Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Got a doe yesterday, I cut one of the tarsals and emptied her bladder of urine into jar. The rut is over by a couple weeks. Any good to put it out when I hunt tomorrow or will it do more harm than good?

Semper Fi

GB1

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Best put some Everclear in there or it will go bad quickly.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Won’t hurt to put it out

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Should be a good cover scent if nothing else

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by haverluk
Got a doe yesterday, I cut one of the tarsals and emptied her bladder of urine into jar. The rut is over by a couple weeks. Any good to put it out when I hunt tomorrow or will it do more harm than good?

Every heard of Post Rut ? I've seen a spotted fawn in December some years back.

Bucks DON'T get out of the mood !

Does that don't conceive repeat in 28 days.

Bucks prowl looking, smelling for those missed.

It will NOT hurt and could very well be just what the Dr. Ordered.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
In PA I can tell you from the cameras that the buck movement has drastically slowed down. But like others have said it can’t hurt.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Same here Ken. Lots of November there was a spike, 8 or one of the two 10’s in the yard most nights on the cam. Now it is just the does and the kids here. If there is a secondary rut, you sure wouldn’t think so from what I see. Being fringe urban, nobody bothers the deer and the buck to doe ratio is really good from what I can tell. It should be 28 days since the peak November rut here. Unless the OP’s tarsals are black from estrus urine, I suspect that they will be just furry patches of deer hair.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
I've seen a spotted fawn in December some years back.

Bucks DON'T get out of the mood !

Bucks prowl looking, smelling for those missed.

I found this 'baby' on Aug 15, 22018

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Momma was across the fence in the brush. It was born the night before OR that morning. Still wobbly.
I put it across the fence and left. I turner around 200 yds away and Mamma came out and got with it.

Rut is over - means peak of the rut but the rut cycles and cycles in UNbred Does.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jerry, you guys down south seem to have a lot more deer than we do up here in the frozen north. It is probably more the natural selection of the late birth fawns up here being too small to survive a harsh early winter. With a six month gustation period, that doe was probably bred in February. The May born doe fawns of the year don’t normally have their first estrus cycle until December up here in the north. If the buck to doe ratio is too large, then all the does don’t get bred during their first estrus period.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Windfall

Yes sir. We are talking the same principle.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Follow Up:

The peak of the rut is over in our area.

Yet, this afternoon I saw and stopped a buck who was trailing a doe. She came out of the brush and crossed an opening. Her tail was straight out as she trotted across the opening. I got ready because I suspected 'something' was following her.
He was about 2 minutes behind her. I whooped and he stopped. I got the scope on him and he was 'middlin' and nothing I wanted to shoot. I'm looking for 1 of a few really good bucks I've seen this fall.

Today is 12-14, I only saw 1 other deer about 30 minutes before these 2.
He was still 'horny' and trailing a re-cycling doe.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

The bucks are on the move here and now, from now till Christmas will be the peak of the rut, but there are always early and late doe's, counted 21 does & bucks behind the house tonight playing ring around the rosy. Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
News flash, none of it matters. It's just a way to get you to spend money. Timing is everything, that is set by your state game agency.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Recap - No money was spent. I cut the them off a doe that I killed... Was asking more of a help or harm question. I don't buy scents.

In the last week I used the tarsals of the first doe I shot on Monday. Tarsals were still dark and stank. Nothing happened. Good or bad.

Shot a doe on Wednesday. with the same result. Her tarsals were a little less dark with less odor.

Shot a doe on Saturday. Tarsals were not dark and did not have odor.

Did not see one buck all week. Did it help?... not definitively this time but it did not spook the does that passed through. Three sets of tarsals were used this week each for a day or two before they were discarded. The does did not really approach or respond to the tarsals and it did not draw in a buck. Will continue the experiment. We have a weak second rut some years here. The next week or two should be that time and provide some more "data."

Semper Fi

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think it makes sense to experiment and see what happens. You’ll have your answer. Me personally, I make every attempt to never alert a deer to my presence, especially for mature bucks. Keep us posted.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,473
Posts18,471,466
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.