Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
This happened November 9th and there has been zero information from the authorities, despite a homicide charge being filed. Today the Colorado Sun published an article with a little more information. Here is the defense attorney's account:

The hunting party — which Jones said was “three or four” hunters — had radios and was working together to track the wounded elk. Watkins saw the animal through thick trees, Jones said.

“He saw the antlers. He saw the brown. He saw the animal was down in the woods,” Jones said. “The problem was that his buddy had taken off his orange and was kneeling next to the downed animal. (Watkins) saw that the animal was about to get up and he fired. That’s what caused his buddy’s death.”

https://coloradosun.com/2020/12/04/...nal-charges-in-colorado-death-of-hunter/

Hell of a thing.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by riverdog
This happened November 9th and there has been zero information from the authorities, despite a homicide charge being filed. Today the Colorado Sun published an article with a little more information. Here is the defense attorney's account:

The hunting party — which Jones said was “three or four” hunters — had radios and was working together to track the wounded elk. Watkins saw the animal through thick trees, Jones said.

“He saw the antlers. He saw the brown. He saw the animal was down in the woods,” Jones said. “The problem was that his buddy had taken off his orange and was kneeling next to the downed animal. (Watkins) saw that the animal was about to get up and he fired. That’s what caused his buddy’s death.”

Hell of a thing.

Fuucking imbecile takes off his orange? SMH.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by riverdog

Hell of a thing.

Fuucking imbecile takes off his orange? SMH.

Yea , he won't do that again !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Doubtful the shooter saw that "the animal was about to get up" if he buddy was kneeling next to it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What happened to " Be sure of the target, and what
is in front of it and beyond it " ?

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
This story happened last year in Tennessee , a terrible story about a man and his 9 year old daughter.

The shooter was never named, anyone familiar with the details ,

https://wgntv.com/news/a-man-and-his-9-year-old-daughter-killed-in-new-years-day-hunting-accident/

The shooter was never publicly named.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A friend of mine who happens to be a police officer told me that many hunting "accidents" are in fact intentional homicides. Done right almost a perfect crime.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Riverdog: No I had not heard of this before. Sure a tragedy of human error and carelessness.
Sad that one of our "own" died while recreating (Hunting).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Theres just no reason anyone gets shot, even of their not wearung safety orange. It just shouldnt happen if one is certain of the target and seeing "brown" isnt certain so dont shoot. It was probably murder.

It is a possibility a bullet could be deflected after hitting an object in flight to the intended target and veer off and accidently strike someone. Rare. But its possible.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's really sad.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
This is a bad deal, and am amazed it does not happen more often out there with the apparent influx of hunters in the area. The Kremmling locale always had a high number wearing orange in the backcountry in the fall . Too many things can go wrong when the hunting population increases. Had quite a number of missions for hunters in that region when I was on the local SAR team. Some really weird [bleep] , too!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by troublesome82
Some really weird [bleep] , too!

Love to hear some of those stories......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by troublesome82
Some really weird [bleep] , too!

Love to hear some of those stories......

I would also like to hear a few of those tales myself, having hunted in that area more than a few times.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose.
It was written to limit the power of government over the individual
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by mag410
A friend of mine who happens to be a police officer told me that many hunting "accidents" are in fact intentional homicides. Done right almost a perfect crime.

Had a secretary in our office fall in love with a coworker of mine years ago. My coworker buddy, her husband, and I hunted together a lot; her husband had no clue wife/secretary was fooling around with my coworker. The affair got to the “fatal attraction “ stage when she asked coworker to take hubby quail hunting and “accidentally “ blow his head off so they could marry.

The affair came to a screeching halt after her request and believe it or not they worked things out and are still married. Life can be strange sometimes.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by mag410

Had a secretary in our office fall in love with a coworker of mine years ago. My coworker buddy, her husband, and I hunted together a lot; her husband had no clue wife/secretary was fooling around with my coworker. The affair got to the “fatal attraction “ stage when she asked coworker to take hubby quail hunting and “accidentally “ blow his head off so they could marry.

The affair came to a screeching halt after her request and believe it or not they worked things out and are still married. Life can be strange sometimes.

Crazy and there is no way I would stay with that woman.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Doubtful the shooter saw that "the animal was about to get up" if he buddy was kneeling next to it.

What I heard was, the guy who got shot found his elk...........took off his orange..........and had grabbed it by the antlers and was looking at them/turning the head back and forth when the other guy saw the "wounded" elk and shot.

An excuse ??? Nuh uh. But it's easy to see how it COULD happen.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Not to derail, but iirc many years ago an outfitter, Jody Hill, in that area got popped for can't remember what , but he was guiding Steven Seagal on an elk hunt near Kremmling as he was in the area filming a movie , Under Siege 2, that had some scenes in the canyon. Rumor has it that Seagal took a shot on an elk at 1000yds or so. Would have been mid 90's. Maybe some of you that live out there remember that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't remember that, but I do remember Ty Murray getting in trouble for bulldogging an elk off a snowmachine up there.....

edit to add the only thing I could find about it....

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-1995-02-10-9502090728-story.html

Last edited by huntsman22; 12/06/20.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Don't remember that, but I do remember Ty Murray getting in trouble for bulldogging an elk off a snowmachine up there.....

I would like to see that.. was it in a film?

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Dam bull riders.

Originally Posted by huntsman22

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1badf350, 160user, 1941USMC, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,383
Posts18,506,736
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.