Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by jimy
Try Boodles ,you wont regret it

https://www.boodlesgin.com/

I keep it in the freezer, always ready, my only other gin I like.

Lynn

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How do I drink my Scotch?
From a Gin bottle.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I just poured a half bottle of Dewars down the Sewers. Stuff tastes like dirt. Kept the bottle for an old friend who attended a few dinners but he stopped socializing after his wife passed. I tried a sip before deciding to dump it. No way would I drink it. What is the taste from? Peat?

God Bless America
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep, you either like Scotch or you don't. I do.. Gin is like sucking on a pine bough.. A good Mescal, yep.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually, more like sucking on a Juniper bough. Good stuff!

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by cooper57m
My favorite is Highland Park 12 or 18 but I had an Aberlour 12 Double Cask earlier this year that was very nice indeed. I have a nice Japanese malt, Nikka Coffey Malt (Coffey is a type of still, it's not coffee flavored) which has a nice rich chocolate note that makes it a fine after dinner dram. And - - - chilling any alcohol retards volatilization which will effect the smell (nose) of the whisky and since smell is a large part of taste, chilling will effect taste. With a nice, aged, single malt, you've paid for that flavor; you might as well get all the flavor you've paid for.

Highland Park 12 is my go to drink and I've got two bottles of 18 in the cabinet I sip on for special occasions. Balvenie Doublewood 12 is another favorite of mine.

I agree with all you say about ice, it's blasphemy to put ice in good whisky. However, with the number of times on this thread I've counted guys listing cheap rotgut bourbon as their favorite drink it doesn't surprise me a bit. What can you say? There are plenty of guys that want steak well done and think Kim Kardashian's enormous ass is sexy.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Ice cubes are for people who don't like the taste of their whisky.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have to say that gin & tonics have gotten me through a few hot summer days....

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Yep, you either like Scotch or you don't. I do.. Gin is like sucking on a pine bough.. A good Mescal, yep.

Hendricks doesn't

Me

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Gin? How did we get talking about gin on a whisky thread. So be it:

https://us.monkey47.com/distillers-cut

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a neat guy.

I like to start with a good hit of single malt. Then switch to Scoresby for the rest of night. I drink out of a stainless steel beaker and use a dilute Lemonade for a palate cleanser.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That step down is akin to falling off a cliff.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Back in the days of my youth, when I drank "blended" whisky and thought Dewar's White Label was good stuff and Chivas Regal the ne plus ultra of scotch, it was right from the bottle, often with a pinch of Copenhagen on the other side of my mouth and a beer in my other hand. Now, with a cabinet of single malts (and a bottle of White Label for when someone wants a scotch-based cocktail) it's usually neat or with a single cube of ice.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cra1948
Back in the days of my youth, when I drank "blended" whisky and thought Dewar's White Label was good stuff and Chivas Regal the ne plus ultra of scotch, it was right from the bottle, often with a pinch of Copenhagen on the other side of my mouth and a beer in my other hand. Now, with a cabinet of single malts (and a bottle of White Label for when someone wants a scotch-based cocktail) it's usually neat or with a single cube of ice.

Sounds like me! Except it would have been Turkey 101 in those days.

Today??? I drink my single-malts by putting them in the back of the cabinet for company and pour myself a double of Makers 46 over a round ball of distilled water ice in my Yeti tumbler.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by shaman
I'm a neat guy.

I like to start with a good hit of single malt. Then switch to Scoresby for the rest of night. I drink out of a stainless steel beaker and use a dilute Lemonade for a palate cleanser.

Originally Posted by mathman

The Macallan, it sure-as-hell aint... grin

Shaman introduced me to Scoresby almost exactly 1 year ago. Curiously, it's not passed my lips since. laugh

And speaking of The Macallan, whoda thunk the world of Scotch whiskey would need an equivalent to THE Ohio State University?

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Neat.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Well, I figure that once I've addled my taste buds, it's not really worth wasting the good stuff.

To me, Scoresby has a very honey-like taste. As a swilling scotch, I've found no better. At camp it works equally well as an antiseptic and a parts cleaner.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Wannabewanna: I don't - I spend my monies on guns and ammo!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by shaman
I'm a neat guy.

The Macallan, it sure-as-hell aint... grin

Shaman introduced me to Scoresby almost exactly 1 year ago. Curiously, it's not passed my lips since. laugh

And speaking of The Macallan, whoda thunk the world of Scotch whiskey would need an equivalent to THE Ohio State University?

FC

You just didn't deaden your taste buds enough. We'll have to continue your lessons. It's all a matter of discipline.

I used to have to visit the warehouses of the old Monsanto plant. They did a half-day on safety training. It was filled with warnings like: "If you smell something like fresh doughnuts, you're already dead." Scoresby is a lot like that. You just need to keep it coming until that golden honey taste comes through and then you know it's too late. I'm using THE Macallan until no more than 2nd stage separation and then switch to Scoresby for the Trans-Lunar Injection burn.

. . . and then I hear the laconic voice of Rocky Rabb intone: "You have a Go for Press to MECO."

I was relating this to my sons the other night. It was a full moon back in 2008. I'd nailed a nice 8-pointer at sundown and I had no one at camp to help. It took a long time to get it gutted and loaded in the S10 and I was quite spent when I hit the Thoughtful Spot, and poured myself my first one. TLI went smoothly, and I was in a nice parking orbit, bathed in moonlight when my phone rang. KYHillChick wanted to know if I was all right.

She had taken Angus to band practice, and missed my earlier call to tell her I was out. I regailed her with my story about the buck and then asked for the Cincinnati Caledonians for a request: Play Caber Feigh (The horns of the deer) It was their signature tune.

There I was, in a perfect orbit around the full moon of November with an entire Pipe and Drum band playing my request. It was mighty fine-- one of the highlights of my life. For some reason, I don't recall splashdown, but I woke up in bed the next morning with my mouth feeling like I'd been licking the heat shield and a 200 lb buck frozen solid in the freezer. It took until noon to thaw things out enough to get the hoist in and get him out. The processor was mighty amazed when I rolled in with a deer frozen in a solid rectangular block.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I keep a bottle of Scotch under the sink at all times in case the drain gets plugged.

[Linked Image]
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,701 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,639
Posts18,512,214
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.