Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Not a misnomer, but a common misuse. "If you have any questions, contact Bob or myself". How the hell can anyone contact myself? They can contact me, but not myself.

Along those same non-misnoner lines, there is the ever-increasing misuse of "I". Somehow, people think that saying I instead of me is more intelligent, even when it is blatantly wrong. I is a subject pronoun, and me is an object pronoun.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Valsdad
T,

I'm with you, I'm leaving one, not taking one.

Personally I prefer malapropisms to misnomers.

And a "Coke" is a Coke (tm) not a generic term for a soda..................and there is no "pop" attached to the soda word.............it's just a soda.

Oh but there is a "pop" when that sumbitch freezes in your car and leaves a huge mess

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"I" is correct in sentences such as "Bob is taller than I." That's because it is an incomplete sentence, the full version being "Bob is taller than I am." We often leave off the "am" but it is there nonetheless.

I am appalled at the rampantly incorrect usage of "me" as in "Me and my family went to Disneyland." You can tell it is wrong if you just leave out the "and my family" and see that you would not say "Me went to Disneyland."

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Flammable vs. inflammable.

Mispronunciations:

Nu-Cu-Lar instead of Nu-clear

Ath-a-lete instead of Ath-lete.

Texan talk:

Clont instead of client.

Wha instead of why.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The worst offender, IMO: calling the US a "democracy", and pretending it is a "democracy." Or pretending that a President is "elected" by a "democratic vote."

The US is a constitutional republic. In other words, it is a nation founded upon and based upon a written law, written at its founding.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some insist on calling a magazine a clip. Still.

"real a tor" for Realtor.

Worst of the lot: "Calvary" for cavalry.

Last edited by jnyork; 12/08/20.

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

AXE me question? Do I have to chop up a few words. (Ebonics)

In Ireland a vacuum cleaner is a hoover, a cooker (Pronounced kuker) is a stove top.
What is ekspecially?

In southern Manitoba, a Liberal is a losing politician. Should be a universal thing.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why is every motorhome, camper trailer and 5th wheel called a Winnebago?

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Pickup vs a truck. Huge difference.

Ya, like when folks refer to wheels as rims. I almost bought a set off a guy one time, but he used the wrong term so I shidt in his mailbox and told everyone I knew he was retarded.

MAGA
N
N
Originally Posted by jnyork
Some insist on calling a magazine a clip. Still.

"real a tor" for Realtor.

Worst of the lot: "Calvary" for cavalry.

My pops was in the Cavalry (Garryowen) out of Ft. Hood...I remember losing it on a few people because of this.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

I am appalled at the rampantly incorrect usage of "me" as in "Me and my family went to Disneyland." You can tell it is wrong if you just leave out the "and my family" and see that you would not say "Me went to Disneyland."

I seen that error many times. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
Had an English lass comment "I want to get screwed tonight"

Funny look on my face I guess - she followed it up with "That's drunk to you Yanks".

Damn - another one that got away!...

Did you tell her she had a nice fanny? In South Africa my wife referred to the sports sack around her waist as a "fanny pack" which amused the PH's a bit. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"I" is correct in sentences such as "Bob is taller than I." That's because it is an incomplete sentence, the full version being "Bob is taller than I am." We often leave off the "am" but it is there nonetheless.

I am thinking of "They visited Disneyland with my family and I".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's what I was taught, leave out the extra phrase (can't remember the proper teminology here, that's ironic) to tell if the correct pronoun is being used.

"Us fellows went to the store" vs. "We fellows went to the store". Us went to the store, we sent to the store.

Then there is the long standing rule to never end a sentence with a preposition.

Grammar anarchist: "Where are you going to?"
Grammar Nazi: "Never end a sentence with a preposition."
Grammar anarchist: "As you wish. Where are you going to, ass hole?"

wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a friend who is a real gun-term nazi. Fun to tell him I am gonna go buy more clips for my assault rifle and watch his blood pressure rise

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Just for fun, what are some popular misnomers that you notice or ones that maybe irrationally upset you? Maybe something regional that is odd from your AO?

"Rakers" on chainsaw chains, they're called "depth gauges" as they do not perform a raking function.

"Bubbler" or pronounced "Bub-lah" for drinking fountain...that one is an oddity to me.

"Buggy" for a shopping cart? For a guy from rural PA, a buggy is a thing the Amish drive about.

Post some up here for discussion.

side-bet...how long before the thread goes astray and people are calling each other names? <20 post, I'd wager.

"Spent shell casing". To me, it's a fired cartridge case. Also, "bullets" when it should be ammunition.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Saying someone is "ignorant" when describing a "rude" person, rather than someone who is uneducated. "Oh, she's so ignorant." Translation: "Oh, she's so rude." And it's usually pronounced ignurnt. TikkaNut will know of what I speak.

Last edited by Utahunter; 12/08/20.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Worked with a female Detective that would use the terms
SPENT SHELL CASING for a fired catridge case and
UNSPENT SHELL CASING for a live live round of ammunition.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does calling the M1 Garand a Ga-RAND fall under this subject?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[

"Spent shell casing". To me, it's a fired cartridge case. Also, "bullets" when it should be ammunition.
[/quote]...... Drives me nuts when people refer to ammo as bullets. Rant over.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (300_savage, 35, BallisticBRYAN, Akhutr, 338reddog, 9 invisible), 1,378 guests, and 837 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,208
Posts18,503,884
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.