Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Remington 700 in 7/08 that I am planning to sell. It was sold to me as a "Custom Shop" rifle. Through my own ignorance I thought it was a KS; but, I have since discovered I was mistaken and that is not the case. However, before I sell, I need to confirm whether or not this is indeed a custom shop rifle. Because of their current status, phone calls and e-mails to Remington are now going unanswered. Are there ways to tell if this is a custom shop rifle?

First, I will tell you what I do know. The guy I bought it from bought it new and assures me it is a Custom Shop rifle. I know, people can lie; but, that time has passed and before I sell, I wish to be sure. On to what I do know. It is a stainless, ADL, in 7/08 with a 24 inch barrel and an X-Mark Pro trigger. It wears the stock that Remington put on their Ti rifles and the stock weighs a scant 23.2 ounces. It is a Bell and Carlson that, according to Brandon at B&C: " We sold those to Remington for their titanium series mountain contour barrel. They put them on a few other small runs for the custom shop". According to the date code on the left side of the rifle (KO) the rifle was manufactured in May of 1994. The entire rifle weighs 6 pounds 3 ounces.

I would be happy to answer any questions that would enable someone to confirm the custom shop status of the rifle. I provide all of the information above in the attempt to eliminate any of the anticipated most basic questions. I guess someone might ask "how does it shoot?". I don't know. It's one I have never fired after acquiring it. What other things are there, if any, at which I can look to make my determination? Thanks in advance.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
HR IC

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I believe most custom shop guns had the caliber stamped with hand stamps on the barrel instead of the normal roll stamp that is used on production guns.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
a picture is worth a thousand words but i am thinking it is not....during those years it was the long action KS model and the model seven in short action

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Kid is correct. My 7mm Mag just has caliber stamped on it , none of the other markings. Mine came bedded from the factory.
GreggH

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I've owned two and maybe a third.

All three have the caliber in very small letters stamped on the barrel shank, the two letter date code, and nothing else.

One was .300 Win Mag, and it was not stamped level, or clearly - but Remington verified the serial number as a Custom Shop receiver.

The current rifle I have in question has the same small stamping in 375 H&H - but a call to Remington (before the passage) resulted in a no - it's not a Custom Shop serial number.

Yours sounds right, but there's apparently other custom shop "type" marked rifles.

Mine does not look it's been taken apart, looks factory - "OE" date code with a "B" pre-fix.

Last edited by AH64guy; 12/04/20.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Pics??

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I did not post pictures originally because everything that is stated so far does not exist on my rifle. For example "Custom Shop" being stamped is not on my rifle. My research shows that wasn't necessarily done on all custom shop rifles. I've also learned through extensive research, that most of the indicators in this thread weren't an across the board "inclusion" on all custom shop rifles. Additionally, it is my understanding they did numberous "custom shop runs" of various configurations. Here are pictures though. Thanks for all input so far and for any further input.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
That looks like part of a special run for Gander Mountain or Cabelas. Think they called it the “mountain guide”

Desirable setup of a mountain gun in an original Ti BC stock

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That is not a Remington custom shop rifle.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
That looks like part of a special run for Gander Mountain or Cabelas. Think they called it the “mountain guide”

Desirable setup of a mountain gun in an original Ti BC stock

Agreed - I believe you a Gander Mountain rifle - special run rifle.

The older custom shop guns I've had were not stamped "Custom Shop" - they were only marked the tiny caliber stamp, a date code, the proof, and none of the warning or address stamps.

Last edited by AH64guy; 12/04/20.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting. I have been corresponding with a few of our members more knowledgeable than myself when trying to identify the stock. A couple of them also suggested that they thought it might be a Gander Mountain "Mountain Guide".

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is a Gander Mountain Guide - They have the same stocks as the 1st gen Titanium rifles.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

I just held a M7 stainless in 7/08 today at a local shop and thought the stock was the same as the one on my Ti.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gene270 is correct. The M700 KS rifles were long action only and the short action KS rifles were done in a Model Seven.

What is the barrel length on your rifle? All Mountain Guides were 22" IF I remember correctly. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I may have the muzzle thickness written down somewhere, but I'm sure someone here can check theirs for you to ensure it has the "mountain profile" barrel.

Either way, it's a very nice rifle.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
StudDuck, it has a 24 inch barrel. This had me scratching my head too as my research showed the GM Mountain Guides had 22 inch barrels.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I'm fairly certain this is a rifle that's been "pieced together", not that that's a bad thing! The X-Mark Pro trigger doesn't match a 1994 action which as we all know it's easy enough to change a trigger but all the Gander Mountain Guide rifles had 22" mountain rifle contour barrels. What's the muzzle diameter of this barrel? I could be wrong but I believe all stainless mountain rifle barrels have been 22". Either way this a nice little rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a picture of the trigger. I'm not an expert; but, I think the X-mark Pro trigger came out around 2007 or 2008. I believe this one to be an X-mark Pro Adjustable which would mean at least the trigger is post 2009. And to answer your question HC, if memory serves me correctly, the outside diameter at the muzzle was something like .66 or .67.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Is a Remington model 700 PSS the same as the
40X?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How well does the barrel fit in the inlet of the stock? If I had to take a wild guess, this could be an early SPS Stainless 700 which did have a sporter contour 24" barrel. Like already mentioned the Gander Mtn Guide which was stainless and the blued version which was sold at Cabelas all had 22" barrels for their short actions. Basically the Mtn Guide was a special run Mtn rifle in a 1st Gen Ti stock. I've had a couple and foolishly sold both of them.

Its possible someone took a Ti stock inlet for one of the SAUM Ti rifles which has a heavier contour barrel, thats why I asked about the fit. I had one of those stocks on a 7MM-08 and fit was pretty good, the barrel channel didn't need any work to fit.

Regardless of what it is - its a nice rifle. It has the makings for the perfect "faux Ti" with just a barrel chop to 22" and a Ti flute on the bolt.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Is a Remington model 700 PSS the same as the
40X?

Really?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 1minute, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 59 invisible), 2,367 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,182
Posts18,503,266
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.