I walked away from a 300 H&H last year because I wasn’t sure it was a factory KS. I wish I was better at this google-fu crap.

Right here on the Remington 700 forum, even though a few guys are missing in today's discussion... But, there's oddballs (guys and guns) and parts guns galore.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Limited run BDL Guide Gittr. LOL
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 3,054 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,617
Posts18,532,974
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.