Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dantheman
Originally Posted by dingo

I have a 270WSM and 270Win both with 24" barrels. When loaded with 140gn bullets my 270 Win outperforms the 270WSM by a good margin, despite having less case capacity. Go figure !

Try a different bullet powder combination. Initially I was shooting 140 grain Hornady Interlocks using R-22 and getting 3088 with my 270 WSM.
I changed the powder to R-25 and the bullet to a 140 grain SST and got about 3175. My goal was 3200 fps. Both loads show exceptional accuracy.

I could probably try Magpro and hit 3200 fps but I don't think the deer is going to know the difference at this point.

Dan

I use rel 22 and 130bt and getting a 5 shot average 3256 magneto speed win 70 with very good accuracy.

Last edited by DANNYL; 12/10/20.
HR IC

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I pretty much thought that they were “still born”! An answer to a question, that no one asked! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The only short/ fat I care for is the .450 Marlin.
With the bottlenecks, I like a longer round, with a longer , gentle shoulder. I see no advantage with wsm's.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I’ve run a 270 wsm in a browning since they first came out. Always liked the cartridge and the rifle. Good accuracy, fed well, and 3 round mag was fine +1 in chamber. Then I started reading about all the problems with the wsm and wondered what the heck. To me the wsm is nice in that you can download it if needed and run it hot when you need. I’m a big fan and my wsm isn’t going anywhere.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I just purchased 325 and 7mm WSM brass from Reloading Unlimited. Red WW packs and two of the 7mm brass have wrinkles in the shoulders and are unuseable.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by twintips16

WSM's dying????

They were never really alive, from a relative sales perspective...................not that they weren't/arent good.

Just a case of too many choices & the market too diluted.

If someone is starting from scratch, they are all great choices.

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Last edited by dingo; 12/23/20.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Never been able to see the need for any wiss -um, to each their own. Rio7

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by twintips16

WSM's dying????

They were never really alive, from a relative sales perspective...................not that they weren't/arent good.

Just a case of too many choices & the market too diluted.

If someone is starting from scratch, they are all great choices.

MM

I don't know, JB said that when the .300 WSM came out he spoke to Winchester and they told him it sold 8 times more than they had predicted.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
My 270 WSM ain’t dead.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Some of us bought a ss plastic fantastic 70 7 Wissum for a bit between jack schart and sweet Phark all so as long as I'm not too drain bamaged to form brass I'll keep it running.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I remember the .270, 7mm, and .300 WSM's being somewhat popular when they first came out, and I even owned a .300 and .270 for a short time. I also remember the biggest complaint from reloaders was not being able to match factory numbers with any off the shelf powders, but not sure if that has changed with some of the newer powders. Personally, I never loaded for either of mine, so I can't really say either way. I do know I've seen a few .325 WSM's on local shelves that the stores just about couldn't give away, ammo availability is an issue.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JMR40
I just can't see buying any of the short magnums. I see no need,

That is because Winchester never marketed them right. And no one but Kimber builds a WSM designed around the cartridges strengths. If you're going to build a rifle the same size and weight as a standard belted magnum cartridge there is very little reason to choose any of the WSM's over traditional magnum cartridges. The short action vs long action alone isn't enough difference to matter.

My personal experience is with 300 WSM, but the principle applies to all of them. I could load 300 WSM to within 50 fps of 300 WM, but with 10-15 gr less powder. The combination of less powder and slightly less speed results in recoil that exactly splits the difference between 30-06 and 300 WM in the same weight rifle. OR, I could put together a 300 WSM that weighed 7.5 lbs that recoiled exactly the same as an 8.5 lb 300 WM.

The purpose of the WSM's was to be able to have a lighter weight mountain rifle with performance that was about 98% of 300WM, but with manageable recoil. A 7.5 lb scoped 300 WM will get your attention. A 7.5 lb 300 WSM is much more pleasant to shoot.

