-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What is the The number one Hunting GPS App for your smart phone and why do you like the one your using?

Mind you I am a caveman when it come to new technology so the simpler the better for me.

Thanks

Tracy

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like OnX but haven’t tried any others. My friends all use it and we share locations, etc. The land ownership records seem to be very accurate.

------------------------
John
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I would guess onX is most popular, but like jmh3 haven't used any others. I got it on a Garmin GPS several years ago, but Eileen got the onX app on her smart-phone this year, because her old GPS gave up the ghost. We both really like it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I used the Trimble app for several years until the company decided to get out of that business. Now I'm using the onX and love it. I'm also very much cavemanish, but had no problem figuring out with a little help from my hunt pards.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had onX went to BaseMap for the full US property ownership for the same yearly cost of 1 state on onX. Not a whole lot of difference between the two, both take forever to refresh without a cell signal even using offline maps, in my experience.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by taz4570
I used the Trimble app for several years until the company decided to get out of that business. Now I'm using the onX and love it. I'm also very much cavemanish, but had no problem figuring out with a little help from my hunt pards.

I had that one, it was originally Cabela's Recon Hunt and I really liked that one. I was using the free Huntstand app, it's pretty good. You can create a camp and invite the other members and everyone can see your points, photos and other info. If you foot the bill for the pro version you can get the private land info, various other maps, including 3D maps.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I use Gaia. Got turned on to it by my cousin who works for USGS. It’s what they use.

There’s some pretty lengthy & detailed threads around the internet comparing Gaia to OnX and others. Worth seeking out.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have and prefer Gaia. To me the interface when choosing and interacting with layers is more user friendly than OnX.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have both & both work well, depending on what you need today, or tomorrow.............& like the best for a given need / situation.

MM

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In Canada, you will want the IHunter app. Has lots of great features. Not avail for every province...yet.
Jeff

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
HuntStand works pretty good.
GreggH

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by GreggH
HuntStand works pretty good.
GreggH

I have this also

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
OnX and Huntstand are both good apps. OnX all the way for hunting out west and we use Huntstand for most of our whitetail hunting here in NY and PA.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not a gun writer, but for those wondering if the extra $ OnX charges for Alaska maps is worth it, that's a big yes from me so far. Of course, works great here in AZ.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Onx SD cards for my Garmin GPS was the first utility with landowner boundaries I became aware of, and so that is what I started with. I'd plug the Onx chip into my GPS, and "voila" I instantly knew where every little bit of public land was located. Knowing landowner boundaries was really helpful for walking around the forest bird hunting.

As Onx moved from providing SD cards to an actual mapping application, I stuck with it and am generally very happy with it. For remote areas without a cell phone signal, I'd download a map for that area, and use the app offline. It's always functioned great, for me. It's been super helpful for locating good elk micro habitat once I am in my hunting area. I have experimented a few other apps, but none were better than Onx for my use, so I haven't changed. Not saying the other apps were bad, just that there wasn't enough of an improvement to justify changing.

I think a lot of which app you like depends on what app you first started with. Its human nature to choose the known over the unknown. And, it takes some effort to learn a new interface, and if something is working for you, there's little motivation to go through a new learning curve.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

194 members (160user, 280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,343
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.