Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15495833 12/07/20
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was about 9 I started shooting in a trap league with my dad and some of his friends. Kept up on that league as it moved to 3 different trap locations.

Guy on the team was a HS Chem teacher. Raised pheasants and GSP's.

Was the ultimate example of a "Gentleman Outdoorsman" - very nice to everyone, just a gentleman - best word I can describe.

He passed away this week. Just hitting me for a loop. He was a friend, even tho he had 30 years on me for age.

How many of us have "outdoor friends" well outside the normal group/age here? I mean I was hunting pheasants and treated as a peer from him at a young age, I'm thinking that the outdoors seems to have that happen more often than say Hockey or Baseball.

Just damn. Rest in Peace George, you are definitely the model we should all aspire to be, both as a person and outdoorsman.

Me

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
A lot of my friends growing up were 50 and 60 years older than me.

Sorry about your friend.

Last edited by Jim_Conrad; 12/07/20.

I am MAGA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sorry Teal, it sounds like you had a real connection to the man. RIP

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm in my mid 60's. My dad and other mentors are long gone. Now I'm the old guy with a couple of younger friends that I have mentored. I'm humbled because they occasionally thank me. Time marches on........

Condolences on the loss of you friend and mentor.

Last edited by RS308MX; 12/07/20.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Guy who got me into reloading and shooting was close to my Dad’s age. We became very good friends and spent a lot of time together. He passed several years ago and is still missed. I have a few buddies who have friends they have developed who are old enough to be their grandfather. Fairly common with outdoor related activities in my experience.

Sorry for your loss.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Sorry Teal, it sounds like you had a real connection to the man. RIP

yeah - just when you're a kid - highschool, the older guys that treated you like equals really sticks.

Now I'm in my 40's and still seems weird.

Me

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Had some friends 25 plus years older than me, but they’re gone.

NRA Patron
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sorry to read this today, Teal.... Of the 8-9 guys I have shaken dice with for the coffee bill every weekday, only two are left.. And I'm still the youngest at 72..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry for your loss, Teal. That's a tough one to deal with.

One of my closest friends is about half my age and we're pretty tight. Talk about all kinds of stuff, from health, to women, to jobs. I'm almost 52 and he's 28. Our main interest in common, other than work, ( we're in the same trade) is fishing. He's a fishing fanatic and knowing him has rekindled my interest on it to the point where I have dropped a lot of money on equipment in the last couple of years.

It's worth every penny and I think I get more out of knowing him than he does me.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
George was a Norman Rockwell/Outdoor Life painting of a Sportsman.

George S.

Me

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Damn....he weren't that old.

My dad's 75.

Sounds like a nice guy.

I am MAGA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Teal
George was a Norman Rockwell/Outdoor Life painting of a Sportsman.

George S.

Wow, that was indeed a life well lived.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I had several, when I was young, of course they were older. Now some close to my age, some much younger.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Teal;
Good morning to you sir, I hope that other than the loss of your friend and mentor that you and yours are well.

Please accept my condolences and as well know that my thoughts and prayers are with the friends and family left behind.

Very much so, your point about the hunting and shooting community crossing age barriers has been my experience as well.

As I've mentioned in the past, I was taught to shoot handguns by 3 seniors, one a WWII Canadian Army vet who was a paraplegic from his service and a retired BC Provincial Policeman/Conservation Officer and his wife. Now the former BC Police/CO had also represented Canada at Bisley a few times and he was the "main" instructor, but the other two were so supportive both in tuning my technique and lending me their superb High Standard Target pistols when my capabilities began to exceed what the inexpensive German SA revolver would do.

Then too the chap that took the time to show me how to rust blue, checker, inlet stocks and a few other "tricks" was much older than me and died way too young as well as a reloading and gun trading buddy.

Indeed as my wife sometimes reminds me, now I've taken on the role of the "quirky old guy with interesting stuff" at the range! wink

Anyways sir, again condolences and yes I think your observation is correct.

All the best to you folks as we head into the Christmas Season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Sorry to hear about your friend.

I have several friends that are quite a bit older than I. Doesn’t change the facts.

Truly sorry for your loss.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teal

yeah - just when you're a kid - highschool, the older guys that treated you like equals really sticks.

Now I'm in my 40's and still seems weird.

Sorry for your loss Teal.

I'm seeing the same thing at 53... All those guys that treated me like an adult when I was just a kid, are all quickly going away. Of the ones still living most are near 80 or older. Every year it seems, one or two of the guys that had a big impact on me outside of my own Dad are dying. Some were uncles, close family friends etc.. Nothing we can do about it, because it part of life but it sure makes you appreciate them while they are still alive.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I knew a bunch of guys that worked w my dad.
Factory town, good jobs...lots of hunters and shooters. Used to shoot a lot at the Izaak Walton League.
They're all gone except for my dad, and he proly going soon (aint lookin good).

Now I am one of the "old guys". Kids I see at the LGS, the shoots, club............25 yrs from now I'll be gone.

Maybe one them will remember our shooting/chats and reflect w a smile.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Real friends are few, they aint that FB crap.

But, ya gotta look at it this way (IMHO), it hurts to lose em. But how much would it hurt to have never known them?

Be thankful for the blessing of them enriching your life smile

Last edited by hookeye; 12/07/20.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm sorry for your loss. Death of good friends is the cost of a life well lived, and it hurts every time. Best wishes. You are lucky.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm 80 now, almost all the people I used to know are gone. I just lost a close friend who died suddenly of a heart attack at age 62, I sure miss him.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (204guy, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,801
Posts18,496,314
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.