Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Looking for a smaller gas powered chainsaw. Maybe an 18" bar no bigger than 20". I've narrowed it down to Stihl or Husqvarna. What brand would you choose and what model.

I'm looking to spend less than $500 and won't be using it too much. Just to take camping and cut camp firewood and clear trees out of the road. Something that won't take up too much room in the back of the truck but something reliable.

Local store has both 10% off tonight.

Thanks,
Bb

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Husqvarna.

I like my Makita/Dolmar a lot as well.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MadMooner;
Good morning to you sir, I hope that the day's looking bright and clear in your part of the world and all that matter are well.

While I've related this previously, I'll quickly repeat it as I'm half ways out the door.

Our eldest worked for the local saw shop a couple years back and when I needed a smaller limbing saw, she said they absolutely would not sell me a consumer line small Husky.

Way too many problems and now that they're in the Canadian Tire and Home Depot market are on a Poulan sort of level of quality, which is to say disposable if they malfunction.

So it was that they sold me my very first Stihl, an MS 170.

Anyways, many roads to Mecca and all that sir, but that's what the shop she worked at said and did.

All the best to you all this winter as we head into the Christmas Season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Dealer support/Dealer support/Dealer support.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have several stihl and 1 husky , I hate the hassle of trying to get parts for stihl
but like the way they run. The husky ran great for a few months then not so ....
I would say both are good saws and would choose based on best available service.

All This! And the circus too?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chainsaw, stihl or Husqvarna?

Get one of each, ya got two hands don't ya.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Looking for a smaller gas powered chainsaw. Maybe an 18" bar no bigger than 20". I've narrowed it down to Stihl or Husqvarna. What brand would you choose and what model.

I'm looking to spend less than $500 and won't be using it too much. Just to take camping and cut camp firewood and clear trees out of the road. Something that won't take up too much room in the back of the truck but something reliable.

Thanks,
Bb

I have both. I think the stihl is better quality.

Im looking for the same type of truck saw and probably go to an electric for these type of duties.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just fix this to replace my 40 yo Stihl 031AV, which is/was just an amazing saw.

Talked to my local dealer, the man of Stihl, bearhuntr here.

Bought an MS250. A bit hard to start with high compression, but is a beast when cutting, but not in weight. Purchased on last day of their fall sale last week.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Amazon has carbs and parts for most chainsaws, I was surprised looking for carb rebuild kit for my Sthil 041 Farm boss and Amazon had a new carb for less than the rebuild kit.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Stihl, all the way, and the 017 is a dandy!

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Dealer support/Dealer support/Dealer support.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Burly,

I had time on two small pro saws.
To be honest, my friends small homeowner stihl was good to go for twenty years of firewood.

My pro model Stihl was a serious lemon. I read that many were that same year because the engineers were rushed to meet California emissions. It cost me thousands of dollars in a couple of lost jobs.

I replaced it with a pro Husky and am still a Happy Camper. It usually starts on the second pull. Its bigger and more $ than you need to spend, but I have not heard too much bad from either brand.
My friend likes a commercial grade electric saw now better than his little stihl. I forget what brand, but others here will recommend.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Thanks,
Bb
Generally a 20" barred chainsaw is considered pretty big, unless you're talking professional. I don't see much difference between the two brands. Dolmar is rumored to be on the way out. Now branded "Makita" since that brand has owned them since the 90's, supposedly Makita is getting out of the gasoline-powered saw business.

Jonesred is another brand to consider. Sold by Menard's, if y'all have got any of those stores up in Idaho.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PS: It's important that whatever you get, don't let the gas set in the tank over winter. Use fresh for every fill up. The "Offroad" non Ethel gas is the one to find.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

But then, not to get anyone's feeling hurt.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have both. I have an 026 pro, 034 super, husky 51 and a echo 3000.

For small saws, I appreciate the echo. Its quiet and pretty good power.

Stihl runs less rpm than husky with more torque, husky works the horsepower end....both are loud and powerful.

Every one of them are in good tune and cut well. I do end up with the echo in my hands on anything under a 18-20" cut.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've got a Stihl 026 and can't imagine a 'better' saw for my needs.

Starts every single time. So reliable.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Stihl pro series 261 is what I opted for this year

Ran a echo timber wolf cs 690 this week at deer camp that was impressive, and not expensive at all I would have bought it over the stihl knowing what I know now as I am not a daily user

Logger that recently worked on our place said the newer and large husqvarna saws are having lots of issues burning up top ends because of the fuel injection. He has been using stihl due to this and older husky saws. Said he typically prefers husqvarna though

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Stihl or Husqvarna has has been mentioned dealer support is very important. Both are very good brand pick the correct model whichever brand you choose. Dolmar / Makita is no more at this time gas company Makita has been sold or dissolved.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
bought an echo a couple of months ago, actually using it today. easy to start and works great.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

336 members (1OntarioJim, 17Hunter, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 29 invisible), 1,320 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,983
Posts18,520,002
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.