Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

Let’s say you have never owned a Mauser, but want to experience hunting with one.

What action would you chose and why, and where would one go about finding one.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First I would look at the rack where your dealer keeps the really bad "Bubba'd" Mausers. You know, the ones some guy butchered in his garage.

As long as there aren't weird holes drilled in the reciever, I'd look for 1909 Mausers with the hinged floor plate. Some of the 98 Mausers with South American crests on the reciever rings were made in Germany under contract. FN Mausers, some made under contract for Sears and other companies.

My 98 was a severely butchered Oberndorf with the Mauser commercial banner on the reciever that I found in a pawn shop in Phoenix AZ back in 1983.

I had a local gunsmith totally work in over in the early 90's.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Dan

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Dantheman
First I would look at the rack where your dealer keeps the really bad "Bubba'd" Mausers. You know, the ones some guy butchered in his garage.

As long as there aren't weird holes drilled in the reciever, I'd look for 1909 Mausers with the hinged floor plate. Some of the 98 Mausers with South American crests on the reciever rings were made in Germany under contract. FN Mausers, some made under contract for Sears and other companies.

My 98 was a severely butchered Oberndorf with the Mauser commercial banner on the reciever that I found in a pawn shop in Phoenix AZ back in 1983.

I had a local gunsmith totally work in over in the early 90's.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Dan

This and I would add the Czech produced 98's(98/22, VZ24..) to that list. Usually the many Zastava produced98s(Interarms, Charles Daly, Remington 798 ect) are pretty easy to find and reasonably priced.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Any BRNO and any South American contract Mauser after WWI. The 1909 is nice, yes, and there is a lot of beautiful rifles built on it...but I'm not a big fan of re-heat treating. And you don't really know if your receiver is soft unless you have a way to test it...so why bother, when there are so many good ones out there that were done right from the get go?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I would buy the least expensive Husqvarna 640 with a large ring FN-made action that hadn't been d&t for a side mount from Simpsons, LTD, in Galesburg, IL.

I would would rather build on a 70 year old Husqvarna 640 than on a new Zastava.

I have multiple rifles built on both actions, with the Zastava's being marked Interarms Mark X and Remington 798, along with another dozen built on military Mauser actions that were made in Austria, Belgium, Mexico, Germany, and Sweden.

If you're interested in a military action, I've got a Steyr-made Columbian 1929 action that I was going to build as a 257 Roberts, but haven't and probably won't at this point in time. It is a straight military action, no modifications.

EDIT: $170 shipped and insured to your FFL.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 12/06/20. Reason: Add a price
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Let’s say you have never owned a Mauser, but want to experience hunting with one.

https://www.sarcoinc.com/dumoulin-mauser-action/

Ready to go for only $345

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

If you decide to go that route, Sunny Hill Machine makes scope mounts for it.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
G33/40.......

Have fun.....j3
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

If you decide to go that route, Sunny Hill Machine makes scope mounts for it.

I think Talley does also.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think all of the above suggestions sound good. I am not sure if you are looking to build from scratch, find one to tweek just a little, or find a Mauser all ready to take out and hunt. It is amazing what you can find at the local gun shop, gun show, or even call a local gunsmith and ask what is sitting around extra.

I guess I am partial to the Husqvarnas as well. Many of the 640s are reasonably priced with FN actions. And you may even get a good barrel already on it depending what caliber you are after. There are even quite a few Husqvarna 1640 models out there too, (especially in 30-06) available for a more modern Mauser type action. Good luck in the search and be sure to let us know what you find!

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
'09 Argentine are amoung some of the best miliitary Mausers, good luck finding a G33/40 when found they're pricey. FN Mauser/Sears M/50 are good as are Mark X and Santa Barbara. I've built a .338 WM on a Santa Barbara and a .280AI on an '09 Argentine, both turned out to be nice rifles.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
There are so many good actions out there suited to so many different cartridges I’d decide what the cartridge I wanted was and then build.

I used a Mexican 1910 Small Ring 98 for a .257 Rob as it’s an intermediate length action.

A modern Husky Small Ring 98 would make a great choice for a standard (06) length build.

The challenge with those actions is stock availability. The big upside is weight savings.

That Dumoulin is a great value as it has the hinged floor plate, three position safety, and adjustable trigger that add so much to the refining cost of an Argie or VZ24. They require refining (timing & smoothing up) but if I were doing a belted Mag that’d be my choice.

I’ve learned over the years that trying to save money or being in a hurry on these can cost a lot of money. Plan it out in consultation with your gunsmith and stick to the plan no matter how long it takes or what the $ cost is. Spend once cry once; if you cut corners you’ll be unhappy and end up redoing things later which costs more than doing it right first.