I don't think the 300 or 270 WSM will be going under. The 7mm WSM might well be the best of the bunch, but it's introduction was delayed for about a year after the other 2. They had enough of a head start that it never caught up. I can see it going under. The 300 WSM shoots the same bullet weigths as 325 WSM to exactly the same speed. But the 30's have MUCH better BC"s and beat the 325 easily. I never did figure out why they ever offered that one.

Great post.

It's interesting living in whitetail country that the 300 wsm is out of favor. During this ammo shortage, almost every store still has some factory 300 wsm on the shelves.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Around here the Wissums sold to the guys who top them with Saskatchewan Super Sniper Seal Six Spy Scopes, wear magic hunting boots, wear full camo of the latest pattern, a belt knife suitable for trench warfare, driving King Ranch Fords, and if you do (rarely) see them outside their pickup, they are staring at a Garmin Neverlost or their smartphone. Hunting fashionistas. As you go further east in this county out of the dense timber, into the sagebrush country...then you begin to see equipment that would shame Delta Force, 1,400 yard shots being more common there.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The point of the WSM cartridges is to get near magnum performance in a shorter, lighter rifle. In other words, not offering new ballistics is the whole goal of the WSM cartridge design. The point being, manufacturers can then build a rifle that is light and handy, and still get 300WM ballistics (or 7mm Rem Mag, etc). Put another way, chambering an action built for a 300WM in 300WSM is indeed dumb. But, that is what most manufacturers do/did.

Pretty much only one manufacturer, Kimber, built a rifle around the WSM cartridge dimensions. And, a Kimber Montana in 300WSM is a joy to carry and gives up nothing to the 300WM in the field. Maybe eastern hunters in thick forest and in tree stands don't appreciate the weight savings, but us guys running around the Rocky Mountains sure do.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Last edited by shinbone; 01/03/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shinbone
The point of the WSM cartridges is to get near magnum performance in a shorter, lighter rifle. In other words, not offering new ballistics is the whole goal of the cartridge design. The point being, manufacturers can then build a rifle that is light and handy, and still get 300WM ballistics (or 7mm Rem Mag, etc). Put another way, chambering an action built for a 300WM in 300WSM is indeed dumb. But, that is what most manufacturers do/did.

Pretty much only one manufacturer, Kimber, built a rifle around the WSM cartridge dimensions. And, a Kimber Montana in 300WSM is a joy to carry and gives up nothing to the 300WM in the field. Maybe eastern hunters in thick forest and in tree stands don't appreciate the weight savings, but us guys running around the Rocky Mountains sure do.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Jim Borden builds an action specifically for the WSM. I sold a 7mm SAUM, a couple .30-06s, a Kimber .338, and a 673 in .350 Rem to fund the build and it was the best rifle purchase I have ever made. I never thought I’d be a 1 gun hunter, but I haven’t carried another rifle in 3 years. It’s incredibly easy cartridge to load for, effortless to carry, and has performed well on everything from whitetail to bison. I really hope it’s here to stay.

------------------------
John
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The Winchester M70 WSM action is not a magnum length. Nor is it a short action. Built specifically for the WSM it is.

Are you referencing total weight?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by WTM45
The Winchester M70 WSM action is not a magnum length. Nor is it a short action. Built specifically for the WSM it is.

Are you referencing total weight?

WTM45 - if you are talking about my post, I am referencing action length, girth, and weight.

I know Winchester and Browning have different action lengths, which helps, but, as far as I can tell, they did nothing with girth, and so their actions can still be a little chunky compared to a Kimber.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Darn near everything out there for the WSM is "chunky" compared to a Kimber 8400. Can be said for comparing other short actions and long actions to the 84M and 84L actions also.

But Winchester DID build their M70 in WSM in a length they deemed appropriate for their factory loading COAL blueprints. It is lighter and shorter than their LA or Mag receiver. Purposefully designed. Lighter and shorter than their magnum receivers.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yup, that's my understanding of the Winchester action sizing, too.

Point being, with the WSMs, its about a lighter/shorter rifle, not beating the ballistics of the other magnums that were already available at the time. Funny how Kimber beat Winchester at its own game, too.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 8MMX57JS, Akhutr, 8 invisible), 871 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,109
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.