Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
keith Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
tires are getting in short supply, so is Al, plywood. Anyone have any idea why?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All wood products are short because of the boom in residential construction. I hadn’t heard of any tire shortages. Aluminum is mostly imported, my guess is parts of China are still shut down but the government is keeping it quiet .

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
We are having a hard time getting plumbing parts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Plywood - record DIY sales. People are cooped up at home, no where to go. May as well remodel. Mild winter has housing starts still strong. It's being sold as soon as it hits the shelf and at record prices.

Last week there were 20 ships anchored off LA/Long Beach from Asia - ready to unload. There's finite capacity to do so, not even talking about COVID reductions in capacity due to illness. The spot rate on a box from China to the West Coast is about 3800 bucks, it's doubled since June. Spot rates from China to Europe are up 30% over the same time. It's 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag and price is how you make sure you're in the bag. 3800 is base rate, it's really costing about 6k to get a container, single container, from China to the West Coast right now.

Right now, there's 40k less drivers available for work than there were in January due to the drug clearinghouse. High insurance rates have also taken carriers out of the market.

Rejection rates from shippers to carriers - 25% nationally right now. 1 in 4 loads offered to carriers at contract prices are being turned back to the shipper. Carrier either has better paying freight from someone else or they don't have the truck to move it even if they wanted it. That's been above 20% the last 130 days straight. Some markets are as high as 70% rejection. I know of one load that moved 400 miles and the shipper paid 11,000 dollars to do so.

Ocean shipments are up 12% yoy, with volume of containers up 63.9% - realize that for a March/April - almost nothing was moving. Amazon alone has done 17.1 thousand containers in the last 30 days - imported to the US. 13.5k of those hit LA and Long Beach alone.

There's a ton of freight - it's the greatest bull run I've ever seen and capacity, absolute capacity can't keep up for a myriad of reasons.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I bought a sheet of 7/16 OSB for $23. Less than a year ago it cost about 7 or $8.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
It's all so complicated, hard to figure out the domestic softwood market. There is so much burn salvage timber on the market now...that log prices to the mills are down dramatically...but prices at the lumber yard are up?? WTF?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Hurricane damage rebuild construction and Fires out west. Increased demand. Hurricanes knocked down a lot of trees that would have been cut for lumber and plywood.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have heard that as well.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal
Plywood - record DIY sales. People are cooped up at home, no where to go. May as well remodel. Mild winter has housing starts still strong. It's being sold as soon as it hits the shelf and at record prices.

Last week there were 20 ships anchored off LA/Long Beach from Asia - ready to unload. There's finite capacity to do so, not even talking about COVID reductions in capacity due to illness. The spot rate on a box from China to the West Coast is about 3800 bucks, it's doubled since June. Spot rates from China to Europe are up 30% over the same time. It's 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag and price is how you make sure you're in the bag. 3800 is base rate, it's really costing about 6k to get a container, single container, from China to the West Coast right now.

Right now, there's 40k less drivers available for work than there were in January due to the drug clearinghouse. High insurance rates have also taken carriers out of the market.

Rejection rates from shippers to carriers - 25% nationally right now. 1 in 4 loads offered to carriers at contract prices are being turned back to the shipper. Carrier either has better paying freight from someone else or they don't have the truck to move it even if they wanted it. That's been above 20% the last 130 days straight. Some markets are as high as 70% rejection. I know of one load that moved 400 miles and the shipper paid 11,000 dollars to do so.

Ocean shipments are up 12% yoy, with volume of containers up 63.9% - realize that for a March/April - almost nothing was moving. Amazon alone has done 17.1 thousand containers in the last 30 days - imported to the US. 13.5k of those hit LA and Long Beach alone.

There's a ton of freight - it's the greatest bull run I've ever seen and capacity, absolute capacity can't keep up for a myriad of reasons.

This is what I'm seeing as well. Containers are not moving out of the ports, not just because of a lack of trucks and container chassis, but because there's not enough storage / handling / shipping / transit capacity away from the docks. Nowhere the put the boxes. I normally pay in the $ 2.00 a mile range to haul feed in from Indiana, last month one quote was nearly $6.00 a mile.

My thought is that people used to spend about 30 to 40% of their income on entertainment (travel, sports, dining out, movies, etc). Little of that is being spent, so people have money to buy STUFF. And stuff takes trucks, and boats and planes, and there are no trucks to be had. Driver pay is shooting up for the first time in a decade, with drivers with good, solid, accident free records are asking and getting pay packages well above $80K per year. Top guys are doing over 100K a year.

