Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
. BTW, what do those missiles painted on the side of your aircraft represent?

AGM-88 HARM missiles we shot in Kosovo hunting SAM sites during Allied Force.

SA6? 2K12 Kub?

Collected the whole set but . grin 6's were our primary target - the Hornets and F-16 could handle the easier SA-2 and 3. The 6's were the experienced operators and had been modified and we had a much greater capability than the single seat guys to customize the missile targeting to defeat their countermeasures,

I know you guys put a hurting on them that FORCED them to get much quicker when they wanted to use them.

Me

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
After almost 24 hours and no beeper, no voice, it is beginning to sound not good.

Unsubstantiated word on one of the pilot sites was there was no ejection. No idea about the report of the seat.

Local news media from that area stated that the search for the pilot was still ongoing at 17:30 local. A couple of choppers outfitted with FLIR were on scene.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's a very small world in the services. re: pugs at Aviano.

They will search until they find him or her. Either way.

Last edited by RockyRaab; 12/09/20.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
It's a very small world in the services. re: pugs at Aviano.

They will search until they find him or her. Either way.

Yep and I had a pard that was there in the Navy at the time. He was a seabee by trade but I don't know what he was doing there exactly. Heard he was some O-7's jeep jockey - so to speak.

I worked intel on the area in question long after the bombing was over.

Me

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by blairvt
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
. BTW, what do those missiles painted on the side of your aircraft represent?

AGM-88 HARM missiles we shot in Kosovo hunting SAM sites during Allied Force.

hey man. I worked Intel at Aviano during the Kosovo bombing. I'm Air Force but we briefed the Navy and Marine crews there.

Then I'm sure we saw each other during strike planning. That pic was Aviano.

Seems like I remember talking about this before with you. Can you believe that's been 20 years? Since then I've been in Iraq and Afghanistan and a couple other sh#@holes.
The Serbs were were really good at playing hide and seek with those 6's.
The Marine's didn't appreciate the "cable cutter" comments either. Hope that guy is ok but time isn't on his side.

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Sure wish we could hear some positive news about this pilot.

Last edited by Idaho_Shooter; 12/09/20.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Watched the news here this morning, they have not said anything about the F-16 or the pilot. Anyone hear if they found the pilot yet?

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I'm would really like to hear more as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nothing new to report as of an hour ago. Still searching.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I know that country well. Pretty remote and rugged.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
https://www.yahoo.com/news/wisconsin-air-national-guard-f-142033813.html

Article dated 12/6 7:20am (yesterday morning) says the pilot is still missing. I'm not familiar with ejection protocols, Cessna 172's didn't have that option when I flew them. I'm assuming the pilot ejected based on the comments he's missing, otherwise there would be a body at the crash site. I spend a lot of time in the UP as a kid, it's remote and heavily wooded, but I can't imagine the pilot can't ping a cell tower. I also assume his ejection seat and on-body flight equipment has a radio of some sort, maybe even an EPIRB. That leaves only two options, he's dead hanging in a tree somewhere, or he's alive and does not want to be found. What does the fire think?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm

Article dated 12/6 7:20am (yesterday morning) says the pilot is still missing. I'm not familiar with ejection protocols, Cessna 172's didn't have that option when I flew them. I'm assuming the pilot ejected based on the comments he's missing, otherwise there would be a body at the crash site. I spend a lot of time in the UP as a kid, it's remote and heavily wooded, but I can't imagine the pilot can't ping a cell tower. I also assume his ejection seat and on-body flight equipment has a radio of some sort, maybe even an EPIRB. That leaves only two options, he's dead hanging in a tree somewhere, or he's alive and does not want to be found. What does the fire think?

The place is riddled with logging trails. Even an amateur outdoors man could find there way to a main road.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm

The place is riddled with logging trails. Even an amateur outdoors man could find there way to a main road.

When there isn't a lot of snow here we've loaded up our sleds and gone to the U.P. for long weekends. As long as you have enough fuel with you you can go for days. Plenty of trails and easy to get lost if you don't have a GPS.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Just announced, the pilot died in the crash.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Damn.
RIP.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's what many of us expected to hear. Sad, sad, sad.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
An F-16 Fighting Falcon assigned to the Wisconsin Air National Guard’s 115th Fighter Wing takes off from the Truax Field Air National Guard Base in Madison.
File photo/Wisconsin Air National Guard
An F-16 Fighting Falcon assigned to the Wisconsin Air National Guard’s 115th Fighter Wing takes off from the Truax Field Air National Guard Base in Madison.
MADISON (WKOW) -- The Wisconsin Air National Guard’s 115th Fighter Wing has announced the death of the F-16 pilot who crashed Wednesday in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.

In accordance with Department of Defense policy, the 115th Fighter Wing will not release the pilot’s identity until 24 hours after notifying the service member’s next of kin, according to a news release.

“We are deeply saddened by this tragic loss, and our thoughts and prayers are with the family during this difficult time,” 115th Fighter Wing commander Col. Bart Van Roo said. “Today is a day for mourning, and the 115th Fighter Wing along with the entire Wisconsin National Guard stands with the pilot’s family as we grieve the loss of a great Airman, and patriot.”

“We are an extremely close knit group at the fighter wing, and the loss of one of our own brings immeasurable sadness to every member of our organization,” he said.

The crash occurred within Michigan’s Hiawatha National Forest during a training mission Tuesday night. A multi-state, interagency search for the pilot and aircraft immediately followed the crash. The cause of the crash is under investigation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bad news indeed.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn. I was hoping for the best.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sad news, dangerous job, RIP

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (160user, 1eyedmule, 1234, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,831
Posts18,496,677
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.