Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Had a Summit I liked that was very comfortable but wasn’t the quietest. The last few years I used a climber I used the Lone Wolf Sit n Climb which wasn’t as comfortable but was definitely quieter. Haven’t used one in a few years but have been thinking about breaking them out again.

Those old Bakers kept things interesting.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you have ever used a tree lounge you will never consider another brand. I always used the safety harness and the hardest part of hunting in one is staying awake. Most stable, most comfortable, and most versatile climbing stand ever made.even provides its own shooting rails.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Started out with an Amacker then went to an Ole Man. I much prefer the Ole Man but haven’t used it in several years. I’ve been known to ease down and sit on the lower part and take a nap 😁 after I tied my rifle to the upper. The sling type seat is pretty comfortable.

Use a safety harness but NO belt.

Last edited by navlav8r; 12/03/20.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use summit and Ol' Man. Summit is better on small trees and the Ol' Man better on larger trees. The Summit is super comfortable with the supplied seat but a pain to pack in and out every morning and afternoon. Replace the Summit seat with this.

https://hazmore.net/products/summit-silent-seat-tree-stand

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MS9x56
If you have ever used a tree lounge you will never consider another brand. I always used the safety harness and the hardest part of hunting in one is staying awake. Most stable, most comfortable, and most versatile climbing stand ever made.even provides its own shooting rails.

I have. Hated it, wouldn't use one if given to me for free. Found it really useless for bowhunting.

Me

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

This year I started using a saddle. I'm still learning with it and trying different things. I use the "seat" from the Lone Wolf as a platform, which is also used along with an aider to climb. Very light package with very little bulk to carry in. Pretty easy to climb with. Still working things out with it and experimenting.

Get a good platform, it makes all the difference. Over the years I've hunted with various make shift platforms and while they worked ok, this year I bought a Trophyline Mission. Night and day difference. It's the heaviest platform on the market (~5lbs) but rock solid for side pressure and the angled sides give good grip. There's some good review videos on YT where they discuss and compare all the current models on the market

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by brydan

This year I started using a saddle. I'm still learning with it and trying different things. I use the "seat" from the Lone Wolf as a platform, which is also used along with an aider to climb. Very light package with very little bulk to carry in. Pretty easy to climb with. Still working things out with it and experimenting.

Get a good platform, it makes all the difference. Over the years I've hunted with various make shift platforms and while they worked ok, this year I bought a Trophyline Mission. Night and day difference. It's the heaviest platform on the market (~5lbs) but rock solid for side pressure and the angled sides give good grip. There's some good review videos on YT where they discuss and compare all the current models on the market

I'm really liking the Lone Wolf seat. It's worked very well so far as a platform. Using it with the aider and a paracord tether I can climb/descend really easily. I'll take a look at the Trophyline Mission.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i used a summit viper for a while. obviously use a good harness. i would highly suggest that before you use the harness that you find a tree in your backyard or somewhere and do a test fall from a low height just to see what it is like to have to really use one of these harnesses and practice how you would recover. it opened my eyes on my first POS harness. i gave up treestands several years ago but the climbers can be nice and comfortable.

My diploma is a DD214
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I also have had good luck with the summit climbers. Be sure that you connect the two parts of the stand together. It gets awkward when the bottom half of the stand slips off of your boots while climbing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm really liking the Lone Wolf seat. It's worked very well so far as a platform. Using it with the aider and a paracord tether I can climb/descend really easily. I'll take a look at the Trophyline Mission.
Am I reading this right, that use use the climber seat and an aider to climb and are not using sticks?

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by pointer

Am I reading this right, that use use the climber seat and an aider to climb and are not using sticks?

Yep. First year playing with the saddle stuff and I watched vids, picked up climbing sticks, saddle, etc..... Plan was to use a single stick with an aider to climb, sit to side with saddle, raise stick, repeat.....there's lots of video's of how to do it out there. I did that but wanted a platform and thought about the seat on the Lone Wolf I had. Same premise as before except now I can use the seat (platform now) to attach the aider to, climb up and stand on the platform, raise saddle, sit to side, raise platform, climb up aider to stand on platform, repeat.... No stick needed. I do use little paracord tether attached to the platform so I can pull it up as I sit to the side and never run the risk of dropping it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve used several,but I only have a few Ol’ Man that I use now.Wear a harness...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I use a climber when I have to, always with a harness. I think the best way to buy them is used on Marketplace or craigslist. If topography allows, prefer a ground blind. If patient, a climber can be used with quite a variety of trunk types. I'm never without a good Corona folding saw when in possession of a climbing stand. I wish it was possible to install one silently, but I'm not there yet. It's exactly the type of noise that smart critters key in on. Often I'll hang the stand, trim the tree and lanes, and leave it a few feet off the ground. Of course, little risk of theft where I hunt. I have run a bike cable through them before, but never had a problem.

For years I thought harnesses were dumb, until observing the number of friends and acquaintances, most stronger and smarter than me, who busted themselves up badly falling from stands. Thus, harness.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yep. First year playing with the saddle stuff and I watched vids, picked up climbing sticks, saddle, etc..... Plan was to use a single stick with an aider to climb, sit to side with saddle, raise stick, repeat.....there's lots of video's of how to do it out there. I did that but wanted a platform and thought about the seat on the Lone Wolf I had. Same premise as before except now I can use the seat (platform now) to attach the aider to, climb up and stand on the platform, raise saddle, sit to side, raise platform, climb up aider to stand on platform, repeat.... No stick needed. I do use little paracord tether attached to the platform so I can pull it up as I sit to the side and never run the risk of dropping it.
Thank you for the explanation. Had not heard of anyone doing it that way. Seems slick and very light weight!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Thank you for the explanation. Had not heard of anyone doing it that way. Seems slick and very light weight!

Yeah, I hadn't heard of anyone else doing it either....which makes me nervous.......grin....

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
They are all huge and heavier than need be.
Seems they are all 300# rated. Twice what I need. API used to make a Baby Grand Slam that was the tits.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I can only add a little that I didn’t already see mentioned.

I’ve had the experience of sitting on the seat and bumping the lower and watching it fall to the end of the cord attached to the seat.. make sure you attach that.

I’ve also had the experience of standing on the lower for a break, and while looking around, accidentally bumped the seat, and had it fall to my ankles. It’s a little disconcerting. After that happened a time or two, I’d screw in a tree step on the back side so it couldn’t accidentally fall.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bhemry
I can only add a little that I didn’t already see mentioned.

I’ve had the experience of sitting on the seat and bumping the lower and watching it fall to the end of the cord attached to the seat.. make sure you attach that.

I’ve also had the experience of standing on the lower for a break, and while looking around, accidentally bumped the seat, and had it fall to my ankles. It’s a little disconcerting. After that happened a time or two, I’d screw in a tree step on the back side so it couldn’t accidentally fall.
I remedy the top from being bumped and falling with a ratchet strap. Doesn't have to be stupid night, but snug keeps it in place. I then use it for keep the two sections together when packing it.

D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
Another vote for Summit. Super comfy!

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I use an old loggy bayou , lightweight and pretty quiet climbing with a few mods.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1minute, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 280Jeff, 59 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,120
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.