And don't even talk to me about airfreight. I've got an airfreight shipment coming in on Friday from Asia, we usually pay $7 to 8K, this one will come in at over 20.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I bought a sheet of 7/16 OSB for $23. Less than a year ago it cost about 7 or $8.

I was planning on building a barn/shop/shed next summer, but at the current prices of building supplies I'm gonna put that project on hold, unless prices come down.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Pretty sure most of the OSB comes from somewhere in Canada, like right near my house, but for a short time there wasn't any available. Then it was 35 bucks a sheet, up from 8 bucks a few years ago, a 2x4 is 8 bucks.
All projects for me are on hold till they get their shyte together.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Right now, there's 40k less drivers available for work than there were in January due to the drug clearinghouse.

I'm not familiar with the drug clearinghouse, what does that mean?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Everyone's heard the BS, China's going pay big tariffs and Mexico is going to pay for the wall. The fact is, US citizens are paying more for everything besides fuel, the common man is stuck in the middle and will carry the load.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by Teal

This is what I'm seeing as well. Containers are not moving out of the ports, not just because of a lack of trucks and container chassis, but because there's not enough storage / handling / shipping / transit capacity away from the docks. Nowhere the put the boxes. I normally pay in the $ 2.00 a mile range to haul feed in from Indiana, last month one quote was nearly $6.00 a mile.

My thought is that people used to spend about 30 to 40% of their income on entertainment (travel, sports, dining out, movies, etc). Little of that is being spent, so people have money to buy STUFF. And stuff takes trucks, and boats and planes, and there are no trucks to be had. Driver pay is shooting up for the first time in a decade, with drivers with good, solid, accident free records are asking and getting pay packages well above $80K per year. Top guys are doing over 100K a year.

And don't even talk to me about airfreight. I've got an airfreight shipment coming in on Friday from Asia, we usually pay $7 to 8K, this one will come in at over 20.

That's it - the COVID shut downs didn't affect those with the most discretionary income. Those people were still working from home. The swing in spending from services (restaurants/tourism) to goods has been massive.

If you're on LinkedIn - Kyle Lintner and Jason Miller are 2 good guys to follow. Or just K-Ratio on youtube for Kyle's monday talk about freight markets. Kyle's a smart dude.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KFWA
Right now, there's 40k less drivers available for work than there were in January due to the drug clearinghouse.

I'm not familiar with the drug clearinghouse, what does that mean?

So it used to be this:

Apply at Trucking company A - fail drug test and be denied.
Wait a few days, flush - apply at trucking company B - hired, go back to using

Now the failures are collected (data) and stored in the clearing house. Driver can't just hop from application to application till he/she pees clean. They have to apply for re-instatement after hitting some metrics on their hot test.

Overall something like 46k have failed and been put in the clearing house so companies know not to hire. Only about 4-6k have actually applied/done the work to get reinstated as a driver. So 40k drivers off the road at 100k loads a week on those drivers - that's a ton of capacity not available to move freight right now.

Freight rates in the spot market are supply/demand driven. There's a ton more demand than supply right now with difficulty adding supply.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Right now - I'm hearing that even trailer orders are WAY out there.

Order today -

Wabash is saying Nov 2021 for delivery, Hyundai Feb 2022, Strick is Dec 2021

Me

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I went into my local Lowes yesterday, and walked through the lumber section. 6 months or so ago, there was no treated lumber, and when they did get in a shipment, it was double or more that normal. Yesterday the store was fully stocked of lumber, and the prices were just about in the normal range. I didn't look close at plywood, but I didn't see any empty shelves.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
I went into my local Lowes yesterday, and walked through the lumber section. 6 months or so ago, there was no treated lumber, and when they did get in a shipment, it was double or more that normal. Yesterday the store was fully stocked of lumber, and the prices were just about in the normal range. I didn't look close at plywood, but I didn't see any empty shelves.

Prices weren't back to normal in my local Home Depot, but they were down very substantially from a month ago. 2x4 studs down by a little over $2.00. Encouraging.

That said, we have several businesses that have plans to move to town (from both coasts), and are delaying the move because there are no houses for the people they want to bring. No inventory. Nothing. And building was just about shut down with lumber prices, and now winter. Anyone that can strap on a tool belt at the end of February is going to be making bank.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Interestingly enough, the price being offered at the stump for timber is stupid low around here, I have a good dry tract of pines that my timber broker is having a hell of time moving, I got 2 bids that were down right stupid. Mills sure are not paying much for the raw material, but it looks like the finished lumber is through the roof. It seems that there is still a ton of uncut timber and that has the supply side with a glutted market. At least that is what is going on here in my part of Eastern NC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,622
Posts18,492,717
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.