Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Nephew popped this old girl last Sat. She was a big doe

I told him he had to tag it and take it, I was not babysitting his deer. People even family abuse you when let them hang deer in your walk in.

Had a church deacon I let hang two in the cooler, he went crappie fishing 3 days in a row and left his punk does in my cooler. Little Cool Bot just running it’s heart out. Fook that, I pulled them and drove them to his house. He in there sittin on his ass watching TV.

That’s it.

Anyway, this doe, probably 100 lbs dressed. He couldnt find a processor that day, they are all overwhelmed.

Him and step dad got it up in their garage and hacked off the big muscle groups and packed it on ice. Work out your own salvation. Your deer aint my problem. Let them hunt here but have your own plan is what I told him ahead.

They were in a rush so I doubt every mouse scrap got saved.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
SW MO here, usually get +/- 30 lbs. from the average doe. they go 90-130 or so here, live weight. Killed a monster doe a couple years ago. Shot her in the head, dropped her literally in her tracks, bullet went through the head and into her back, hit the paunch. Sister in law and her husband wanted a deer, so they got one. Loved it, said they got 45 lbs. of meat out of her. Shot a yearling once, won’t do that again. All the work for 10-15 lbs. of meat. Screw that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buddy of mine killed a doe this morning just outside of Kansas City. He said it will go close to 200 lbs, by the pics I believe him. Killed her and her fawn to fill his rifle antlerless tags and then killed a nice 8 point that evening with his crossbow.

CK
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I need to set up a cool bot in my walk in.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
LG with electronic frost sensor has been trouble free for 9 years so far.

I have a 25kbtu for 7x8x9H

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yeah. I have been thinking about your set up.

My walkin has a rail in it and everything. Just the compressor and evap-condensor are from the 60s and ruined.

A cool bot would probably be perfect.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Slum any chance you post a pic of you setup?

CK
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Looked that up.

25kbtu is a serious ac unit. 600 or 700?

Fraction of the price of a refer unit.

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by slumlord

I told him he had to tag it and take it, I was not babysitting his deer. People even family abuse you when let them hang deer in your walk in.

Had a church deacon I let hang two in the cooler, he went crappie fishing 3 days in a row and left his punk does in my cooler. Little Cool Bot just running it’s heart out. Fook that, I pulled them and drove them to his house. He in there sittin on his ass watching TV.

That’s it.

Anyway, this doe, probably 100 lbs dressed. He couldnt find a processor that day, they are all overwhelmed.

Him and step dad got it up in their garage and hacked off the big muscle groups and packed it on ice. Work out your own salvation. Your deer aint my problem. Let them hunt here but have your own plan is what I told him ahead.

That is the fugliest doe ever. Looks like a CWD poster child! I would have let it walk right on by.😂

Style point for the turrets, though. Must have equipment for timber goats in TN! 😂

Last edited by OldGrayWolf; 12/04/20.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I do have a good scale in the garage. I average 45%(+/-3%) of the field dressed weight of most whitetail deer here in VA. (Not including heart and liver that I keep - if not ruined) Bucks on the higher end and does on the lower. I do strip all the useable meat and trim off all the fat to get those averages.

I hammed and strapped for a long time when I cooked a lot of muscle cuts. Now with young kids in the house, I make a lot more burger and sausage to stretch it out and because they like it more than steaks or roasts.

Just made a 25# batch of boudin sausage this evening with the hearts and livers. The kids like it and I can use an extra 3-4# of each kill...

Semper Fi

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf

That’s it.

That is the fugliest doe ever. Looks like a CWD poster child! I would have let it walk right on by.😂

Style point for the turrets, though. Must have equipment for timber goats in TN! 😂

She does look like someone done beat 'er with an ugly stick. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
The last time that I paid the processor to do it for us was when I took in an over 200# doe and got a poultry 30# like all of the little ones that were strung up.

Interesting... turned two hundred pounds of venison into thirty pounds of chicken.

....Shes a Witch!!

Last edited by hillestadj; 12/05/20.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by goalie
[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

This one was about 45# this year. MN though, not MI

nice doe

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Neck roasts are great eating. I always skin to the base of the skull and take out as much meat from the neck as possible.

Originally Posted by efw
Ham her out, cut the back straps hell with the rest

Big does around here are no more than 120 lbs and those are rare.

