Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by colvin

Very cool that you guys do this.I know it’s a single vs double thread , but could you tell me how guys do with their say 10mm’s in this drill. Thanks

This gathering is specifically for the shooting of revolvers. The host of the gathering invites the attendees as he deems fits, and determines the nature of the gathering. Generally speaking there is an annual gathering centered around when the 1911 was adopted into service, which is always a great one. Others are general social type shoots. The revolver shoot is often steeped in Elmer Keith tradition due to the fact that it is held in central Idaho and who attends.

To answer your question, most handgun shooters shoot semi autos more and obviously would turn in better times with a semi auto, with the exception of someone like Jerry Miculek. While there are some noteworthy shooters who attend, including grandmaster ranked shooters, a mix of current and retired professional gun carriers from organizations that do a considerable amount of firearms training, as well as a mix of pretty "regular" guys, none of us are Mr. Miculek. The point of the exercise is to test the shooters ability with their big bore revolver, shooting loads that would be appropriate to carry in bear country.

Thanks ..

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Craig is right. Knowing your gun and having it on you is probably the most important thing in any case. I recently read a horror story on another forum where a gentleman and his friend found themselves being attacked by a grizzly bear after killing a moose. I can't retell it quite right, so I'll just leave the link to the post here: https://thegreatwhitehunter.wordpress.com/the-longest-minute-terrifying-bear-attack/

Anyways these days I feel the whole "bear gun" debate is pretty played out. I think that probably every cartridge above a stout 10mm will do a more or less decent job on a bear provided proper shot placement. I've never understood guns like the big X-Frame S&Ws being marketed as "bear defense" guns. I'm thinking this was mostly a measure to make justifying a purchase of one to your wife seem a little bit more reasonable, as is the case with a lot of niche guns these days. It's hard to tell whether a bear that kept going after 6 rounds of .44 Magnum would have stopped after 10 rounds of 10mm and vice versa. Even worse when it turns into an emotional debate of "my gun better than your gun".

Originally Posted by jwp475

Bryce Towsley puts 5 rds of factory full power 454 Cassul on target at 5 yards with FA-83 in 2.88 seconds

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2014/7/15/video-the-454-casull-challenge/

To me this video always seemed like it kinda missed the point. You have all these guys trying for the gun to go bang 5 times with less of an emphasis on actually hitting the target. Especially the last two were pretty bad offenders with Mr Draper doing the best out of all of them.

You might also want to take this post with a grain of salt as the only "bear" I've encountered in the wild was a raccoon (which we call wash-bear here) wink I did kill a boar with my .454 Casull at ~15ft last year, though, but that's another story.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Depends.

Bob Munden wasnt always the most likeable guy, but sans any real heavy recoil, history is full of guys that made SA guns operate faster than more mechanical arms, with accuracy.

Practice seems to me is what drives success, above all else.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Ok,,,,, I'll add my 2-cents worth,,,,,, my Granddad bought me a SA Ruger .22 BearCat in 1963, I was 13, he "Filed" the front sight off, and showed me how to aim and fire, just as you would "Point" your finger at something, or someone,,,,,, and thats how I learned to shoot a Hand-Gun,,,,,, Fast forward to the future, I've had multiple flavors of Hand-Guns over the yrs, and what it came down to,,,, for me anyway, was that I didn't leave it at the house, or in the Truck or in Camp,,,,, it needs to be part of you, and on your "Person" without even thinking about it,,,,, so, whether it's a SA or a DA,,,, it's what your comfortable/familiar with, and able to make that 1st shot count,,,,, so since about 2002, I've been packin a S&W 329PD .44Mag, albeit a Highly Modified Version,,,,,,, and that my Friends, is my Story, and I'm sticking to it......
Lj cool

Last edited by AK375DGR; 12/10/20. Reason: gramer...

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

School of the hit what you aim at with whatever you're carrying.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

197 members (160user, 257 mag, 338rcm, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 15 invisible), 1,628 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,858
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.