Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Mine was very easy going, but she did once school an Airedale that thought he'd come into our yard and act a bit too sporty for her taste.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not really a dog person, but my wife has had a bunch of miniature Schnauzers. They are great little dogs. The individual dogs each have their own personality.
This last one was found at the local pound. about a year old. We have had him for 5 years. Has a bunch of toys and knows them all by name. If you send him for one, that is the one he will bring back.

Had some separation anxiety when we first got him, but much better now.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How much do standards typically weigh?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
How much do standards typically weigh?

My first, Buster weighed about 60 pounds.

Bandit, of the same bloodline weighs about 70.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Don’t know how relevant this is but I have a half dachshund/miniature schnauzer. Best dog I’ve ever owned. He’s a 5 year old fat blob but he doesn’t shed, takes a savage beating from my little daughter and NEVER gets nasty with her.

He’s a fantastic watchdog and fears nothing. He squared off to a 300+ blackbear this spring. Retarded perhaps but we love him.

He gives a different alert for critters in the yard vs people as well. Couldn’t ask for more.

Horrible breath...ymmv

GOD Bless America
IC B2

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Forgot to mention...as he’s 100% German he doesn’t acknowledge Poland, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Austria or parts of Russia as independent nations.

Hard to argue with that

GOD Bless America
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A lady found that her Schnauzer could hardly hear, so she took it to the veterinarian.

The vet found the problem was hair in the dog's ears. He cleaned both ears, and the dog could then hear fine. The vet proceeded to tell Andrea that, if she wanted to keep this from recurring, she should go to the store and get some "Nair" hair remover, and rub it in the dog's ears once a month.

Andrea went to the store and bought some "Nair" hair remover. At the register, the pharmacist told her, "If you're going to use this under your arms, don't use deodorant for a few days."

Andrea said, "I'm not using it under my arms."

The pharmacist said, "If you're using it on your legs, don't use body lotion for a couple of days."

Andrea replied, "I'm not using it on my legs either. If you must know, I'm using it on my Schnauzer."

The pharmacist says, "Well, don’t ride your bicycle for about a week."

M
M
My wife has had 7 Miniature Schnauzers over the past 30 years and wouldn't consider any other breed.......just great little dogs dressed in big dog coats....great travellers.....no shedding and can be great watchdogs although the last remaining one doesn't bark at all even when someone comes to the door.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Mac84
Golden doodle. Great temperament, no shedding and super friendly but will bark at anything and anyone that comes up the driveway.

Maybe not. Very expensive and you still have a 25% chance it will be a shedder if 50/50. Then you are stuck. Unless you are a totally heartless bastid! smile
Same with Labradoodles.

Odds improve if they are 75% poodle, of course, like my brother's, which is a non-shedder and maybe the gentlest dog I've ever met, Big sucker too!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
We have a miniature schnauzer and yorkie mix. Great dog and amazing with my 3 year old and 1 year old kids. Only problem is when he gets out of the yard or scoots through an open door. Once he is out he is out until he decides he is ready to come in. Usually not a problem but we were at the inlaws and my 3 year old let him out when we were about to load up and head home. 2 hours later the dog finally came in and we loaded up and left.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 8 year old son tackles, and wrestles with, our 8 month old standard and the pup does great. He fights back, but shows good control. He's not a pushover though.

My 3 year old daughter lays on the dog and covers him with things, and he is really good with her too.

There were several reasons why we chose a standard, based on reputation, and so far all of it has been spot on. And some of the negatives! But overall, very happy with this breed so far, based on this one pup. Seriously considering another standard pup, once he turns 1 year old.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Unteroffizier Josef Heinzeller was a fan, his nickname for his wife was also the name of his favorite dog “Schnauzl”, I believe this photo is from the summer of 1940 in France.

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/germany/aircrafts-2/bf_109/bf109e-3-jg3-josef-heinzeller/

As best I can gather Unteroffizier Heinzeller was KIA in 1945, he did become an Ace, dunno how many.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Golden doodle. Great temperament, no shedding and super friendly but will bark at anything and anyone that comes up the driveway.

I live 2 mins away from a large recreation area and walk there every day with my PP sometimes twice. I've met hundreds of dogs there and walked 1000s of kms over the last 7 years. Many of those dogs were doodles. There were all very nice dogs but only 2 of them were not absolute un-ruley goons around other dogs, jumping and pulling going wild trying to get closer to my dog. My guy would fight with a dog like that so I don't stop and let them play.

Based on my experience with the mix, they would be about near the bottom of the list of dogs I would own. Doesn't make sense eith as the poodle and the golden separately are calm dogs generally.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SuperCub

I live 2 mins away from a large recreation area and walk there every day with my PP sometimes twice. I've met hundreds of dogs there and walked 1000s of kms over the last 7 years. Many of those dogs were doodles. There were all very nice dogs but only 2 of them were not absolute un-ruley goons around other dogs, jumping and pulling going wild trying to get closer to my dog. My guy would fight with a dog like that so I don't stop and let them play.

Based on my experience with the mix, they would be about near the bottom of the list of dogs I would own. Doesn't make sense eith as the poodle and the golden separately are calm dogs generally.

I haven’t been impressed with them either.

Most likely crappy parent lines combined with crappy owners. If the males are any indication most look like they were fixed way to early on the advice of politically correct veterinarians. None were good for anything but dragging their owners around.

Good parent lines, dogs raised right, could be great dogs.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Still looking after our mutt passed a few months ago. Our needs are alarm dog (at least), grandkid friendly and minimal to zero hair shedding. Schnauzers seem to sort of fit. Can anyone recommend these or something else I should be looking at? Thanks!

I absolutely adore them.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ltppowell
If you want an addition to the family, they can be one. If you are looking for a dog that is okay left alone...no.

True.

You must embrace their amazing.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Fireball2
LOVE THEM! Had two. Would hunt anything. Game for anything. I'd look at Scotty dogs too. They're pretty fun.

Quite the endorsement.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Daughter has two young mini’s and they are characters . We love them

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Golden doodle's are not dogs.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
My boss raised Schnauzer's. Two of them were fighting, he lost a middle finger, breaking up a fight! Couldn't count well after that.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 1234, 45 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,104
Posts18,502,164
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.