I dont save every scrap, or cut between ribs. I used to skin it down and cut neck roasts.

Meh...

I tossed the neck roast off my Michigan slick head into the crock yesterday with Worcestershire, onions, and black pepper. Pulled the bone out and thickened up the gravy with flour and served it on baked potatoes.

Awesome quarantine meal. I love me some neck roast though deer I shoot near CWD don’t get quite the same treatment.

Mine yielded prolly 40# but I double lunged her and kept everything except the rib meat and a lot of the flank steaks.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I took in an over 200# doe and got a poultry 30# like all of the little ones that were strung up..

Wow - took venison in and got chicken back! Such a deal . . . . laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The last time that I paid the processor to do it for us was when I took in an over 200# doe and got a poultry 30# like all of the little ones that were strung up.
Before butchering it was obviously bigger than any others hung beside her. I got a close estimate for them all afterwards. They were all the same and the farmer bragged on how many they do in a day. At that speed, they got the bulk off and divided it however they decided. All of the processors I've used within the local counties are like that, so probably the same for you.

PS:. This was a WV doe, not Michigan. I could tell from the accent.

Typical processor BS

you probably didnt get meat from your deer.

The deal used to be they fill up a milk crate with packs of meat from the processor’s freezer, go dump into your trunk and tell you to have a nice day. Everyone got about 27-33 lbs of meat.

The guy would work out plus and minus on everyone to account for shot up shoulders, ass shot deer or even rob someone else to make higher payout $$ for someone that wanted summer sausage or jerky. Then burn their ass for $8 lb for specialty things like smoked or cheese added sausage. Oh yeah sure then you’d get 40 lbs of meat from a 80lbdoe

All a swindler’s paradise.

Hell with letting some scumball lay his filthy hands on my carcass and give me back someone’s gut shot buck that rode around for 1/2 the day being shown off to friends at Napa or the welding shop.

Yup, I agree.
After getting the same "service" from all of the processors around here, I finally hunted with my uncles. One of them was the head of the butcher shops for A&P. We'd process our own and I'm fortunate to have been taught a useful skill. It's always fresh now and tastes much better. To heck with bloodying up the car and wasting time with driving across the county to a check in station.

For me hunting alone on foot, its usually easier to take a new tarp or heavy mil sheet of plastic in the woods. Quarter them and pack out. Cool till firm and process ASAP. Some like to let them ripen, but I like em fresh.
The butcher knives are on the second generation now.
The best things my uncles left me were hunting, butchering skills and good memories.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I took in an over 200# doe and got a poultry 30# like all of the little ones that were strung up..

Wow - took venison in and got chicken back! Such a deal . . . . laugh

Hahaha!
Them stinkin processors were always pulling a new one on me. LOL!

Poultry...paltry.... i am the product of the pubik skools. I'm trying to add new words to my vocabulary.

R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the replies. One of my buddies in Washington state has a nice Cabell grinder that we used when I lived back there but I have not invested in one. I got 30# back from my doe so that sounds pretty normal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by logcutter
Hell with letting some scumball lay his filthy hands on my carcass and give me back someone’s gut shot buck that rode around for 1/2 the day being shown off to friends at Napa or the welding shop

I used to think that also at it just might happen at some processors but not all..My youngest helps the local game processor here during the season cutting up game...Strict rules and your game is your game not someone else's..This year was a very good one for elk...Some of the game brought in is on the brink of being already soured out and filthy dirty,but they do what they can with what they got...It's really interesting to see how some of the hunters treat there game after the kill...I sure wouldn't want there's by mistake either..

Jayco
sounds like you have some dependable processors there that take pride in their work and respect the hunters that bring in business to them.

It’s a laid back arrangement here.

I process my own. Have my own walkin cooler, let them hang for several days. Grind and trim and vac seal as I still budget time to continue hunting.

I have seen PILES of carcasses at home business processor guy’s houses, 30+ deer laying like cord word in 50-60 temps in his driveway. Not a pretty thing.

That reminds me of the time I meant to get the big beer cooler from Sheetz when they gutted the store for remodeling. They were offered to me and I said I didn't have space at the time. Wish I had that thick insulation and freezer units now......for Free. A walk in like yours comes in handy.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 12/05/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm still looking for back shoulders

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 22250rem, 2500HD, 53 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,915
Posts18,518,712
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.