Print Thread
Hop To
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Good pard of mine loves to bow hunt blacktail. Did a buncha pre season scoutin, had several good bucks on the hit list. First week of season, “first week of September “ he had one of the better bucks comin in he had on trail. 20 yard shot, buck ducked at the shot and hit high. Searched for a couple days, very little blood, never recovered it, he was sick, as most of us are In such a situation. First pick is his trail cam pic, look close you can see the fletching...
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Weeks passed, he looked for birds, smelled, searched more, nothing, September, October and November passed, December comes along, low and behold, he shows up on cam again. He’s got to the 31st of December, hopefully he kills him.so far he’s been nocturnal. Hopefully he slips up.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Arrow stuck in the spine? Or that’s what kept from pass - thru.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Dunno for sure, he’s got 6”-8” of arrow and a G5 Stryker in him somewhere

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yeah they’re tough!

Buck i shot this year ran straight up a damn steep hill. Leaking the whole time.

Camp is where you make it.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
bucks sometimes are dam tuff and just won`t die, must be from all the horn rubbin,fight`n and running or just sex nuts ? the buck i shot this year with my 257 W.mag i blew the heart too pieces at 100 yards,4 inch hole other side ,buck ran 50 yards,stood there and bled out and fell over the other way stone dead. seen bucks shot with an arrow with a sharpen Zwickey broadhead go thru the center of the lungs run and go 75 yards stand there and then just tip over dead. yep bucks are dang tuff and sometimes just lucky,its a game of inches for a bowhunter.good luck with the next buck,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
They're completely unpredictable.
They're an animal. I've had them drop like a
rock in their tracks, and some run 30 yards
with no vitals. I've shot a couple with arrows
through and through that barely flinched and
continued to walk several shaky steps while
spewing blood and they just slowly sank to
the ground as if going to sleep with no struggle
Best thing I've found is to stay quiet and not
do any victory dance or rebel yell and watch
it a few minutes if you can. There may be
another shot opportunity come along shortly
if you can stay quiet and stealthy

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
^Agree with that.

That's a very nice buck!

I shot a buck with a 12 gauge foster slug a few years back. It was in a slow run towards me.. at 15 yards it saw me and cut hard to its left. Slug was a pass through that clipped the top of the heart and blew pink lung out the other side for 8 or 10 feet. The hole through the deer look like it was drilled out of him. Like you could push a broomstick through it. Anyway that buck ran at a full speed over 300 yd and then fell over dead. WTH!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shot a mule deer doe twice with 6.5 cm 143 eld x this year. She made it 100 yards. Destroyed lungs and top of heart.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am continuously amazed at how tough they are. Every once in a while I'll be butchering something and find bullets from years past, covered up in scar tissue and callouses. Usually in a shoulder or brisket, but they can be about anywhere. I've found two arrow shanks lodged in elk spines, with broadheads still on them. I'd think that every time they moved, the broadhead would chew up some more meat/nerves and then of course the infection that would follow, but whatever.....I've seen deer and elk both dragging broken hind legs that had "healed" after being hit by cars or whatever else, and they're still chasing the winmminz'.

That's not to mention all the pellets I have found in deer (and one bear) over the years from jackasses peppering them while they were (I assume) bird hunting.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Shot a buck a few days ago with the 300 Wby and he didnt flinch. Jumped a fence and ran a good way. Had a club back foot and missing 1 eye. Shot a doe today in the shoulder with a 30-06 and she went at least 100 yards. Both were torn up inside something terrible. Don't know how they do it.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you don’t knock out the valves at the arteries just above the heart you can blow the heart into pieces and they can run on energy until the blood in the brain leaks out the return path. Shoot them 2/3rd the way up the shoulder and they fold like a pancake but you ruin a bunch of meat.

2 - tuff SOB’s I’ve experienced

1). Shot a Missouri 8 point and found a 7mm slug in his hip.. well healed at least a year old.

2). I had a arrow deflect off a branch and it pierced a Doe in the lion of her back maybe 4” down and it was 1/2 way through the deer, she simply spun here head around and grab the arrow with her teeth and pulled it the rest of the way out and went on her way. Darnedest thing I’ve ever seen.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 12/06/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check out this video starting @about the 7 minute mark. They shoot a buck that has a crossbow bolt stuck in his neck

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did not get to do a personal exam, but talked with a dad who's kid had a mule deer rut hunt tag and scored a pretty good one. Said there were punctures, wounds, and puss pockets all over the front third of his kill.

Also got to witness about a 10 minute nocturnal fight between two fine bucks this fall from only yards away. They are not gentle animals. Also saw several bucks with blood on their antlers.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The most violent and bloody fight I have ever seen was 2 mature mule deer bucks on the Greenhorn in Colorado. It went on for nearly 20 minutes and would swear neither could survive that fight.

It honestly looked like 2 people had 5 gallon buckets flinging blood. I'll never know if either survived but I'd sure loose money on a bet if one of them did.

The first mule deer I ever killed had one of the old time long broad heads and a couple inches of cedar shafts stuck in his shoulder. He seemed fine until he wasn't.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
One of my hunting buddies shot a large whitetail buck and had him drop like a rock. At some point while he was out of sight of the deer on his approach the buck jumped up and took off unseen. He looked for sign and did a grid search in all the logical directions to no avail. He was sick about it as this was by far the largest buck he’d ever had an opportunity to take. He felt bad thinking the deer may still be suffering. About 10 days later my buddy saw the same buck chasing does and was able to get a killing shot on him. Upon recovery it was discovered that his original shot had hit the no mans land below the spine but above the back of the lungs/in front of the liver. He had a sizable hole blown through him from a 150 gr ballistic tip that was oozing pussy nastiness. He had lost a tremendous amount of weight and aside from the rack didn’t even look like the same deer. That bugger was dying a slow death and he was still running himself ragged trying to breed does.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That is a very nice Blacktail and I hope he kills it.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Buddy boiled out his archery deer skull and found a broadhead buried in the nasal cavity from at least last fall, who knows how long ago.

I can remember a national news story from sometime in probably the early 80's about a duck with an arrow through it that had taken up residence in some city pond. Could still eat and fly, but had the spit-skewer permanently installed.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by strosfann
One of my hunting buddies shot a large whitetail buck and had him drop like a rock. At some point while he was out of sight of the deer on his approach the buck jumped up and took off unseen. He looked for sign and did a grid search in all the logical directions to no avail. He was sick about it as this was by far the largest buck he’d ever had an opportunity to take. He felt bad thinking the deer may still be suffering. About 10 days later my buddy saw the same buck chasing does and was able to get a killing shot on him. Upon recovery it was discovered that his original shot had hit the no mans land below the spine but above the back of the lungs/in front of the liver. He had a sizable hole blown through him from a 150 gr ballistic tip that was oozing pussy nastiness. He had lost a tremendous amount of weight and aside from the rack didn’t even look like the same deer. That bugger was dying a slow death and he was still running himself ragged trying to breed does.

Had this exact same scene play out for one of the guys at the camp in Mississippi. Only the original guy didn't kill him. Walking down a pipeline, deer busted out the woods and charged. He basically shot him at the hip. The rack was a nice 10 point, but everything else was a nasty mess. 5 days after original shot.

Shooting a deer is like shooting a coiled spring.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 3,276 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,711
Posts18,534,893
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.