Print Thread
Hop To
J
jrypka Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
So I decided with the recent sales I’d treat myself and upgrade the factory trigger on my REM R15 223. I found a Timney Impact AR 3 pound trigger on sale so I bought it. I’m not an AR aficionado but the swap out was surprisingly easy. I installed it and checked the pull weight. 4lbs. Hmm. Checked it a few more times. 4 lbs. Weird. Checked the box it came in and right on the front it says 3 pounds. Checked it a couple more times with the scale. 4 pounds. So I took a photo and short video and emailed them asking if there was a mistake with packaging or if I could return it to get it reworked or replaced with a 3 pound pull. Here was their response.

The Impact is advertised as 3-4lb trigger and is not set at an exact pull weight because the weight is set by polish and lap rather than a spring and screw. Some Impacts are 3.5 and others come out at 4.”

I sent them back an email thanking them for their response and my understanding that this was not a competition grade trigger and that my cheap-o wheeler pull scale could even be off a bit. But a 1 pound error in a 3 pound pull is off by 33%. Further I copied the following directly from their website.

Timney's engineers figured out a way to machine the parts from billet steel (no skimping with metal injection molding or stamped, old-school parts), assemble the triggers, and still hand-test this trigger by our trigger technicians at a price that you asked for - $149.99
The Impact will give you a crisp, clean, 3 pound break and will drop in to all Mil-Spec AR’s.”

I once again asked if there was a way to get a trigger with the advertised pull weight. I have not yet received a response.

Now, there is no doubt that this is an upgrade to what I had and at a reasonable price. In fact, had it been advertised as a 4 pound pull I might still have bought it. But when it says right on the box and website 3 pounds, then that is what I expect to get for my purchase, or at least something relatively close.

Again. Again. Again. -H. Brooks.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had several issues with Timney triggers and have attempted to get relief from them on several issues through their CS... I no longer buy them and only use a few.

I was told at the time they were in a rough patch due to a nasty divorce... but the rough patch lasted for quite a while after.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
That’s not good, but thanks for letting us know.

Last edited by dale06; 12/08/20.

NRA Patron
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I used Timneys for years with no complaints, but never their AR-15 Trigger. A good trigger is a good trigger. I have used many Rock River Two Stage National Match Triggers in competition AR-15's. People would try the trigger and say: What is that 6 ounces? I would show them that it would lift a 4 pound weight off of the table. If the trigger is great otherwise, I wouldn't get hung up over the weight. But, if the issue is with their advertising, that is another story.

For what it is worth, I quit competing in NRA Highpower a few years ago and am not 100% certain if we needed 4 pound or 4-1/2 pound trigger pulls to be legal. Either way that heavy trigger felt much lighter. I have seen many super light triggers that were wonder triggers - you wondered when they would go off - not crisp and clean.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
J
jrypka Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
k, update. After a day, I got an email from Jill at Timney and she said to box it up and send it back and they’ll get it as close to 3 pounds as possible. She also said that the description on the website is wrong and that will get updated to reflect the design of a 3-4 pound pull. So back it goes. I should have been a bit more patient and waited longer for a reply from Timney before posting.

Again. Again. Again. -H. Brooks.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't think you over reacted or reacted too early. Your post here may have hurried their response. It is good that they are going to clarify their advertising. Don't worry about it. You did a good thing.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Based on my experience about 6 weeks ago something is not the same at Timney. For years I've loved their product and their customer service. I purchased a M70 replacement trigger from them recently. Anytime I adjusted it below 3lbs it would fire on bolt close or when taking the rifle off safety. I called several times and all I could get was voicemail; I did leave messages and none of my calls were returned. Finally I found a form for asking questions on their website and I did hear back three days later. Trigger was sent in and returned but I have not installed it yet.

Also there is nothing on their site for adjustment instructions for the M70. The link that appears to be the right one gives an error and goes nowhere.

TriggerTech may be what I purchase from here on out as I'd rather no go thru all this again.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (35, 10Glocks, 24HourCampFireGuy50, BALLISTIK, Akhutr, 14 invisible), 1,266 guests, and 894 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,149
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.