Good luck!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If you just want to hunt with one, not necessarily build one yourself, look for either a commercial rifle (FN, Husqvarna, Zastava) or find one already sporterized that you like. You'll come out WAY ahead vs building one.

There are some really nice utilitarian rifles out there for low prices.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MTDan
If you just want to hunt with one, not necessarily build one yourself, look for either a commercial rifle (FN, Husqvarna, Zastava) or find one already sporterized that you like. You'll come out WAY ahead vs building one.

There are some really nice utilitarian rifles out there for low prices.

I made a living customizing Mausers. If you just want to hunt with a Mauser or try one out, I mostly agree with MTDan. Check out the recent thread on JC Higgins model 50s. There are a ton of (if you shop carefully) inexpensive factory Mauser 98 based rifles to be had. I tell my friends to find one of these rather than a "sporterized" milsurp. There are too many fubar conversions of milsurps. So, unless you know what to look for, avoid them. If you are well versed in Mauser conversions, then yes, a careful buyer can find some very nice custom rifles at bargain prices. In the last year or so I picked up a nice FN made .270 and Interarms Mk X in .30-06, each for under $400. I also scored a Santa Barbara .30-06 for $150, I made it up into an awesome open sight truck gun.

I suggest deciding how much you want to spend then deciding how you want to proceed. If its a full on Custom rifle you want, then decide if you want to build on a Milsurp action or commercial, and buy an unmolested example. As EFW says, the Dumoulin incorporates many features people want in a custom Mauser; 3 position safety, scope ready, modern steel, etc.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I saw a JC Higgins M50 for $399 shouldn't last long at that price

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
I'm not a gunsmith, but with envy for such with tool talents! But combo of reading a fair amount and "hands on" with a variety in mauser milsurps & such based sporters. I do concur with much said here, particularly including many of the commercial brands and military iterations mentioned. There are just a heck of a lot of nice commercial rifles out there to be had yet at reasonable prices. A big part of 'the deal' in such expertise expressed here, in picking & choosing; knowing how to evaluate the prospective purchase. Wheat from chafe! Then too, some of the Bubba categories. Most where either good truck guns to "salvageable" components at least. I'm with more than my share of the Bubba-supreme Enfields - SMLE & Model '17; Springfield/Remington '03, mausers, 96 & 98 iterations.
I do particularly concur that the Sears Model 50 'was' a sleeper for ages! Now, not so much based on in-crowd as here, attention & climbing prices. The Husqvarna series in classic FN mauser 640 series and 1600 small ring actions as yet sometimes in bargain territory! In terms of "truck guns", I see an entirely legitimate category; the term descriptively put! Just a lot of strong, moderate abuse capable, not to worry about minor scrapes & scratches as integral to use. For me such as the '17 Enfield, as 'tamed' with 'trimming, heavy around the ears' smile and maybe replacing the circumcised military stock, if offensive! "Celebrating" ('in-term') cock on closing simplicity/ruggedness, five round "distended belly" magazine; big solid, mammy-jammy action! Truck guns with absolutely their legitimate place in the world of rifles; practical side!

Moving to the interesting Doumolin mauser action listing. Reading the advisory, with red flags. To me, picturing an unfinished action itself. Such differing from expectation associated with purchasing such as a FN action in fifties era. The "D" action with considerable recommended work, beyond barrel fitment. In many ways paralleling blueprinting the action, but more extensively and moving beyond! The net caveat inferring an 'action in the rough'. A 'by the way...' concerning feed rails and feed ramp, exemplary. But adding squaring not just receiver face and "lapping" lugs into full contact. Bolt face too! I take such cautions collectively as reflecting actions themselves considerably "semi-finished". Such well beyond barrel 'fitment' and requiring considerable additional skilled/precision machine work.
Net, net here, an 'informed' "be careful what you wish for"!

A great thread here Gentlemen and perhaps to suggest sme of the more obtuse actions as good candidate sporters, as is or reinvented! My contribution the quality Schultz Models 60, 65 & 68; aft locking bolt rifles!

Best& Stay Safe!
John

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
+1 for a JC Higgins m50/51. FN m98 action. Modern metallurgy/alloy. No thumb slot in back rail (stiffer for the Higgins. Well made, nice!y finished. Add A Timney trigger. Reasonable money for a quality action.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would pick any of these... Brno ZG-47, G33-40, Brno Model 21

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If I was going to do a full blown build I'd only consider some of the premium actions. For myself that would be a post ww1 oberndorf or one of the czech actions mentioned. Everything else will cost the same and starting with one of the "best" actions will be a small incremental cost in the overall project. I actually think starting with a pre 64 action would be cheaper in the long run than the run of the mill actions that require upgrades to the safety/trigger/bm, etc.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
If I remember correctly, one of the guys here built a handful of customs on Turk 98 actions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

318 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 16penny, 260Remguy, 48 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,686
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.